advertisement

A levels

Newcastle is an excellent university and I suspect there is more fun to be had than York. Just have to get used to wearing a ‘T’ shirt in the dead of winter:)

Who's going to be the first to imagine that it might be hereditary? I can certainly think of a few ;)

Hard to argue with that.

Even their mother isn’t overblessed with brains though she did get a degree when she was 50.

I can never remember whether I got four O levels or five. Definitely no A levels.

So, yeah, our offspring have definitely been short changed thanks to their genetics. That said my daughter has got three degrees. God knows how. I think they must be easy.

York is in the top ten universities for law in the uk and Newcastle doesn’t make the top 100, could this explain the difference in attitude?

I think that bicycles are still available in major cities and they can be used by able bodied people who have to travel more than a mile or so on a regular basis.

Until they get nicked, like mine. Chained to the Maths tower in Oxford Road, Manchester it was........the b******s left the chain, thank you.....never saw the bike again

I think they must be easy.

Lots of people mastered the art of recording each essay scenario the night before exams onto an MP3 player and wore long sleeved T-shirts during my time back in 2001. They're probably onto this by now with smartphones. I know of someone that hadn't started his dissertation until a few days it was due for submission so took a trip to another uni, robbed a dissertation, added his own cover before submitting it.

Only administrative ones for universities.
Which ever way you look at it, moving to a post A-Level system is difficult. It was tried under the Con-Lib coaltion and failed. Essentially, teaching of A-Levels would have to be time-reduced to enable exams to be sat and marked earlier in the academic year. Applications would be completed and processed over the summer period (good luck wuth asking teachers to give up their summer to process UCAS applications), and universities would have to adjust their academic year accordingly. That's a lot of vested interests to change.

An underlying question is 'why are predicted grades unreliable?'. My bet is human behaviour is intrinsically difficult to measure, something that those of us who 'work with people' know onlt too well.

Very sorry to hear about the OP's predicament. Many lawyers think that students are better off studying another course eg history, classics etc before going to law school or the bar. I've met many QCs and other senior barristers over the years, and many of them did not do law as their first degree. Just a thought.

York is in the top ten universities for law in the uk and Newcastle doesn’t make the top 100, could this explain the difference in attitude?

How's the medical school? My cousin was accepted by York. Didn't get her first choice in LDN.

Newcastle was highly regarded for civil engineering many years ago IIRC.

This is crap - they aren't even similar courses - I'd no idea universities could do this. If the UCAS guideline is 24 hours is there any scope for threatening York with legal action in the event that he misses out on other opportunities while they are handling the entirely predictable burst of work following the results?
Thankfully this has all be resolved, York have formally rejected him so he can persue Newcastle & they will probably offer him a place if his errant papers are re-graded upwards

They'll have key decision-makers present, but a lot of their central admin staff will be on holiday.

not true in this day and age. All the HEIs I know have their admin teams all present and correct.

M level degree that's not really the equivalent of a masters,

Long time since I heard someone use the term "M Level". Since FHEQ it has been known as level 7. MEng, MChem, MSci, MPhys etc etc, are award titles that can only be used is the programme is accredited by an appropriate professional body. They are known as integrated masters programmes, and involve the same quantity of level 7 study as a masters in addition to the credit points needed at levels 4, 5 and 6.

An underlying question is 'why are predicted grades unreliable?'. My bet is human behaviour is intrinsically difficult to measure, something that those of us who 'work with people' know onlt too well.

I dont know a single admissions tutor who uses the predicted grades. The range of ALevels, the personal statement and interview (if used) are the basis of the conditional offer.

until a few days it was due for submission so took a trip to another uni, robbed a dissertation, added his own cover before submitting it.

these days dissertations are all submitted online, we use text matching software and machine learning software to spot plagiarism. We are quite good at spotting it, and punishing it. Typically it will mean zero marks for the dissertation and no degree

How's the medical school? My cousin was accepted by York. Didn't get her first choice in LDN.

for med, in the UK I'd doubt the perceived quality of the HEI matters, as it is such a highly regulated subject to deliver.

My first bit of advice to any student choosing a Uni, is find somewhere where you a going to be happy. A happy student is an engaged student and is much more likely to succeed.

Very sorry to hear about the OP's predicament. Many lawyers think that students are better off studying another course eg history, classics etc before going to law school or the bar. I've met many QCs and other senior barristers over the years, and many of them did not do law as their first degree. Just a thought.
He did think about this but I have a friend who is a Barrister & he advised against it as it just adds on another year of debt

Long time since I heard someone use the term "M Level". Since FHEQ it has been known as level 7. MEng, MChem, MSci, MPhys etc etc, are award titles that can only be used is the programme is accredited by an appropriate professional body. They are known as integrated masters programmes, and involve the same quantity of level 7 study as a masters in addition to the credit points needed at levels 4, 5 and 6.

Just a shorthand - just part of the Blairite dumbing down. I had to get all of our courses though the Bologna accreditation requirements and pretend somehow that 120 = 180 credits at level 5. Where's the level 4 you might ask...

Anyway, since you know more than me...

Well, that is not true. York was rated 11th when Theo applied & I think it has dropped slightly. Newcastle was in the 40's so York was his first choice but a Law degree from a Russell Group uni is pretty valuable & will give him some great opportunities. I don't have a problem with York turning him down, it is their perogative but there is no excuse for their attitude. These are young adults at a vulnerable time & should be treated appropriately. AAB is pretty decent results wise & I don't consider my son a failure. If it wasn't for his illness he would have walked it.

I had to get all of our courses though the Bologna accreditation requirements and pretend somehow that 120 = 180 credits at level 5. Where's the level 4 you might ask...

ah yes I remember the alignment process well. I cant remember our currency conversion, I knew it was weird, but I do know we still delivered the same hours of teaching for the different amounts of credits

Typically it will mean zero marks for the dissertation and no degree

.., and rightly so. I'm not condoning it. I only remember as it was based on the effects of menstruation and exercise performance which gave me the giggles at the time. I'd be using prison like scanning machines before entering the exam room given the tech of today.

The retired ad-hoc folk who came in to monitor our exams were naive to put it mildly - I'd be surprised if this still remains the case. It was very easy to swap papers with the adjacent person and hand it back having given it a scan for references etc.

ah yes I remember the alignment process well. I cant remember our currency conversion, I knew it was weird, but I do know we still delivered the same hours of teaching for the different amounts of credits

No- I was head of teaching for seven years, sat on the university level management board etc. Don't talk to people as if they're stupid.

advertisement

Back