advertisement

ADAM Audio Tensor Delta's & Lavry DA11.

The improvements are not minor. I listened to a particular track by Chris Clark, Totems Flare. It’s a track I know almost completely. The differences in detail image and depth has considerably improved. Not sure which part of the chain is making the bigger difference but from my experience speakers make 95% more of a difference than DAC's.

Yes the room is different and it’s not the final dedicated room I’m having built (which will be ready late Jan) but I know how my previous system sounds, I spent 6 months 5 days a week and 8 hours a day in front of it.

I would think it would be necessary to do a comparison at about the same time in the same room to draw such a firm conclusion, but it wouldn't be so much fun. Enjoy the Adams.

Paul

I would've really like to do a proper A/B dem but the previous system just wouldn't have worked for my current situation/commitments.
The Deltas are physically less than 2/3rd the size and weight, they're quite easy to setup and are an easy one man job to move and pack/unpack.

Wasn't overly fussed about changing the DAC but it has offered me the option of 110ohm digital input for a computer project i have in mind.

It has matching green LEDs to the Deltas :D

Stands; i like the Atacama SL500's but want some with bigger diametre verticals. Square section legs look wrong, the speakers are quite sculpted so a less industrial design would suite better - IMHO.

I have the all black versions on the left and would like the black stands on the right.
The ones in the pics have 90mm tubes but these can be spec'd with 105mm tubes and thicker top and bottom plates.
The price is something like 600euros IIRC when spec'd to my details.

Deltacolours.jpg

I like them :)
And they'd look even better with the larger diameter tubes.

The speakers look great on them. Squat and mean looking.

If i was to have some made, i think to have them finished to a very high standard would probably cost as much as these, but will investigate some more yet.
Would like to find a UK manufacturer who can make some just as good, even if they cost the same, getting them over here from Germany in one piece will be a challenge all of its own.

You could be right about the cost of a custom pair. Getting them made, prepared and sprayed to the same standard.........

Worth looking into though.

If implemented correctly, they form a perfect dipole:

quote:

The diaphragm pushes back and forward from itself in a physical motion similar to that observed when an accordion is pushed in and pulled out to pump air though the reed chambers, albeit over an exceedingly smaller motion range.

The result is a dipole driver with an extraordinarily rapid response rate, enabled by the extremely low mass of the polyester driver and the far smaller distance it travels on each “swing” compared to a dynamic driver. In this technical respect, it shares characteristics with the electrostatic driver.

The discernible motion of each diaphragm flexure is very small, but because of the folded structure, more air is moved than would be by a conventional cone or electrostatic driver of the same plotted surface area. As a matter of surface comparison, a standard 1-inch-wide (25 mm) AMT strip has a functional driver area comparable to an 8-inch-diameter (200 mm) circular dynamic cone. The folded driver design, combined with the small motion range, means the AMT acts like a point source version of a larger driver, inherently resulting in lower sound reproduction distortion. As a result of its motion pattern, the AMT "spits" the air out in a way similar to the action of shooting a watermelon seed from your hand by squeezing it between thumb and forefinger. The speed of the air as it leaves the diaphragm, is approximately five times faster than the speed of the actual driver structure, hence the name, Air Motion Transformer.

Although it is possible to operate the diaphragm without the magnetic field, using piezoelectric technology, this method has been used only by TakeT for their headphone and tweeter products.

Ok... Whooosh! (noise of stuff going over my head);)

So that'll be why they sound so fast then, sort of like a folded ESS.
At how many Hz does the midrange crossover to the woofer?

advertisement

Back