advertisement

A generic rectifier/smoothing PCB

hacker

Delicious and nutritious
Hey guys, for the longest time I've been meaning to make one of these... it would have come in so handy on many past projects, will be very handy for current projects, and I can see it being handy in the future. If it's useful to me, I'm sure it'd be of use to others, too.

The design goal is to have one PCB that has the following features:

• Take AC input and provide smoothed, raw DC output suitable for use with your voltage regulator of choice
  • It should work with centre-tapped and non centre-tapped transformers
  • It should provide positive, negative, and split-rail DC supplies as required
  • It should accommodate large snap-in capacitors up to 35mm diameter (10mm lead pitch), but provide space for smaller 5mm lead pitch caps, too
  • It should accept standard push-on spade connectors (US version here)

I've started the ball rolling with a simple design that uses a TO200 footprint for the rectification diodes (I like HEXFREDs) , but will easily accept axial diodes standing on end:

rectifier.png

In standard form, it can be used in the following ways:

• Centre-tap trafo, +/- DC output (use +, -, and 0V points for DC out)
  • Centre-tap trafo, + DC output (use + and 0V points for DC out)
  • Centre-tap trafo, - DC output (use - and 0V points for DC out)
  • Standard trafo, + DC ouput (use + and 0V points for DC out, wire link the negative rail capacitor)
  • Standard trafo, - DC output (use - and -0V points for DC out, wire link the positive rail capacitor)

If this is of interest to people, feedback would be appreciated and depending how popular it is, I'll get prices for PCBs and do a group buy. Either way, I'll be getting some for myself.

Star the smaller caps to ground? Space for 6/8 small caps rather than four by going just a touch longer?

LED with resistor on board optional?

Thinking the same earlier ... oh no the dreaded stripboard again.

Yes, most interested.

It looks good Carl. I'll be in for a few. And I can see your own Teddyreg design superglued to the output edge.

David

It looks good Carl. I'll be in for a few. And I can see your own Teddyreg design superglued to the output edge.

David

Thanks David. I'll be using TeddyRegs (Neils), Fleas, and ALWSRs for my current project. These boards will make it look nice and neat :)

Nice one carl. I'd be up for some - just to add to the growing number of various boards i have but have'nt time to build.

stu

I'd be up for some too. I've been building them on strip board and it's ugly.

Mark

I'm probably interested in these too, was planning to just use stripboard, but these look nice.

How about suitable mounting for MBR20200CT Schottky diodes (TO-220 package, dual diodes so legs 1 and 3 are anode, leg 2 in the middle (and 4) is cathode) though? I just got 25 of these (there was a flat $15 S&H fee on samples from OnSemi, so I thought I get the max allowance, hence I can pass some of these on if people are interested).

Hmm, that would require some re-work... but it would make the boards more flexible, so I'll have a tweak later tonight and see what I can do. Good call :) The MBR20200CTs are what Avondale use on the Cap6 module.

Any cap that's got a 10mm lead pitch, snap-in terminals, and up to 35mm diameter. That's a _lot_ of caps. One example is Kendeil 10,000uF/50V caps - they'll fit perfectly.

Carl
Sounds nice and would be interested especially of you could do the Schottky fix as I also have a bundle from ON semi too.

Guy

Hi Carl,

Sorry to butt in but I had been thinking about this just the other evening before your post.

I was thinking .. up to six caps with optional CRCRC or CLCLC (by cutting track off / or linking out the L / R connection of course. Star ground the 0V

Something like this, i dont think it would be very much bigger (im sure you could squeeze it with your better software) than what you have suggested (very rough pcb sorry) .... oh and yes ive forgotten one very important track to sqeeze down the middle ;)

PSUBoard.jpg

Hope thats ok, feel like im interfering.

That's very cool, and I was thinking along the same lines myself. CLCLC / CRCRC (or whatever flavour you like) has to be better at killing noise than just C. You also get the flexibility of being able to use anything from plain-jane C up to complex CLR combinations. I'll try and squeeze all these ideas into the board - keep 'em coming and we'll have something very good and flexible :)

Phew, i was worried for a bit. Do i get a blow pop as a prize? :D

Im not sure how big we make it in terms of fitting the 6 caps. Though i think 2 large caps with 4 small ones around might perform really well. Large ones being good industrials smaller ones being something bit more ****y.

Have you tried Duncans PSU designer II? That will show you exactly what happens (well as much as a simulator can do).

advertisement

Back