advertisement

A light hearted wondering what is the best job in the world?

When I was 16, I spent a summer painting doors and windows at a local community center. It was pleasant, satisfying work, and I received lots of compliments for my efforts. Five years later, after graduating college in 1979, I started a career in IT. Because all of my subsequent work successes were, for lack of a better word, virtual, I have never really recaptured that tangible feeling of having delivered a physical result - something to look at and feel proud of. Achieving a sales goal just isn't quite the same. Have done lots of home remodeling, but that's not the same as doing it as a job, of being in the trades, of being a craftsman. Can't complain through. IT has kept a roof over my head and food in the fridge for going on 40 years.

If you like tangible outcomes then these guys possibly have the best job in the world. Andy and Simon build acoustic guitars in a beautiful part of mid Devon (if here are still hobbits around that's where they'll be). The business is them and three apprentices, and they have an order book that mean they don't have to spend too much time selling.
https://www.brookguitars.com/about.html
It wasn't always that easy for them of course, this video from about 20 years shows a bit about what it was like when they started:
This shorter link has some nice background music, played on a Brook guitar of course, and gives you a real feel for the way the guitars go from bits of wood to finished instruments:

Oh and yes I do have one of their guitars...

advertisement

Back