advertisement

A levels

I'd be using prison like scanning machines before entering the exam room given the tech of today.

we haven't got there yet. But all mobiles must be on the floor, no smart watches, no iems, water is allowed in transparent bottles with the label removed. Pencil cases must be transparent.

Given the birth rate (18 years ago) climbs every year for the next six years and is currently at the bottom of a trough, now is probably the best time to be looking for a place.

Given the birth rate (18 years ago) climbs every year for the next six years and is currently at the bottom of a trough, now is probably the best time to be looking for a place.

damn right. We expect the rise to start to hit in 2021/22 and 22/23, and are planning strategy now.
For higher cost STEM subjects this is worrying, it's not easy to expand engineering infrastructure quickly.

I dont know a single admissions tutor who uses the predicted grades. The range of ALevels, the personal statement and interview (if used) are the basis of the conditional offer.

Personal statements aren't reliable. An admissions tutor has no idea of the parental/school input to the statement. University administered tests and interviews are the way forward here. The best universities already do this, but it's time consuming.

Another interesting statistic regarding the birth rate is the age of the parents. The birth rate for women under 35 is actually on the decline but over 35 is where the increase is happening. You might surmise that children of older parents might be more likely to be heading for HE?

This is true but at the same time they have made A-levels harder & top unis pull from a global base. It is actually the 2nd tier H.E.'S which will suffer the most

Another interesting statistic regarding the birth rate is the age of the parents. The birth rate for women under 35 is actually on the decline but over 35 is where the increase is happening. You might surmise that children of older parents might be more likely to be heading for HE?
Possibly, later child birth is probably more akin to the educated MCs

it hasn't gone unnoticed by our planners. Additionally as time goes on we are seeing an increase in 2nd generation university applicants, families where the parents have been to uni are getting more common. There are of course some notable exceptions to this still.

Do males take A-Levels any more? (Images from the top hits for the BBC and MSM papers).

Congratulations all!

_108324052_a-levelskingedwardvischoolbirminghamsteps.jpg

3500.jpg

TELEMMGLPICT000206477920_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqozu-WQJ0FojTW_5BENDzeyjvP1pFZGfbBAklXZrAmFQ.jpeg

0_A-Level-results.jpg

Stephen

They do. My son will be starting at UEA in September.

The drop in the value of the pound probably has an effect on the number of overseas students vying for places in uk institutions.

Personal statements aren't reliable. An admissions tutor has no idea of the parental/school input to the statement. University administered tests and interviews are the way forward here. The best universities already do this, but it's time consuming.

Quite.
I remember an admissions tutor at Leeds telling an open day audience that all personal statements illustrated was who had rich enough parents to go swanning around the world or connected enough parents to get them work experience denied to less privileged students.

He did think about this but I have a friend who is a Barrister & he advised against it as it just adds on another year of debt

A year?

My daughter did an English degree at Durham.

She then did a year doing the GDL to get a law degree and a further year doing the LPC to become qualified to pursue a career as a solicitor.

Dude. You like, keep on going on. Telling us at every available opportunity.

Did that answer your question?

advertisement

Back