advertisement

Naim vs Exposure Amplifiers

I’ve had Naim amps since 1993. Always wanted to try Exposure, but the brand is scarce on the ground in western Canada. Then just today, I happened to buy an original owner XV integrated from a fellow in Toronto. It’ll be interesting to hear how it sounds compared to my shoebox Naits.

I’ve had Naim amps since 1993. Always wanted to try Exposure, but the brand is scarce on the ground in western Canada. Then just today, I happened to buy an original owner XV integrated from a fellow in Toronto. It’ll be interesting to hear how it sounds compared to my shoebox Naits.
Ah so you scored that!

Nice one.

Wilson, Vancouver.

You will love it. I have owned all of the amps including the super 15 all the way to the 16 monos. great stuff

Seconded
Exposure 15 is one hell of a good amp if 40-45W is enough.
Slightly worried about age though.
Three decades and it might be happy with a service recap.

I had/have the following Naim gears : Nait 1, NAC 42.5, 32.5, NAP 110, 160BD, 250.2, Supernait and Hicaps.
I am about to get an Exposure IV single transfo so I’m excited to hear it !

Like I always say, they're the two faces of a same medal, and, in fact, the only two brands still interesting me in hifi...when I'm talking of Exposure I talk about Farlowe era, I don't know were well the new models.
I think Naim has been able to perpetuate the traditional quality better than Exposure.
Exposure is a smaller company compared to Naim and the change of ownership didn't help it.

I think Naim has been able to perpetuate the traditional quality better than Exposure.
Exposure is a smaller company compared to Naim and the change of ownership didn't help it.
As regards the newer Exposure gear post JF
I think the opposite. Have been well regarded for years over all the ranges. Rarely have I heard anything negative. In fact if I spot a nice black 3010s2 player I may go for it to add to my older Jf Exposure gear.
The new top 5010 amps look fantastic. Not heard but I'm confident they will be top notch.

In fact I wrote that I don't know were well the new Exposure, but a cut in quality apparently there was....the only time I heard to the new products (pre+power, I don't remember the models), I had no regrets in still having the old ones.

Absolutely. The older stuff is highly regarded. Had my 21 and 18 monos for more than 20 years now. And they replaced an even older 19 / 18 combo.

I owned an exposure 3010 power amp for about a year.
I’m not sure if it had an issue but it was one of the most disappointing amps i have ever owned.
Really dry sounding, lack of soundstage and quite harsh/brittle.

Love my current 2010S2D integrated with a Naim source. Became a little obsessed with it after reading the wonderful and sadly departed, Art Dudley's somewhat infamous Stereophile review of the 2010S some years ago. Now replaced by the 2510 integrated in the range. I've had A couple of Naim integrateds in the past, I just prefer Exposure.

The Exposure XV is similar to the Nait 2 in the sense that you will regret selling it. Humans are insatiable.

Seconded
Exposure 15 is one hell of a good amp if 40-45W is enough.
Slightly worried about age though.
Three decades and it might be happy with a service recap.
I wouldn't worry. They are conventional enough, any technician can service it. If there are any bulging or leakinv caps do it now before it fries any transistors.

XVII/XVIII Super mono combo owner here and very happy with the set.

Unfortunately one of my mono’s fell ill this week and requires a repair, just three small components on one of the boards fried so awaiting contact from Exposure wrt repairing it. Hopefully it’ll be up and running soon...

I’m still after a 2010s power amp to use as mono blocks. Exposure stuff seems extremely hard to come by where as Naim seems far more readily available on the forums and eBay.

Anyone that’s had a 2010s find you need to turn the volume up to about 10, 11 o’clock to really get a decent loud volume out it? With records I need to have it past half way.

I’d like to hear the 21 and 18 combo, to see how it compares to what I’ve got. Anyone know if f the 21 had a phono stage built in?

I’m still after a 2010s power amp to use as mono blocks. Exposure stuff seems extremely hard to come by where as Naim seems far more readily available on the forums and eBay.

There is one on eBay at the moment, dealer in Newton Abbot. It is a 2010s. Priced fairly high would be my guess but as you're saying, not that common.

I'd love to buy the 2010s integrated and the Power to try with my Neat Petite SX but I can't possibly justify the £900 when I already have more than adequate amplification...

Edit - the listing for the 2010s Power has just ended, doesn't say sold though. I can't see his listing for the integrated (but it was definitely there at £450 ex-demo, Fanthorpes sold a used one for £375 a couple of weeks ago).

Anyone that’s had a 2010s find you need to turn the volume up to about 10, 11 o’clock to really get a decent loud volume out it? With records I need to have it past half way.

That implies a sensible gain structure. Too much gain means you end up using the volume control over a very limited range, which tends to highlight channel tracking errors at low SPLs.

That implies a sensible gain structure. Too much gain means you end up using the volume control over a very limited range, which tends to highlight channel tracking errors at low SPLs.

Ah right I have no idea about these type of things. I've had different guitar amps over the years that go from one extreme to the other. I've got a Peavey 5150 that if you turned it to 1 it put the windows in, but then other amps of the same power rating that need to go to about half way to achieve the same volume.

advertisement

Back