advertisement

A levels

We had an admissions tutor at Exeter a couple of years ago saying that the personal statements he saw were littered with obvious ways to tell if parents had enough clout to support the child - you know bragging about time spent to build a school in rural Vietnam etc. He said he was much more impressed with kids who took a year out and worked the counters at Sports Direct, getting up every morning to be there.
That I support, too many students dropped out because they started enjoying themselves too much in the evening.
Strangely the worst drop out rates were with mature students who were smart enough, but did not find it easy to get back into the after hours "homework"workflow and had enough money to run cars and party

too many students dropped out because they started enjoying themselves too much in the evening.

now they drop out because they cant be ar*ed getting out of bed

Strangely the worst drop out rates were with mature students who were smart enough, but did not find it easy to get back into the after hours

with us these are the ones that achieve the best grades. We do have to be flexible, but we offer online and blended learning.

Thanks for all the tips.

1)Yes, her heart/head is set on Oxford, so interview end of this year, if she even gets to that stage. (Hence my interest in importance of predicted grades in the selection process re interview stage.

2)Have we visited? ....oh yes !!!!
Three times to Cambridge, twice to Oxford, twice to St. Andrews. Once to Durham. She is an organised young lady!
If she doesn’t get accepted to Oxford (she will know by January ) then probably more visits.

3)Get going early?? She is already on the case !! Not yet full throttle, but about 3rd gear.

4) We were advised by tutors at both Cambridge and Oxford, that they were really not interested in that kind of stuff. The academic side is what is of most interest to them. Far more important for the student to get over a passion for the subject, and what she has done in that respect.
Hope it all goes to plan, if you get the opportunity to get to Oxbridge then it should be taken. My son never applied, didn't feel he was smart enough but for a spot of illness he probably would have achieved the grades required. I have a cousin who went & did History, opened a lot of doors. I do think their application process put off a lot of would be candidates.

I applied for Oxbridge, extra "Use of English" paper to be passed plus very tough entrance exams. In the end I figured out that I could not afford the extra costs of studying there.

I applied for Oxbridge, extra "Use of English" paper to be passed plus very tough entrance exams. In the end I figured out that I could not afford the extra costs of studying there.
I do think their early application process puts off candidates from modest backgrounds.

advertisement

Back