advertisement

A generic rectifier/smoothing PCB

James,

much better to wind your own inductors...I use some enamelled wire from an old transformer round a 6mm drill bit as a former. Takes a couple of minutes for each one.

Jo

I'm happy to wind my own inductors, but what wire size to use? Farnell has some 16SWG enamelled wire (http://uk.farnell.com/pro-power/ecw1-5/wire-copper-enamelled-16swg/dp/1230987?_requestid=1158691).

I'm pretty clueless as to power handling. The boards are to replace a pair of MCAPs in my NCC200 mono blocks.

Edit: I've just been playing with this (http://www.pronine.ca/multind.htm) inductor calculator. Working on a 10mm air core (d), a coil length of 4cm (l) and wire gauge of 16SWG the result is a dual layer coil (60 turns total, 2 layers of 30 turns each) of about 2cm final diameter...or am I being too anal??

3173851371_7af3775c7e.jpg

Try 0.8mm wire 20mm long 8-10mm (dril size) = air core, 3 layers will give approx 10uH.

2248361187_52c53fb5e8.jpg

Ive used heat shrink to hold it togeather nice but I know many use insulation tape or a good quality 'sticky tape' or even hot glue.

3174688306_a726c45a51.jpg

Ideal for many applications...

Chiily, if you end up having to buy a 32m reel of wire from farnell I'll happily chip in for a length of it if you don't want it all.

Are any of these boards still available, and who / how do I order and pay - sure its in the thread somewhere, but could someone give me the info?

I finally found some time to put together two of Carl's boards for use in my 260Z monos.

I'm using four LQA16T300 diodes in the bridge, very low Qrr. http://www.qspeed.com/content/lqa16t300

IMG_0938-1.jpg

Split foils fro the caps. BHC re-brands.

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

The inductors are 10mm core, 30 mm (ish) long, made from 1.25mm enamelled wire in 3 layers. It took about 5 attempts before I mastered the technique of winding the coils on a battery drill; keeping the right tension is key.

The first board is soak testing in the amp box waiting for the bias to settle.

Anyone what to buy a pair Avondale MCAPS?

Thanks.

I've just sat through a couple of albums and I'm quite impressed. Quite a change from the MCAPs I was using.

Music seems to be laid back and smooth, but the notes and phrases are just ahead of themselves...hard to express.

For a dual positive supply, the board essentially takes the AC and splits it into two parallel +ve DC rails. Can anyone tell me what, if any, difference there would be between doing this going into two TeddyRegs (each +ve rail into its own regulator), or using the board as a single rail supply, and then splitting the single +ve DC into two TeddyRegs at the output?

The outcome seems the same, two +ve regulated rails from one AC winding. Any detriment, or just a waste of caps/resistors/inductors?

If you need two +ve rails - say for Naim preamp, then its best to separate them as early as possible, so that loading on one rail doesn't modulate the other. Having said that, a decent regulator should prevent this from happening. It also depends on budget and space. Its probably better to buy the best transformer you can afford, rather than two cheap ones, and likewise rectifier and primary smoothing caps, then split before regulation, and maybe if there is budget, regulate down in two stages. Never done any meaningful direct comparisons, but a two stage regulated "Hi-Cap" I built for a friend was better than my single stage one I did for myself - which is why I'm planning a rebuild.

Hi Everyone,
This question goes out to Carl or anyone else that has some input.
I have finally freed up some time to get my psu together for NAC 32.5. In my config I am using a transformer that whas dual secondaries. I am using one PSU board and want to have dual rail positive supply from one PSU board following instruction from guide(Build Manual v1.0). D1 will be AC input for one rail and D2 will be the other AC input for the other rail. Can you confirm this for me. This looks correct I am looking at the photo you have posted as the reference. In your text you have listed D1 and D3 should have orientation reversed, the photo does not correspond to this(that would be D3 and D5). Perhaps another revision of the document. Many thanks.
Cheers,
M

I meant no offense but this is meant as a question as well. Anyone have success with a setup such as the one I described?
M

advertisement

Back