advertisement

A light hearted wondering what is the best job in the world?

I am 61 in a few weeks. I could have retired by now had life take a different turn.
I have 2 boys, 9 and 5 yo. A wife that is 43. A job working from home and travelling across the Eastern Hemisphere.
I set my own itinerary and agenda by and large.

Retirement! Bollocks to that. I’m having the best time of my life.

If you're doing what you want to do, then that's the best job in the world, whatever it is. When I was a nipper I had several 'ideal jobs', to wit:

Milkman (until I realised it meant an early start)

Farmer (ditto)

Priest (ditto, plus celibacy)

Astronaut (unlikely to have qualified on fitness grounds, plus all the astronauts then were either American or Russian)

Then when slightly older:

Astronomer (uselessness at both maths and physics ruled this out)

My younger brother only ever had one ideal job; being a radio operator in the Royal Navy, as our father had been. Sadly, he failed the medical.

Retirement isn't a job.

I beg to differ. I am being paid to retire on a monthly sum of money called a pension. It is given to me in the expectation that I will do things that those with a job cannot do due to time constraints.

Lazy retirees stay at home most of the time, potter around the house and do the same sort of thing that working people do at the weekend.

Successful retirees travel all over the place and visit places they did not have the time to do. This year alone, I have been to Spain, France, Germany and Hungary. Italy is being arranged for later in the year and Mrs Mick is now ranting on about Edinburg in the next couple of weeks. If I go all the way up there, I shall certainly visit a whisky distillery on the way back.

Sitting on a retirees arse is dead easy but organising things to do takes time and effort. That's why I compare it to a job.

When you are lying in bed soon about to expire this mortal coil, one question you will ask yourself is this - did you have a good retirement and you will only say yes if you worked at it.

Retirement is definitely a job and whether you have a failed or a successful one is down to the individual.

And of course you are a successful retiree, aren’t you Mick?
Just checking the ego and self-regard hasn’t retired.

Yes I think I am having a very good retirement in every respect.

I retired at 61 (your age) and you have to be conscious of the fact that you are now entering the risky stage of your life healthwise. I retired at 2.00pm on the 10th May 2010 and at 11.30pm I was in A&E with a heart that decided to pump along at 228 beats per minute. I was very nearly whizzing upwards about to play a harp with a halo above my head.

Every day working means one day less in retirement, so carry on working but whatever you do, don't leave it to late because travelling around means you do need some stamina. How much longer I can continue the jet setting is unknown, but I want to fit as much time into doing it as I can. The later you leave it, the shorter it will be.

Retirement isn't a job.

It is all in the mind. As I posted earlier, treat your retirement income as wages, and I earned it by doing 10mins on the bike, 6-7 mins on the rower, yoga at different intervals during the day and bit of chest muscle build up with dumbbells.

Shopping, cooking, housework, maintenance buildings and vehicles, selling/disposing/buying of records.

Maybe not an actual job title, but I am fairly busy and prefer life to be like this, loving it.

Bloss

It is all in the mind. As I posted earlier, treat your retirement income as wages, and I earned it by doing 10mins on the bike, 6-7 mins on the rower, yoga at different intervals during the day and bit of chest muscle build up with dumbbells.

Shopping, cooking, housework, maintenance buildings and vehicles, selling/disposing/buying of records.

Maybe not an actual job title, but I am fairly busy and prefer life to be like this, loving it.

Bloss
What about the crack and hoes?

Yes I think I am having a very good retirement in every respect.

I retired at 61 (your age) and you have to be conscious of the fact that you are now entering the risky stage of your life healthwise. I retired at 2.00pm on the 10th May 2010 and at 11.30pm I was in A&E with a heart that decided to pump along at 228 beats per minute. I was very nearly whizzing upwards about to play a harp with a halo above my head.

Every day working means one day less in retirement, so carry on working but whatever you do, don't leave it to late because travelling around means you do need some stamina. How much longer I can continue the jet setting is unknown, but I want to fit as much time into doing it as I can. The later you leave it, the shorter it will be.

I go on 30 mile bike rides through the hills of Aberdeenshire and my heart rate never goes over 150, average 120.. I think my ticker is just fine. I enjoy my job and see no reason to retire.

There have been a few times this week when I've thought I've got the best job in the world - heck, on Sunday night I went into work I was prepared - and completely willing to pull an all-nighter to get a presentation sorted for Tuesday (yesterday). Turns out I finished at 1am, but I was absolutely engrossed in what I was doing that I hardly ate that day and was buzzing with excitement from when I woke up 20 hours earlier till I fell asleep in the wee hours when I got home.

Today was a good day as well. So good, in fact, here's how it went:

Oh, and fwiw, I'm a social care worker proving 'care in the community' to people with mental health problems as well as working with people with learning disabilities and people with autism :)

Oh, and fwiw, I'm a social care worker proving 'care in the community' to people with mental health problems as well as working with people with learning disabilities and people with autism :)

You are indeed most worthy, more worthy than most on here. I have every respect for those in the caring professions.

Bloss

I have never really recaptured that tangible feeling of having delivered a physical result - something to look at and feel proud of. Achieving a sales goal just isn't quite the same. Have done lots of home remodeling, but that's not the same as doing it as a job, of being in the trades, of being a craftsman. Can't complain through. IT has kept a roof over my head and food in the fridge for going on 40 years.

Don't worry, the novelty soon wears off when you've done it for a short while, the first few times you feel a little sense of achievement but after a while it's no different to stacking shelves in a supermarket.

I beg to differ. I am being paid to retire on a monthly sum of money called a pension. It is given to me in the expectation that I will do things that those with a job cannot do due to time constraints.

Presumably you receive your pension until you shuffle off this mortal coil without any conditional work, so it is not given to you with any such expectations.

Lazy retirees stay at home most of the time, potter around the house and do the same sort of thing that working people do at the weekend.

Also amongst others money/health poor retirees.

Successful retirees travel all over the place and visit places they did not have the time to do. This year alone, I have been to Spain, France, Germany and Hungary. Italy is being arranged for later in the year and Mrs Mick is now ranting on about Edinburg in the next couple of weeks. If I go all the way up there, I shall certainly visit a whisky distillery on the way back.

tbh that seems rather dull. Since I retired I've travelled to the caribbean three times, S India twice, Indonesia, Thailand, Myanmar, plus numerous trips around UK and Europe. Going by your standards possibly your retirement is less successful then you are leading us to believe.

Sitting on a retirees arse is dead easy but organising things to do takes time and effort. That's why I compare it to a job.

ime it's much easier to arrange things when you are retired due to, amongst other things, availability of time and coin.

When you are lying in bed soon about to expire this mortal coil, one question you will ask yourself is this - did you have a good retirement and you will only say yes if you worked at it.

Are you sure? I expect to be asking myself questions about my family and friends.

Retirement is definitely a job and whether you have a failed or a successful one is down to the individual.

Of course retirees have a very wide range of activity levels given finances and health, but that doesn't make it a job.
A job is a position of regular employment.

I retired at 61

imo that's akin to failure. I was 45.

advertisement

Back