advertisement

Alernatives to Labour

No, they’re not. This fallacy has been corrected upthread
It is not a fallacy if they fail to get their message across. One thing is what they describe as their economic policy, in very vague and general terms. Another is giving the voters the impression that they do have a clear-cut, concrete position on specific economic issues in a sufficiently vigorous way to emancipate them from being seen as just "green."

It may have been, but as long as this perception remains the Greens will go nowhere. PFM is a reasonably well informed group, and if a few people here believe the Greens to be a bunch of sandal wearing tree huggers who like to cycle to yogurt knitting classes in a yurt then you can bet that this is reflected elsewhere.
Preconception is different to reality, and if people, pfmers included, are determined to cling to preconceptions even after the evidence based reality has been shown to them, as they do, then that is not the fault of Reality or those demonstrating it.

It is not a fallacy if they fail to get their message across. One thing is what they describe as their economic policy, in very vague and general terms. Another is giving the voters the impression that they do have a clear-cut, concrete position on specific economic issues in a sufficiently vigorous way to emancipate them from being seen as just "green."
Not true. If people prefer their own ignored to looking at reality, that is the problem. It’s all very well repeating the lie that the Greens are a one trick pony, but have you taken the time to read what has been put in front of you?

Preconception is different to reality, and if people, pfmers included, are determined to cling to preconceptions even after reality has been shown to them, as they do, then that is not the fault of Reality or those speaking it.
Sure, but it's the fault of a political party if it can't adequately communicate what it's about. To a receptive audience or otherwise. Or is it OK to "win the argument", rather like Jeremy Corbyn? Didn't do him much good, did it?

It may have been, but as long as this perception remains the Greens will go nowhere. PFM is a reasonably well informed group, and if a few people here believe the Greens to be a bunch of sandal wearing tree huggers who like to cycle to yogurt knitting classes in a yurt then you can bet that this is reflected elsewhere.

If they can't even get bin collection right for a small seaside area, or get a boiler fixed, it doesn't bode well for any ability to step up to the challenge of running a whole country.

https://www.letsrecycle.com/news/brighton-inhouse-misses-collection-targets/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-64332332

Sure, but it's the fault of a political party if it can't adequately communicate what it's about. To a receptive audience or otherwise. Or is it OK to "win the argument", rather like Jeremy Corbyn? Didn't do him much good, did it?
You can’t communicate to people who put their fingers in their ears and won’t listen.

Jeremy Corbyn did not win the argument, but that does not mean he was wrong. It was just that people preferred to believe the comfortable lies rather than listen to the arguments.

You can’t communicate to people who put their fingers in their ears and won’t listen.
I know. But not everyone here has their fingers in their ears. You aren't communicating if you so categorise everyone who doesn't agree with everything you say, and that's what you are doing here. "I've made my point, I'm right, and if anyone chooses not to listen to me then they're just not listening, it's their loss" is the worst kind of lazyness.

Jeremy Corbyn did not win the argument, but that does not mean he was wrong. It was just that people preferred to believe the comfortable lies rather than listen to the arguments.
Jeremy Corbyn didn't win bugger-all, particularly not an election. That's what got us another 4 years of the current shower. He couldn't win a church raffle if he bought all the tickets. He was, and remains, bloody useless.

I know. But not everyone here has their fingers in their ears. You aren't communicating if you so categorise everyone who doesn't agree with everything you say, and that's what you are doing here. "I've made my point, I'm right, and if anyone chooses not to listen to me then they're just not listening, it's their loss" is the worst kind of arrogance.
Arrogance? straight in with the insults again, nice. No, the worst type of arrogance is making stuff up when someone disagrees with you. I didn’t say “I’ve made my point…..blah, blah, blah” What I said was that if people prefer to ignore evidence that challenges their preconceptions, if people refuse to even consider or read evidence put before them, then you can’t communicate with them.
Jeremy Corbyn didn't win bugger-all, particularly not an election. That's what got us another 4 years of the current shower. He couldn't win a church raffle if he bought all the tickets. He was, and remains, bloody useless.

Again, you make stuff up, I didn’t say he won anything.

However, the bald fact of the matter is that Corbyn was the only alternative to right wing neoliberalism to come along in half a century. That you dismiss that alternative, and the Green alternative just lends more power to Thatcher’s nonsense that There is No Alternative.

I know. But not everyone here has their fingers in their ears. You aren't communicating if you so categorise everyone who doesn't agree with everything you say, and that's what you are doing here. "I've made my point, I'm right, and if anyone chooses not to listen to me then they're just not listening, it's their loss" is the worst kind of lazyness.

Actually, as an activist I thought he was very effective, he was just useless as a leader.

The first item of business is to get rid of (and ideally electorally annihilate) the Tories, and with the FPTP system I'm afraid this means that tactical voting is the order of the day. First remove the terminal political cancer in Westminster, then work on improving the nation's political health.

Arrogance? straight in with the insults again, nice.
I edited it to "lazyness" while you were quoting it. So lazyness it is.

[quote[ I didn’t say “I’ve made my point…..blah, blah, blah” [/quote]
That's what you imply when you say:
What I said was that if people prefer to ignore evidence that challenges their preconceptions, if people refuse to even consider or read evidence put before them, then you can’t communicate with them.
because this *implies* that everyone who doesn't agree with you has their fingers in their ears. You neglect to consider that there is a continuum of people out there. Sure, some will be deaf for ever. Some wil think like you. In between the two is a vast range of people who are listening. This is your audience, if you elect to dismiss them as "preferring to ignore" you then that's up to you.

Again, you make stuff up, I didn’t say he won anything.
Where did I say you did? Now who's making stuff up?

However, the bald fact of the matter is that Corbyn was the only alternative to right wing neoliberalism to come along in half a century.
Really? Forgotten Blair/Brown? Are they too right wing neoliberals in your mind?

That you dismiss that alternative, and the Green alternative just lends more power to Thatcher’s nonsense that There is No Alternative.
If Corbyn is the only alternative, God help us all. That really is no alternative. Also, where do I dismiss the Green alternative? A quote would be good, and let's just be clear that criticising someone's ability to communicate is hardly dismissal.

The first item of business is to get rid of (and ideally electorally annihilate) the Tories, and with the FPTP system I'm afraid this means that tactical voting is the order of the day. First remove the terminal political cancer in Westminster, then work on improving the nation's political health.

The Scottish nationalists will scupper that plan.

Actually, as an activist I thought he was very effective, he was just useless as a leader.
Yes, he was. But this is "Labour Party as campaigning group" which has been very apparent in their strategy for a while. I've been critical of that here in the past. If you are the Greens, then it makes sense. They don't have the people to get elected into government, so they gain progress by getting mainstream parties to adopt their policies. Great. But Labour shouldn't be doing this. They are the alternative party of government. They need to be in charge. To be in charge you have to be elected. Blair and Brown effected an enormous amount of positive change in this country. Did they get it all right, all the time? Of course not. But the alternative was what we have seen for the last 12 years, of an increasingly authoritarian right wing government selling off the country to their friends and trousering the proceeds.

advertisement

Back