advertisement

Addis pads - probably the greatest single upgrade ever…in the world!

Anyway, have you tried them under your Amptastic? :)

I sure did. I don't think you get the same bang for buck compared to electromechanical things like speakers and turntables but I've pimped my Amptastic all the same.

I intend to update that thread in due course but in a nutshell, the Amptastic is almost as satisfying as my Tannoys on Addis pads. No kidding. It's probably the best headphone amplifier... in the world!

I sure did. I don't think you get the same bang for buck compared to electromechanical things like speakers and turntables but I've pimped my Amptastic all the same.

I intend to update that thread in due course but in a nutshell, the Amptastic is almost as satisfying as my Tannoys on Addis pads. No kidding. It's probably the best headphone amplifier... in the world!
The Amptastic in my system is really very good..I might try those Addis pads, however my passive pre amp makes the biggest difference to the sound by a wide margin..

@windhoek can I confirm that you are using a single 'disc' from the Addis sink protector with a single 'dot' applied to it? I have some 'dots' coming from ebay and SWMBO is going to get me a sink protector form B & M in the week. I'll make some up and if anyone wants a 'set of eight' (in the UK) let me know. I'll have enough 'dots' to make 3 sets.

Have you tried more than one Addis pad on top of each other?

I tried two pads together before I tried one pad with a sticky-on bumper on top and it didn't seem to make much of a difference versus one pad by itself. I guess that begs the question whether two pads with a bumper on top would sound even better. Although I reckon one pad+one bumper is all you need.

@windhoek can I confirm that you are using a single 'disc' from the Addis sink protector with a single 'dot' applied to it? I have some 'dots' coming from ebay and SWMBO is going to get me a sink protector form B & M in the week. I'll make some up and if anyone wants a 'set of eight' (in the UK) let me know. I'll have enough 'dots' to make 3 sets.

That's right, just one pad + one bumper x 8.

The Amptastic in my system is really very good..I might try those Addis pads, however my passive pre amp makes the biggest difference to the sound by a wide margin..

There might well be some gains to putting pads+bumpers beneath solid state stuff (I've went and done it anyway) but the big winners are speakers and no doubt other electromechanical stuff.

What's your pre? I presume you're using the Amptastic in poweramp mode?

Here are a few pics:

52774889545_e55e89c670_c.jpg

52774471211_ee63263f73_c.jpg

52774471216_d942ac48c6_c.jpg

The pads are grey and although it looks as though the bumpers are grey as well, they're transparent so they're just showing the colour of the Addis pad.

I checked the size of the bumpers I'm using and they're tiny: 3 or 4mm across and 2 or 3mm tall.

I just watched Stardust (2007) there and it turns out the interdimensional thing works with films as well as music. I felt as though I was on set for every scene. Just incredible! More crazy talk but it's how it is!

Having read this and your excitement about some pads...

You, Sir, would absolutely lose your shit if you ever heard some Gaia's under your speakers ;)

Been there, done that, nowhere near as good!
For real?!!!

Okay, B&M when I next go past then... for a few quid I'll give it a go. Mine are 44kg each. I will post my less exuberant thoughts when I've tried.

I very much suspect I'll be putting the Gaia's straight back on, but I would be extremely happy to be wrong about that.

FWIW, I did try a load of different low-cost stuff before I tried Gaia's, which instantly ended my faffing. If you've not tried washing machine anti vibration feet, that was the best I found. About a tenner for a set of 8.

For real?!!!

Okay, B&M when I next go past then... for a few quid I'll give it a go. Mine are 44kg each. I will post my less exuberant thoughts when I've tried.

I very much suspect I'll be putting the Gaia's straight back on, but I would be extremely happy to be wrong about that.

FWIW, I did try a load of different low-cost stuff before I tried Gaia's, which instantly ended my faffing. If you've not tried washing machine anti vibration feet, that was the best I found. About a tenner for a set of 8.

Yeah, I've tried a lot of stuff myself, from Gaias to the cheapest stuff I could find. I never got round to trying washing machine vibration feet though; funny, my mate was just on the phone a few minutes ago and he mentioned them. I really can't ever see myself swapping out the Addis pad+bumper combo. I suppose if I was a millionaire I might be inclined to try some Townsend isolation stuff but even then I might not bother.

advertisement

Back