advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson III

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are quite right. Sunak is not a tax evader, he is a tax avoider. While this is not legally wrong, the fact that he has decreed that taxes need to be raised to fund government spending, while avoiding paying as much tax as possible himself, is morally repugnant
I also think there is a world of difference between 'legitimate' avoidance of tax (eg offset against investments, or deductible against costs, or beneficial to both sides such as pensions and ISAs), and other forms of avoidance which skirt the edges of evasion - offshoring, blind trusts, dedicated avoidance 'investment' schemes, that sort of thing. Some of those things have in the past been shut down by HMRC because they were considered to have crossed the line - I recall one about investing in films, for example - because they serve no purpose other than to reduce the tax burden and wouldn't exist otherwise. I believe Sunak is up to his armpits in that sort of 'legal evasion' because they all are.

I think Sunak missed an opportunity by not doing the honourable thing and resigning yesterday. Apparently, he contemplated it and even wrote a resignation letter. Was he talked out of resigning? No doubt Boris would have felt under even more pressure had Sunak gone.

For me, the Conservative party as a whole is now tainting itself by not forcing Boris and Sunak out of office. This will not go away, so I don't see the point of clinging on to Johnson/Sunak and Co.

We saw what they are with Owen Patterson. Why expect any more now?

Conservative Party: this product contains 100% Trump.

I agree Tony. I never thought politics / government in this country could be so low and bad. Trouble is, most ordinary folk don't follow or care enough about what is going on. Can the opposition parties refuse to attend parliament? What would happen if there was no opposition for the Governments business?

Can the opposition parties refuse to attend parliament? What would happen if there was no opposition for the Governments business?

To my mind it needs something of this level. At the next parliamentary session every single opposition MP should one by one stand up and state something along the lines of “The Prime Minister and the Chancellor have lied to the house, they have broken both the law and the Ministerial Code, and the party opposite is fully complicit in defending this criminality” and then go on strike until something changes.

My view is the Conservative Party is now so arrogant, rotten and corrupt it will actually take something like this to achieve a result. It is clear these people will not act with honour or integrity. They need forcing out. If I was an opposition MP I wouldn’t accept the current situation as a legitimate workplace.

I also think there is a world of difference between 'legitimate' avoidance of tax (eg offset against investments, or deductible against costs, or beneficial to both sides such as pensions and ISAs), and other forms of avoidance which skirt the edges of evasion - offshoring, blind trusts, dedicated avoidance 'investment' schemes, that sort of thing. Some of those things have in the past been shut down by HMRC because they were considered to have crossed the line - I recall one about investing in films, for example - because they serve no purpose other than to reduce the tax burden and wouldn't exist otherwise. I believe Sunak is up to his armpits in that sort of 'legal evasion' because they all are.

Tax avoidance schemes in which you participate and benefit = good
Tax avoidance schemes in which you don’t participate and benefit = bad

Years ago I recall loads of chaps at work doing the film thing, don’t think it really benefitted them when all was said and done.

A government that pushes a population too far with the endless lying, corruption, hypocrisy and utter contempt for their office runs the real risk of being burned out of office. I suspect this possibility is now in view on the horizon. I have never lived through a government with such utter contempt for the rule of law, democratic process, honour or duty to the electorate.

You may be right but honestly, I think most people are too busy getting on with their lives.

Years ago I recall loads of chaps at work doing the film thing, don’t think it really benefitted them when all was said and done.
It’s a lot simpler than that though. If you are, for example the Chancellor of the Exchequer and you are asked about your off shore tax arrangements, and if they are all above board both morally and legally, why not make them available to democratic scrutiny?

It’s a lot simpler than that though. If you are, for example the Chancellor of the Exchequer and you are asked about your off shore tax arrangements, and if they are all above board both morally and legally, why not make them available to democratic scrutiny?

As long as they are legal, the tax affairs of anyone are not subject to the court of public opinion.

It would be an hilarious thread if not so bloody serious.

I seriously doubt many dislike the tories and their ideology more than I do, yet people refuse to support what it takes to get rid of them. Any fabricated excuse will do and it all makes 2010 and the LibDem role in the whole debacle even more shameful.

Some people never learn. The tories will win again in 2024.

As long as they are legal, the tax affairs of anyone are not subject to the court of public opinion.

Someone should tell David Cameron.

"I think some of these schemes – and I think particularly of the Jimmy Carr scheme – I have had time to read about and I just think this is completely wrong. People work hard, they pay their taxes, they save up to go to one of his shows. They buy the tickets. He is taking the money from those tickets and he, as far as I can see, is putting all of that into some very dodgy tax avoiding schemes. That is wrong. There is nothing wrong with people planning their tax affairs to invest in their pension and plan for their retirement – that sort of tax management is fine. But some of these schemes we have seen are quite frankly morally wrong."

The scheme Jimmy Carr used was completely legal.

I have just seen the Fabricant interview.

Seriously!!!!!!!

I'm not a violent person at all, but please leave me alone in a small room with him. I may need help to have his teeth removed from my fists however.

I'll leave him enough voice to call the emergency services.

Hold on .....:rolleyes:

I seriously doubt many dislike the tories and their ideology more than I do, yet people refuse to support what it takes to get rid of them. Any fabricated excuse will do and it all makes 2010 and the LibDem role in the whole debacle even more shameful.

You spout this bullshit every time. Please name those who are not Tories who are also not voting tactically against them in marginal seats. Let us see these evil people that haunt your nightmares.

PS As a Brexiter/Brexit apologist you have damaged your beloved Labour far more than anyone else here. As a ‘Gillian Duffy’ you are part of the reason they are now neutered and unable to stand up to right-wing ideology. You helped create the fence of indecision that has destroyed them.

Bullshit. You're twisting my words and your insinuation is unpleasant. There are legitimate reasons why some tax might be avoided, and it's when the government wishes to incentivise people to do things like: invest in their businesses, make savings, take out a pension, and so-on. These are all legitimate reasons for tax avoidance, explicitly sanctioned by government because they also meet a government objective and, down the line, improve the economy or reduce the burden on public expenditure. And these are the ones I specifically referred to. As it happens, the only one I participate and (hopefully) will benefit from, is a pension, but I certainly would not criticise anybody who takes out an ISA, or uses their business deductions appropriately.

Your colleagues' schemes on the film scam, however, were found out. Maybe they didn't benefit because they were wound up, IIRC lots of people accrued liabilities and penalties, or maybe they didn't do well because the people running the scam organised it that way, but they were scams on the taxman (and possibly the punters, too), and that's how I perceive many of these 'legitimate' avoidance schemes.

Thyey've found a Tory with principles in the Lords! https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-61097076
A Conservative peer has quit as a justice minister over Covid-law breaking in Downing Street.

It comes after Boris Johnson was fined for attending a lockdown-breaking party in No 10.

In a letter to the prime minister, Lord David Wolfson criticised the "official response" to "repeated rule-breaking".

He is the first person to quit the government since reports of lockdown parties emerged.

Barrister Lord Wolfson has been a justice minister since December 2020, with responsibility for human rights and the constitution.

In his resignation letter, he said the "scale, context and nature" of Covid breaches in government was inconsistent with the rule of law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back