advertisement

Addis pads - probably the greatest single upgrade ever…in the world!

There might well be some gains to putting pads+bumpers beneath solid state stuff (I've went and done it anyway) but the big winners are speakers and no doubt other electromechanical stuff.

What's your pre? I presume you're using the Amptastic in poweramp mode?
Yes amptastic in power amp mode..my pre is a LFD passive pre with a stepped attenuator per channel..I collect little amps and poo pooed Amptastic until I bought one...I just bought a Schiit Rekkr two watt tiny amp..I'm not saying the amptastic is better than my bantam stealth amp or better than my kingrex amp..it's different..and in power amp mode through a exacting pre amp..hells teeth..it's awesome..wasn't expecting that! For 120 odd quid? Only fault I can think of is taking apart to change it to power amp mode..the nut around the volume switch is poor quality and putting the bolts back in was interesting? I managed to not cross thread them..more by luck I think..the case and switch feel cheap..but the binding posts are nice quality and it sounds so good it hardly matters about anything else.. brilliant amptastic

Having read this and your excitement about some pads...

You, Sir, would absolutely lose your shit if you ever heard some Gaia's under your speakers ;)
I have the Gaia's and the cheap Auralex subdudes that they replaced, performed every bit as well. Love the bling of the Gaia's though.

I have the Gaia's and the cheap Auralex subdudes that they replaced, performed every bit as well. Love the bling of the Gaia's though.
Been there and tried those. Not the same experience for me, the Gaia's were markedly better. Additionally, considerably more secure (less wobbly). But I shan't comment further as to not detract from OP's thread.

Been there and tried those. Not the same experience for me, the Gaia's were markedly better. Additionally, considerably more secure (less wobbly). But I shan't comment further as to not detract from OP's thread.
Naturally enough, comparisons will be made. I am fascinated by the OP's findings. Will try this Addis stuff out. Cheap as chips so nothing to loose.

Well, first of all thanks to Windhoek for some pads, which I collected from him earlier this evening. (And thanks for the cuppa and the chat and the music too!) It was really good to hear Tannoys again. His system certainly has a lovely sense of the music hanging in space, not coming from the speakers.

I've installed the pads in my own system now, under my little Bandor wide-rangers, which are sitting on top of woofer cabs. I think there's something in this! I'm listening to VW's London Symphony (Boult, LSO) as I write, and there a really good sense of the 'flow' of the music, as well as a reduction in the 'edge' that this recording can have, I think. It's hard to be sure it's not expectation bias, and I have changed a few things in my system this week, but I really like what I'm hearing. I need to get some bumpers now, and see how things sound when I add them in.

For real?!!!

Okay, B&M when I next go past then... for a few quid I'll give it a go. Mine are 44kg each. I will post my less exuberant thoughts when I've tried.

I very much suspect I'll be putting the Gaia's straight back on, but I would be extremely happy to be wrong about that.

FWIW, I did try a load of different low-cost stuff before I tried Gaia's, which instantly ended my faffing. If you've not tried washing machine anti vibration feet, that was the best I found. About a tenner for a set of 8.
I've got 4 washing machine feet that I took off an old washer for nothing last week. They work.

@windhoek , to confirm correct orientation, the bumper is in contact with the speaker and the ADDIS is in contact with the stand/floor?
You're joking, right? If not, the thing is that this sort of experimentation doesn't have a "correct" . A different way might be better still. As might a folded towel, squash balls, blu tak, etc *in your system*. So try both ways.

You're joking, right? If not, the thing is that this sort of experimentation doesn't have a "correct" . A different way might be better still. As might a folded towel, squash balls, blu tak, etc *in your system*. So try both ways.
'Correct' was the wrong word, I was trying to obtain a point of reference by confirming the orientation @windhoek is using.

I collect little amps and poo pooed Amptastic until I bought one...hells teeth..it's awesome..wasn't expecting that! For 120 odd quid?..it sounds so good it hardly matters about anything else.. brilliant amptastic

Sorry for thread diversion, but (quote edited to relevant parts of original post), the little, super low-cost Amptastic is a freaking beast of a deal. 90% of quality of my £2.4k Sugden. An absolute steal. Just ridiculous value...

I have one too...

Not sold for while, but there's a few left on ebay. Peanuts for super high quality for the money if you have efficient speakers. This will reset your expectations of being small and cheap and what is possible, very good indeed.

Thank me later ;)

.Perhaps we all should experiment more.

Also readily available ,cheap ,and, in this case, delicious ..

83320153-D072-426-C-8-A4-C-FF45-C22-DBA55.jpg

Well, first of all thanks to Windhoek for some pads, which I collected from him earlier this evening. (And thanks for the cuppa and the chat and the music too!) It was really good to hear Tannoys again. His system certainly has a lovely sense of the music hanging in space, not coming from the speakers.

I've installed the pads in my own system now, under my little Bandor wide-rangers, which are sitting on top of woofer cabs. I think there's something in this! I'm listening to VW's London Symphony (Boult, LSO) as I write, and there a really good sense of the 'flow' of the music, as well as a reduction in the 'edge' that this recording can have, I think. It's hard to be sure it's not expectation bias, and I have changed a few things in my system this week, but I really like what I'm hearing. I need to get some bumpers now, and see how things sound when I add them in.

Great to have you over last night and the chat around uni and stuff was uncanny. Just magic :)

Yeah, the good thing about trying them yourself is that you'll have a familiar point of reference. I settled on felt pads sometime last year following some experimentation with different interfaces as felt pads seemed to do the best job at allowing my speakers to sing without suffering too many compromises or consequences rather. Some interfaces had the ability to dull the presentation while others tipped things towards a shrillness. But compared to the felt pads, which I thought was an excellent interface, the Addis pads+bumper combo is streets ahead.

Suffice to say, I look forward to hearing how things go once you get some bumpers/small rubber feet.

CORRECTION

When I previously said I'd previously tried Isoacoustic Gaias under my Tannoys I should have said that I had different stands in place at the time: big Atacama things filled with fish tank gravel. So although I can't make a like-for-like comparison between the Addis pads+bumper combo and the Gaias, with all else being equal, the Addis pads+bumpers have taken my Tannoys to a completely new level I never heard when I had my old stands and Gaias in place.

Last edited:
OMG there’s a B&M next to the Aldi I go to. They had stock - of clear and grey. You never told us about options! I bought the grey after extensive prodding since I’m an ADDIS sheep and not confident enough to break ranks.

Sonic Design footers: http://www.sonicdesign.co.uk/contact.htm

I have used some of the grey colored ones under my Guru Juniors with good results, these are recommended by Guru, they used to sell them in their online shop, not sure if they still do or not. Also, when I owned my Larsen Model 4's, they also included a set of SD footers, which seemed to work well with those speakers as well. Must be a Swedish thing! :)

Congrats too Derek for the Addis Pad tip, tweakery at its finest! Very cool sir!

OMG there’s a B&M next to the Aldi I go to. They had stock - of clear and grey. You never told us about options! I bought the grey after extensive prodding since I’m an ADDIS sheep and not confident enough to break ranks.

Yeah, I saw that there are options. I picked the grey ones only because my Tannoys sit on smoked glass. But it begs the question, is there likely to be a difference between the clear pads and the grey pads, for presumably the grey pads will have built-in colouration??? Oh, I'm now in a quandary as to whether I should run out and pick up a clear set of pads just in case they're better. Or should I just blow that £2.50 on some Biscoff biscuits... decisions, decisions, decisions :D

There will actually be a difference. No, I'm not kidding. I did some work on a milk bottling line and the plastic caps were under review. The engineer from the cap manufacturer rang up, we were discussing fail rates and sealing.
"Yes Steve, it'll be your blues giving you trouble".
"Yeah right, and the fairies in the garden."
"No, seriously, it's the filler resin that gives the colour, the blues are stiffer."
I tested them and sure enough, the blues were harder than the others and this was causing failure and jams in the cap feeders.
I think we need to do some testing with and without colour and then we can market them at £20 for a set of 5 "selected material" feet.

Well maybe I'll just have to leave those Biscoff biscuits for another day and get myself some clear pads instead... if there's any left now that the word's out. Damn, should've bought both sets lol

They are translucent, clear, or semi translucent, grey. In this case I don’t think there’s any real difference.

I tried some under the Genelecs - the most obvious place since they sit on my other speakers. I haven’t listened to any music but I can now game on “very hard “.

Clears for analogue sources and grey for the others. Mine are clear !

Careful what you say - Many a word spoken in jest,.............

advertisement

Back