advertisement

Addis pads - probably the greatest single upgrade ever…in the world!

I’ve got 4 levels of Mana under my Linn and will first be trying the Addis bumps as upside down feet/ interface between Mana glass and Linn plinth. The 3M bump-ons as recommended by JW in their day have turned into a gooey stain stuck on the glass. and look more like prime candidates for the Addis brush treatment, never mind the pads.
By the way, the Addis pads are suprisingly tough, considering the tenuous looking links between discs you have tocut them apart with a knife or scissors. I have similar looking cushioning transparent mats from a US company on myfridge glass shelves in irregular shapes rather than round discs but they are quite a different material that you can rip apart in your hands.

If the speakers in your avatar are your speakers then that's the first place I'd put some pads+bumpers. No need to worry about spikes and carpets, just plonk your speakers on top of them and off you go. That said, you get 300 pads per mat so I guess you've plenty of pads to choose from as well plenty of choices as to how you deploy them :)

I just tried putting the magic combo underneath my Roland JC-22 guitar amp and I'm pleased to say it does wonders for guitar amps as well. At first I tried simply putting Addis pads beneath the big rubber feet that were already on the amp but once I removed the rubber feet and placed small bumpers between amp and Addis pads as per, then even more magic was unleashed. I reckon speakers are the big winners when it comes to the magic combo. Right, where else can I put some...

If anyone uses their deck on Mana, I can confirm that these pads work really well , au naturel, between plinth and glass in substitution of the 3M bump-ons under each corner.
I’m off out to lookfor some small cupboard door stops. Will Rowntree’s Fruit Gums do the job ?

If anyone uses their deck on Mana, I can confirm that these pads work really well , au naturel, between plinth and glass in substitution of the 3M bump-ons under each corner.
I’m off out to lookfor some small cupboard door stops. Will Rowntree’s Fruit Gums do the job ?

My pre-Cirkus LP12 has a slight warp so I defo need bumpers to go along with the Addis pads. But if you've got the pads working by themselves then great!

You could stick some on the cheeks of your arse so that when sat in the sweet spot you get the full benefit.....also , as you have so many to spare , a few on the soles of your slippers can do no harm.

You know, I've already wondered whether putting some beneath my couch might improve things. You never know ;)

In all seriousness, I'm of the opinion that even with an array of test equipment, it could be a very onerous task to identify unwanted resonances, their frequencies, any demonstrable effect on SQ etc.

So for 'yer average Joe', there are three options:

1. Invest in some sort of 'one size fits all' ( more probably 'one size fits none') 'Isolation feet', mats, cones, pads,squidgy things, springs, etc.

2. Experiment with Addis pads and any number of other objects/materials, to see what happens. You may stumble across something which works, for you, or something that doesn't, but if buggering about is your 'bag', you'll have fun.

3. Just set up your chosen kit properly, play some music and stop fretting.

Many years ago, I was at a friend's . At the time he had a big Linn active system, with a full spec LP12 sitting on an oddball stand made by a chap called Dyer. Friend thought the stand had a magical effect on his LP12. We were playing CD, so we took the LP12 off the stand and put his pre-amp..(Kairn?) in its place. The result was a dramatic 'thinning' of the sound with an almost 'staticy' effect. We double checked that no wires had been disturbed and swapped the pre back and forth, with an entirely repeatable degradation of sound on the TT stand.
Moral? Supports can have an effect, but there is no universal 'magic' solution.

In all seriousness, I'm of the opinion that even with an array of test equipment, it could be a very onerous task to identify unwanted resonances, their frequencies, any demonstrable effect on SQ etc.

So for 'yer average Joe', there are three options:

1. Invest in some sort of 'one size fits all' ( more probably 'one size fits none') 'Isolation feet', mats, cones, pads,squidgy things, springs, etc.

2. Experiment with Addis pads and any number of other objects/materials, to see what happens. You may stumble across something which works, for you, or something that doesn't, but if buggering about is your 'bag', you'll have fun.

3. Just set up your chosen kit properly, play some music and stop fretting.

Many years ago, I was at a friend's . At the time he had a big Linn active system, with a full spec LP12 sitting on an oddball stand made by a chap called Dyer. Friend thought the stand had a magical effect on his LP12. We were playing CD, so we took the LP12 off the stand and put his pre-amp..(Kairn?) in its place. The result was a dramatic 'thinning' of the sound with an almost 'staticy' effect. We double checked that no wires had been disturbed and swapped the pre back and forth, with an entirely repeatable degradation of sound on the TT stand.
Moral? Supports can have an effect, but there is no universal 'magic' solution.

As I'm want to say, change one thing and you change everything. I've changed the interface between my speakers and the stands they sit on and the end sound has changed immensely. You might be right, a given solution and the subsequent outcome might not be to everyone's taste, in terms of end sound, so no arguments there. But certainly in my system, this change has been completely transformative.

Mmm, I've just thought of another way to use this stuff - as a turntable mat!

EDIT: a few comparisons later between mats and I think the Addis stuff sounds marginally better. There's a bit of flex with having a whole sheet of the stuff so I've had to put a mana spirit level on when playing a record. Unfortunately, I rolled up the mat I bought yesterday so I could fit it in my backpack so it might well be it still wants to roll up, as it were. I might buy another mat and see if I can't keep it nice and straight and then try again with that.

Mmm, I've just thought of another way to use this stuff - as a turntable mat!

EDIT: a few comparisons later between mats and I think the Addis stuff sounds marginally better. There's a bit of flex with having a whole sheet of the stuff so I've had to put a mana spirit level on when playing a record. Unfortunately, I rolled up the mat I bought yesterday so I could fit it in my backpack so it might well be it still wants to roll up, as it were. I might buy another mat and see if I can't keep it nice and straight and then try again with that.
Haven't you heard of spotmats and their many variations. Work very well.

https://www.theanalogdept.com/spotmat.htm

I was walking past the B&M store in a local mall so I went in and purchased an Addis Deluxe Sink Mat.

Got home and cut out 8 pads and attached small bumpers to each. I removed my Mordaunt Short Pageant Mk2’s from their stands and replaced the original flattened neoprene strip with a pad in each corner. Re-mounting the speakers proved to be more of a challenge than I anticipated! The first bumpers I used were clear and were quite hard and between that and the pads moving I was not happy with the speakers stability. So I removed the clear bumpers and fixed some smaller, softer black bumpers and fixed the pads to the stands with double sided tape, that made it much easier.

There is definitely a difference, and dare I say its an improvement. The sound is fuller and imagery is much more stable, funnily I was able to tune the “balance” on my Naim Nait much more easily. Regardless, they are now in and staying.

I purchased. Sadly, it didn't work for me. Well worth £2.50 for the messing about and anticipation of better sound quality though.

advertisement

Back