advertisement

A levels

Re-marks (and also university resit timetables) are the issue with entry post results. Somebody (who might well be on holiday) has to remark the paper and then, I assume, the boards would need to consider the batch of remarked papers. A lot of people at the margins of admissions the criteria are likely to be disappointed, or left with deferring for a year, because courses will fill up on a first come first served basis. It also seems to me that there needs to be some renormalisation of the grades. It was widely reported this week that As are being awarded in some papers for marks in the 50s while some other papers required a high 70. It used to be the case that a red brick university place was possible with around the BBB/BBC. If 'everyone' is getting the As then places are much more of a lottery. Privatisation of the exam boards was a predictable disaster...

A grades are at their lowest level for 12 years this year.

OP sounds to me like you’re not too impressed with the way York goes about its selection, and it does seem a little bit less than painstaking. Might that say something about how the department is run, which might suggest Newcastle would be the better bet anyway?

Still worth getting the remark, for personal satisfaction if nothing else, though.
Correct, the interview process was a joke. We had to be there for 12 noon, a time was allocated of 2.30pm, quite a bit of waiting around as we had already been to an open day. Actual interview was over in less than 10 minutes & comprised of standard check list of questions which did not relate at all to his application.

Exactly.

Hell they could even do something really revolutionary like start terms with the calendar year.

For too long the university tail has wagged to the inconvenience of society’s dog.

Only? Accommodation, etc.
The way they operate the accommodation at NTU sure needs a kick up the arse. While attending an early open day for students with unconditional offers (our daughter took a year out after A-levels so already had her results when she applied) we discovered that practically all the university accommodation on or near the campus was fully booked up for the forthcoming academic year. So presumably they either take bookings and deposits from students who don't yet have their results or just allow 2nd and 3rd year students to snaffle up the most conveniently located rooms before the first years get a look in. Either way, it created some stress and angst and she's going to have to get used to doing a lot more walking than she's used to!

there are some serious issues to changing the shape of the academic year.

On some of our postgraduate programmes we run multiple intakes (Sept and Jan), which is possible where the subjects are not incremental.

that article is a well thought out summary of the issues.

Seems that next year the Birmingham Uni academic year is changing quite significantly to a two semester version.

We run a 3 semester year (I know it should be trimester) where some of our students are taught in the summer period.

The way they operate the accommodation at NTU sure needs a kick up the arse. While attending an early open day for students with unconditional offers (our daughter took a year out after A-levels so already had her results when she applied) we discovered that practically all the university accommodation on or near the campus was fully booked up for the forthcoming academic year. So presumably they either take bookings and deposits from students who don't yet have their results or just allow 2nd and 3rd year students to snaffle up the most conveniently located rooms before the first years get a look in. Either way, it created some stress and angst and she's going to have to get used to doing a lot more walking than she's used to!

that is a policy matter. We only take applicants for accommodation once they have a confirmed place, and all first years (both undergraduate and postgraduate) get priority.

It used to be the case that a red brick university place was possible with around the BBB/BBC. If 'everyone' is getting the As then places are much more of a lottery. Privatisation of the exam boards was a predictable disaster...
Red bricks all offered CCC for engineering 43 years ago, I got on of the best grades in my grammar school with A+AB, I think only one pupil got AAA from almost 100. That was Welsh Joint.
The only course wanting AAA back then was veterinary as it was just after the Herriot films made it too popular

I think that bicycles are still available in major cities and they can be used by able bodied people who have to travel more than a mile or so on a regular basis.

Quite ridiculous.

At my kids’ universities accommodation was only provided in year 1 by the university and virtually guaranteed.
After that they had to find private accommodation for subsequent years.

Do males take A-Levels any more? (Images from the top hits for the BBC and MSM papers).

Congratulations all!

_108324052_a-levelskingedwardvischoolbirminghamsteps.jpg

3500.jpg

TELEMMGLPICT000206477920_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqozu-WQJ0FojTW_5BENDzeyjvP1pFZGfbBAklXZrAmFQ.jpeg

0_A-Level-results.jpg

Stephen

As York have offered him a place on a course he doesn't want to do (History) he cannot progress his other options. He has rejected this offer but waiting on York to process this, he rang them & they matter of factly said "we're busy it could take 5-7 days". This is an absolutely awful response to give to a stressed out 18 year old. UCAS says this should resolve in 24 hours & Newcastle will only accept him via UCAS. What an absolute shower.

As York have offered him a place on a course he doesn't want to do (History) he cannot progress his other options. He has rejected this offer but waiting on York to process this, he rang them & they matter of factly said "we're busy it could take 5-7 days". This is an absolutely awful response to give to a stressed out 18 year old. UCAS says this should resolve in 24 hours & Newcastle will only accept him via UCAS. What an absolute shower.

Not an excuse for York, but a lot of kids are playing the clearing game - up 20% this year apparently. The system is designed for people who have missed out on their results, not for first-time applicants to join in. They'll have key decision-makers present, but a lot of their central admin staff will be on holiday.

This is crap - they aren't even similar courses - I'd no idea universities could do this. If the UCAS guideline is 24 hours is there any scope for threatening York with legal action in the event that he misses out on other opportunities while they are handling the entirely predictable burst of work following the results?

Red bricks all offered CCC for engineering 43 years ago, I got on of the best grades in my grammar school with A+AB, I think only one pupil got AAA from almost 100. That was Welsh Joint.
The only course wanting AAA back then was veterinary as it was just after the Herriot films made it too popular

Yes. I was making a bit of a side point really without wanting to pull the thread off course too much. I was only a handful of years behind you, but it's impossible to compare apples with pears. Whatever is done, the exam system needs to contain more differentiation, not made 'harder' by loading it with memory recall and boring kids stupid, nor making a pretence of 'maintaining of standards' with previous years. Engineering, maths and physical sciences all have 4 year courses, as opposed to 3, to allow for a different kind of A level, for example - that's been true for some 25 years. For your troubles (and expense) you get an M level degree that's not really the equivalent of a masters, and that often isn't accepted as such abroad, which many discover only when it's too late. Coming back to the thread, denying kids on the basis of AAA vs AAB seems grossly unfair, when the fact that the mark distributions are adjusted (i.e. fiddled by the exam boards) to fit a desired grade distribution, is public knowledge - this sweeps individuals, across their combination of subjects, in either direction, hidden within the overall distributions...

Last edited:

advertisement

Back