advertisement

A generic rectifier/smoothing PCB

Hacker.

Whatever it takes to get the right amount of Caps for a NAP style amp would work for me.

P.S Quad rail PSU based on your boards much liked at the weekend driving my 72!

Just a note really. If you have four way boards they will take 4 BHC / Kendeil etc at 35mm. two boards is twice as much and better diodes than as used in a NAP 180, it provides a very good psu indeed.

The rectifier diods where pritty tight against the caps as well so a smidgin more space there would help

Alan

And comments in the user manual about flipping LED's for flipped rails might help us thickos work out why our Leds only work on one side...

The rectifier diods where pritty tight against the caps as well so a smidgin more space there would help

Alan

I would suggest the same modifcation and maybe enough space for a small heatsink on the rectifiers, maybe?

Put me in for 4 of these modded versions.

The available space in a NAP140 where the Naim cap bank sits is about 85x140mm (still some space, but just).

6 x 35mm caps = 70x105mm minimum.

Now add 25mm on the input/diode end + 10mm on the output end = 140mm in length, and the boards need to be 15mm wider so that the caps don't cover the Ls or Rs. So that's a grand total of 85x140 needed to fit a Hacker 6-Cap with necessary accoutrements. The board will overhang the DIN connector a bit, but that's OK since there's only 10mm of output connections on that end.

How do these things just happen to work out? ;)

Carl,

Will the new board allow 6 caps of 30mm diameter or 2? And will there be a bit more room for the diodes, perhaps even extra mounting holes to allow axial shottkey diodes as an option?

Well the current boards allow 4 x 35mm I'm sure Carl will be gunning for 6 x 35mm this time as power amps seem to be a popular suggested use for the boards.

35mm allows the best of the nice caps to be fitted Kendeils, Nichicon, BHC, BC, Elna whatever so gives you good options Mike.

I have said this before that anyone sitting with the 4 way boards will still build a fine amp with 4 x 35mm in them, with twice the capacitors of a Naim 180, certainly no slouch for your investment. Team them up with seperate transformers similar to a ZAP250 style amp and you should be happy - better than a 180, more current than a 250 ...

And if you have 4 boards theres always 2 x 8 way - jump from one to the next with inductors ;)

Cheers.

I actually made a typo in my post above regards the cap diameter. Should have written 35mm.

So If the new boards have space for 6 x 35mm caps, will there be the option to run 8 smaller caps perhaps?

Personally I dont require any just yet but will probably get a set of the new boards for future projects.

8 ?! don't confuse Carl!!

I sent him a pic with 6 on last time but he had so many different suggestions it got lost in the daze :D

(hehe)

HaHaHa!

I was thinking like the current boards have the facility for 4 large caps or 6 smaller ones, why not continue the theme on the new boards? :D

Im sure thye will be great. :)

Very confusing, but the v2 boards will have space for 6x 35mm diameter caps, plus more room for the diodes and some extra holes for 0V connectors because I always seem to run out!

advertisement

Back