advertisement

Alernatives to Labour

As far as following economic theories, I doubt there is much between ‘Stare-more’ and Sturgid.

I have my doubts about that. The point is that Sturgeon and the SNP *have* done things like shifted upward the income tax 'burden' so the higher incomes pay more whilst the low-incomes pay less, with an overall increase in tax take. Plus adding more public spending on welfare methods. Whereas Stare-more seems terrified of being branded "tax and spend" by the Tories. i.e. he tacitly accepts the bogus 'standard view' that the response to *all* problems is "lower tax rates and reduced public spending".

If you want to know my views on economics and tax, etc, they pretty much align with Galbraith or Ha-Joon Chang's. Recommend Chang's books. His "Economics: A user's Guide" is an excellent summary of the reasons that the standard view of "TINA" is dribble, and explaines the alternatives quite well.

The real problem for the UK isn't "taxes too high". It is the leeching away of wealth by the kleptocratic few, dodging tax as it goes. And the way that is all -mostly - hidden in plain sight. Camoflaged by the Tory press, etc. It gets reported in PE, but most people are kept down on mushroom farm... And I see no sign that Stare-more will do anything about that. Just another Blair...

I'd love to find I'm wrong. But I'm not expecting anything.

I have my doubts about that. The point is that Sturgeon and the SNP *have* done things like shifted upward the income tax 'burden' so the higher incomes pay more whilst the low-incomes pay less, with an overall increase in tax take. Plus adding more public spending on welfare methods. Whereas Stare-more seems terrified of being branded "tax and spend" by the Tories. i.e. he tacitly accepts the bogus 'standard view' that the response to *all* problems is "lower tax rates and reduced public spending".

If you want to know my views on economics and tax, etc, they pretty much align with Galbraith or Ha-Joon Chang's. Recommend Chang's books. His "Economics: A user's Guide" is an excellent summary of the reasons that the standard view of "TINA" is dribble, and explaines the alternatives quite well.

The real problem for the UK isn't "taxes too high". It is the leeching away of wealth by the kleptocratic few, dodging tax as it goes. And the way that is all -mostly - hidden in plain sight. Camoflaged by the Tory press, etc. It gets reported in PE, but most people are kept down on mushroom farm... And I see no sign that Stare-more will do anything about that. Just another Blair...

I'd love to find I'm wrong. But I'm not expecting anything.
More patronising. Yes, I know all of that already, but thanks for the tips and your interest in my education, however, I do not buy the ‘bogus standard view’ gibberish. I am not in favour of ‘lower tax rates and reduced public spending’, how you gained the opposite impression is a mystery.

Stare-more lives in the real world of politics and wants to win the next GE, in that regard too. A major difference between Stare-more and Sturgid is Stare-more wants to remove the tories for the benefit of the UK, Sturgid wants to isolate Scotland from its biggest trading partner, making Scotland poorer, for example by putting obstacles in the way of £52bn pa of exports all due to narrow-minded nationalism. It is repeating the damage of brexit all over again for Scotland, and just like brexit, your party has no plan.

Erm... my earlier comments should have made clear that I have no "party". My interest is the end result. *IF* Staremore can deliver that, great. If not, the SNP show fairly clearly they're heading that way because they aren't terrified of upsetting the Daily Maul. And the behaviour of Stare-more thus far mimics Blair - right down to the Prince of Darkness now advising him. That version of "real world economics" has failed us since TINA arrived.

In general terms I'd recommend people to read the books by Ha-Joon Chang to get some idea of the basis of much of my viewpoint. (Before that came Galbraith, but not everyone likes his 'dry wit acadmic' style. :) )

A glimmer of hope from Bristol:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1621305256171737090

I hope that this translates to a second MP for the Green Party. Bristol West looks vulnerable and, frankly, Thangham Debonnaire, the current Labour MP will be no great loss.

I also hope it's a sign of things to come in other large cities where Labour is doing its utmost to alienate young, broadly progressive voters.

I’d say that no other party leader has done more to remove seats from the Tories in Westminster over the past 12 years than the Scottish First Minister. Furthermore her party has done more to protect the low paid and vulnerable than anything Labour’s been proposing. Rent freeze, ban on no fault evictions, higher pay offers to public service workers, esp nurses and doubled child payments.
Higher rate tax increases and stamp duty to fund it.

Labour appear far too close to the Tories for my liking, in fact they’re in coalition with them in Scottish local authorities and that’s one reason they have only on MP left in Scotland.

Erm... my earlier comments should have made clear that I have no "party". My interest is the end result. *IF* Staremore can deliver that, great. If not, the SNP show fairly clearly they're heading that way because they aren't terrified of upsetting the Daily Maul. And the behaviour of Stare-more thus far mimics Blair - right down to the Prince of Darkness now advising him. That version of "real world economics" has failed us since TINA arrived.

In general terms I'd recommend people to read the books by Ha-Joon Chang to get some idea of the basis of much of my viewpoint. (Before that came Galbraith, but not everyone likes his 'dry wit acadmic' style. :) )
Some appear unable to understand that my interest is also the end result....of replacing the tory govt.

I would prefer a centre left party rather than the current Labour party but the only party that can replace the tories is the current Labour party.

Those 40 seats that had been held by Labour in Scotland, the seats where people voted Labour out does not help Labour gain a majority in a UK GE. This bothers me because my interest is in the UK rather than narrow-minded, nationalistic nonsense.

I’d say that no other party leader has done more to remove seats from the Tories in Westminster over the past 12 years than the Scottish First Minister. Furthermore her party has done more to protect the low paid and vulnerable than anything Labour’s been proposing. Rent freeze, ban on no fault evictions, higher pay offers to public service workers, esp nurses and doubled child payments.
Higher rate tax increases and stamp duty to fund it.

Labour appear far too close to the Tories for my liking, in fact they’re in coalition with them in Scottish local authorities and that’s one reason they have only on MP left in Scotland.
This is utter nonsense.

Take a look at this, The 7 Deadly Innocent Frauds taken from Galbraith

https://moslereconomics.com/wp-content/powerpoints/7DIF.pdf

I'll have a read - although I confess that I find reading PDFs, etc, onscreen a bit eye-taxing for my dodgy eyesight. Find print on paper far easier. So I may have to go for finding printed info from the author, etc.

BTW if anyone wants to get some idea of how the Tax/Benefits in Scotland now differ from England, this may help
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001g8dm
Its an old 'Moneybox' programme that outlines the main details and gets some vox pops that seem to show people here tend to support the changes wrt the standard Tory/Blue-Labour approach.

I'll have a read - although I confess that I find reading PDFs, etc, onscreen a bit eye-taxing for my dodgy eyesight. Find print on paper far easier. So I may have to go for finding printed info from the author, etc.

BTW if anyone wants to get some idea of how the Tax/Benefits in Scotland now differ from England, this may help
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001g8dm
Its an old 'Moneybox' programme that outlines the main details and gets some vox pops that seem to show people here tend to support the changes wrt the standard Tory/Blue-Labour approach.
Likewise. I print off from the PDF, it also gives me chance to scribble notes too.

advertisement

Back