advertisement

Addis pads - probably the greatest single upgrade ever…in the world!

Well I was out in my bike anyway so I picked up a clear set to try them out. I'm not expecting to hear a noticeable difference but you never know.

But there’s no personal input in a piece of paper, no two people stick a bumper in the same way plus there are left handeds, right handeds and ambitrans.

Looks like these are being use for standmounted speakers.

I have floorstanders spiked on to granite bases on top of the carpet.

Could I put these little things between the granite bases (1 ft by 1 ft) and the floor?

Could I put these little things between the granite bases (1 ft by 1 ft) and the floor?

No problem. The Addis pads are hard to compress so big speakers plus granite slabs should be no problem. I use tiny bumpers beneath my speakers with the pads so I suppose you could always try whatever size you can get your hands and take it from there.

Fwiw, my speakers are sitting on 4 levels of mana which are coupled to the floor with spikes.

You certainly can. You can do what you like. Will you like the result? Well, that's for you to say.

Put pads instead of spikes to the floor

I've got a thick carpet and thick underlay between the floor and the Mana so I need spikes to ensure that the structure is absolutely solid and stable; also because my floor has a bit of slope in it, due to the age of the tenement, which is at least 100 years old and quite possibly around 150 years old.

They’re quite grippy and can be stacked. I’ve stuck three at the back of the Genelecs and one at the front to increase the tilt since they’re 1.3m up in the air. That obviously helps regardless of their sonic prowess.

I’ll probably experiment with the main speakers tomorrow but I’ll need a stack of 4-5 to replace spikes and keep the down firing bass where it should be. I’ve also chucked them under the Leak which seems a good candidate (easier said than done at the back) but haven’t listened yet.

They’re quite grippy and can be stacked. I’ve stuck three at the back of the Genelecs and one at the front to increase the tilt since they’re 1.3m up in the air. That obviously helps regardless of their sonic prowess.

I’ll probably experiment with the main speakers tomorrow but I’ll need a stack of 4-5 to replace spikes and keep the down firing bass where it should be. I’ve also chucked them under the Leak which seems a good candidate (easier said than done at the back) but haven’t listened yet.

Have you got some bumpers or small rubber feet to go with the pads? Either way, you should still get a sense of what they're all about even without bumpers. But adding some small bumpers is when the magic happens.

It'll be interesting to discover how a stack of pads changes things. I dunno if I'd risk putting 4 or 5 under my Tannoys. Two would be fine and probably three as well.
But for the sake of stability I don't know if I'd go any higher... but they're your speakers :)

I guess a bumper stack of three might just work for the main speakers. The Genelec stand has no purpose for bumpers really. That thing at the bottom allows some tilt and has slightly hollowed out feet:

geng3.jpg

I just sent Kelvin aka the YouTuber Stereo review X an email about this as low budget-high performance stuff is his cup of tea. With a bit of luck he'll do a video on it and spread the word.

I’ve got 4 levels of Mana under my Linn and will first be trying the Addis bumps as upside down feet/ interface between Mana glass and Linn plinth. The 3M bump-ons as recommended by JW in their day have turned into a gooey stain stuck on the glass. and look more like prime candidates for the Addis brush treatment, never mind the pads.
By the way, the Addis pads are suprisingly tough, considering the tenuous looking links between discs you have tocut them apart with a knife or scissors. I have similar looking cushioning transparent mats from a US company on myfridge glass shelves in irregular shapes rather than round discs but they are quite a different material that you can rip apart in your hands.

I just sent Kelvin aka the YouTuber Stereo review X an email about this as low budget-high performance stuff is his cup of tea. With a bit of luck he'll do a video on it and spread the word.
As marketing manager I advise you to contact B&M so a) they can cope, b) they send you 10% of sales.

advertisement

Back