advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson: V Gone-ish!

Looks like he's refused to resign, so it'll be a vote of no confidence then the deputy will take over. He's so massively in denial about all this.

Families bereaved by Covid insisted Boris Johnson must still face justice at the public inquiry into the pandemic as they voiced concern that his resignation would see him make a fortune from writing and speeches while they remained scarred by grief.

“The Covid inquiry has only just been given the go ahead – two and a half years late,” said Lindsay Jackson, who lost her mother Sylvia Jackson to Covid on 17 April 2020. “I want to see people held to account – including Johnson – for the callous disregard he showed to my mum and the other souls who lost their lives.”

“This is a man who has presided over the deaths of 200,000 people, broken the laws he made, lied repeatedly to us, trashed our international reputation and has brought politics and politicians into disrepute,” she said. “There’s very little more that he could have done wrong. But he’s just losing his job. He’ll lick his wounds, blame everyone else and then make his millions. That’s not justice.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ay-inquiry-must-hold-boris-johnson-to-account

News reporting that D Raab saying he definitely wont be standing for the position of Tory Party leader. Maybe he recognises a poison chalice when it's on offer from a party in chaos. Internecine warfare raging behind closed doors about how to shovel a mountain of self-inflicted shit into the Thames when all they have to hand are pitchforks. All this, without the electorate noticing?

John

News reporting that D Raab saying he definitely wont be standing for the position of PM. Maybe he recognises a poison chalice when it's on offer from a Tory Party in chaos. Internecine warfare raging behind closed doors about how to shovel a mountain of self-inflicted shit into the Thames when all they have to hand are pitchforks. All this, without the electorate noticing?

John

I suspect his reasons are more boring, self awareness isn't a strong suit but the Kabul fiasco would never allow him a shot.

I suspect his reasons are more boring, self awareness isn't a strong suit but the Kabul fiasco would never allow him a shot.
Also pretty sure his spell when Boris was in hospital would have convinced him that PM wasn't the job for him. And rightly so.

John Sweeney on the £millions of Russian oligarch money flooding Tory Party coffers (Byline Times). From earlier this year, but worth a look for those still in denial about the corruption at the very heart of our politics. Johnson’s admission yesterday of unsupervised meetings with KGB assets makes it all highly relevant.

PS Tory nutter Angela Jenkins MP going full chimp at London crowds who had collected to boo Johnson (Twitter). Can’t work out what exactly she’s saying, but it is unquestionably the behaviour we expect from our elected representatives.

Suella Braverman had me shouting at the radio driving in to work this morning. She wants the PM gig and basically said that she would be leading the Conservatives as a fascist party. Not in those exact words, but she said she'd had enough of all this 'woke' business. As 'woke' means anti-fascist, anti-racist and aware of and trying to fix social injustices, she basically admitted live on the Today programme that the Tories are far-right extremists.

Suella Braverman had me shouting at the radio driving in to work this morning. She wants the PM gig and basically said that she would be leading the Conservatives as a fascist party. Not in those exact words, but she said she'd had enough of all this 'woke' business. As 'woke' means ant-fascist, anti-racist and aware of and trying to fix social injustices, she basically admitted live on the Today programme that the Tories are far-right extremists.

Heard that, she's a headcase.

Strikes me as a thoroughly good chap!

In recent years we have seen the rise in populism, where it's become harder to distinguish truth from lies so crackpot conspiracy theories become mainstream, where 'people have had enough of experts', there's a rise of hate- and fear-fuelled rhetoric, where societies become divided, people are swayed by demagogues; lies, corruption and cheating can be committed apparently without consequence, people en masse vote for stupidity and destructive policies, xenophobia, racism and the far-right are on the rise everywhere, and the so-called opposition are missing in action.

How does it feel knowing you're emboldening and enabling that Ponty? Does it feel good? Are you pleased with yourself?

advertisement

Back