advertisement

A levels

A year?

My daughter did an English degree at Durham.

She then did a year doing the GDL to get a law degree and a further year doing the LPC to become qualified to pursue a career as a solicitor.
Yes, an extra year, this is significant in terms of tuition fees & living. He can take a years placement during his degree but this will be paid.

some of ours get their LPC fees paid for by a firm. Some firms will pay both the GDL and LPC fees for their trainees.

we are working with our law school to offer the law students some modules in computer forensics

They are not a remark. They are a review of marking. Marks are only changed if there is evidence the mark scheme has not been correctly applied. They should be completed well within two weeks. I’ve already done a number today which will be sent to the Centre within next 24 hours. Which exam board did he do? They all offer an EAR Priority Service
Which ensure that candidates do not lose their provisional places in higher education so have introduced a priority service. These scripts need to be reviewed in 3 days from receipt.

I dont know a single admissions tutor who uses the predicted grades. The range of ALevels, the personal statement and interview (if used) are the basis of the conditional offer.

Very interesting, and confusing.

My daughter has just finished lower 6th, so the big year is next year.
So, she will be applying later this year and has been told how important the predictive grades are, together with personal statement.

And that these two factors will be hugely important in determining if she even gets to interview stage.

Quite.
I remember an admissions tutor at Leeds telling an open day audience that all personal statements illustrated was who had rich enough parents to go swanning around the world or connected enough parents to get them work experience denied to less privileged students.

This is not what we are being told.

We were told quite clearly that they are not really interested in “extra “ stuff, exotic holidays, world travel, income of parents, colour of Porsche, love a round of golf now and then Etc etc.

What matters is getting across an interest, involvement, passion etc for the topic to be studied.
In my daughters case there is a limit of 4000 characters for this personal statement.
She has worked on this most of the summer trying to edit out all the extra stuff and stick to the crucial stuff.

So, she will be applying later this year and has been told how important the predictive grades are, together with personal statement.

And that these two factors will be hugely important in determining if she even gets to interview stage.
Admissions Tutors do like their place in the spotlight, heard some right crap at Open Days. The volume of applicants does require some kind of system, to suggest an admissions tutor has a special way of picking candidates is absurd. Predicted grades are far from perfect but they are an indicator & play a role.

Until they get nicked, like mine. Chained to the Maths tower in Oxford Road, Manchester it was........the b******s left the chain, thank you.....never saw the bike again
2 locks, one a D. I narrowly avoided having a bike stolen with one lock, they only damaged it. Got a D lock, they never touched it again. This was 1980s London. Same in Leeds these days, if I'm in a tough area or in town.

Remember having just my saddle nicked from my bike chained up outside Nottm bus station (it was only left there for literally 10 minutes). Was surprised at how tiring it was to cycle even a couple of miles without being able to sit down - the seat post was still in place and gave me a poke where I didn't want one if I lowered my arse too much :D.

As a manager who has to hire and train graduates, I have never met a 4 year M level graduate but have a strong suspicion it is exactly the same as a BSc 40 years ago. At the time we were really pushed to fit in 3 years, a completely full week and hours extra every evening. Add in having to do a lot of what is no longer in A levels.

Interview? Unless going for Oxbridge, virtually no one gets interviewed these days. There is no time. My three kids and dozens of friends have never had a uni interview, except the Oxbridge lot - which is a different application system. Have you done the uni visits yet? - this autumn is the time to do it - you will need to plan how to get around all those of interest. Days that open during the week can be tricky but our college would always allow a day off for that - and Wednesdays are usually Sport so easier. Some Saturday trips can be a complete zoo at some places - traffic jams. ALWAYS use the park and ride options!

BTW now that exam results are out my 2 have finally said how exhausting the final year of 6th form has been - do not underestimate the work needed and encourage them to get going early. My lot started the hard revising before Christmas - the number of folders, printer sheets, index cards (Thousands we bought) was amazing. We have just cleared out of the office and taken 12 bin bags of stuff to the recycling/tip.

We had an admissions tutor at Exeter a couple of years ago saying that the personal statements he saw were littered with obvious ways to tell if parents had enough clout to support the child - you know bragging about time spent to build a school in rural Vietnam etc. He said he was much more impressed with kids who took a year out and worked the counters at Sports Direct, getting up every morning to be there.

As a manager who has to hire and train graduates, I have never met a 4 year M level graduate but have a strong suspicion it is exactly the same as a BSc 40 years ago. At the time we were really pushed to fit in 3 years, a completely full week and hours extra every evening. Add in having to do a lot of what is no longer in A levels.

Are we talking Science A-Levels? Take my word they have been much more challenging the last two specifications. The current Science A Level specifications are as difficult as they ever have been.

Interview? Unless going for Oxbridge, virtually no one gets interviewed these days.

Have you done the uni visits yet? -

my 2 have finally said how exhausting the final year of 6th form has been - do not underestimate the work needed and encourage them to get going early. My lot started the hard revising before Christmas

We had an admissions tutor at Exeter a couple of years ago saying that the personal statements he saw were littered with obvious ways to tell if parents had enough clout to support the child

Thanks for all the tips.

1)Yes, her heart/head is set on Oxford, so interview end of this year, if she even gets to that stage. (Hence my interest in importance of predicted grades in the selection process re interview stage.

2)Have we visited? ....oh yes !!!!
Three times to Cambridge, twice to Oxford, twice to St. Andrews. Once to Durham. She is an organised young lady!
If she doesn’t get accepted to Oxford (she will know by January ) then probably more visits.

3)Get going early?? She is already on the case !! Not yet full throttle, but about 3rd gear.

4) We were advised by tutors at both Cambridge and Oxford, that they were really not interested in that kind of stuff. The academic side is what is of most interest to them. Far more important for the student to get over a passion for the subject, and what she has done in that respect.

advertisement

Back