advertisement

Naim vs Exposure Amplifiers

Hi
Has anyone heard a new one preamp 5010? Better or worse than the MCX?
Whats the actual balance of forces Naim vs Exposure?)
I have old Exposure gear (XIV+IX+IVDR) and think about the way to go next to drive my Neat MFS.
Sometimes I think to sold all around and move to Supernait 3, but not really sure that`ll be good transfer)
I think that if you did this you would be very sorry.

Although I fall very firmly in the Exposure camp, if we're talking John vs Julian, the Naim always looked better!
The original Exposure case work was pretty nasty but that must have contributed to it's vastly superior value for money.

SBLs yup
Early CDPs yup
Otherwise not a Naim fan at all.

I worked in one of the rare stores that had both brands. The basic in store consensus was the lower model Exposure beat the next level up from Naim, i.e.
Exposure integrated beat Naim pre & power
Exposure pre & power beat Naim psu/pre/power
Etc.

I own Naim and Exposure amplifications since the late '80 first '90 years. Exposure (Farlowe era) amps have a more soft and materic tone while Naim (olive serie) have a lighter and ethereal timbre. On the mid-bass frequencies neither of is neutral: Exposure add colorations (making the tone rounder and warmer) while Naim detracts (making the tone drier). Which sounds better? My answer is: it depends how these amplifications are matched. In other words, with some loudspeakers I like more Exposure, with others Naim. For example, I prefer Exposure with BBC minimonitors (limited on the bass rensponse) but with other loudspekers that need more control on the bass, to me, Naim is a better.

Last edited:
Back in the mid 90's my dealer was also a Naim/Exposure dealer.
My first purchase was a pair of the rare XVI monoblocks (that were even more expensive than the NAP135s).
When it came time to getting a matching preamp, I ended up with a 52 as the Exposure preamps were not quite as good as their power amps.
Which was in contrast to Naim where their preamps were stronger than the power amps.
The 52/XVI combination was very formidable indeed.
I used it with Sonus Faber Extremas, DBLs and even Tukans.

Although I fall very firmly in the Exposure camp, if we're talking John vs Julian, the Naim always looked better!
The original Exposure case work was pretty nasty but that must have contributed to it's vastly superior value for money.

SBLs yup
Early CDPs yup
Otherwise not a Naim fan at all.

I worked in one of the rare stores that had both brands. The basic in store consensus was the lower model Exposure beat the next level up from Naim, i.e.
Exposure integrated beat Naim pre & power
Exposure pre & power beat Naim psu/pre/power
Etc.

Of absolutely zero relevance to the current discussion, but years back Exposure were based in Portslade, East Sussex, just to the west of Hove, itself just west of Brighton. Their premises was 100 yds from my infants school. I went to have a look in the window once (as an adult, rather than a 5-yr-old) and it appeared to be a house. I see they have now re-located (Exposure, not my school) further west again, to Lancing, so far west in fact it's in West Sussex.

Always wanted to try Exposure amps myself, likely related to the above, never did. Had Naim stuff for a while, all gone now.

I have switched from Naim 72/140 HiCap to Exposure 3010 and I don't want to go back

i felt the same way for years with my 2010 and 3010 - but then i went back.

there was a certain richness missing from the exposure setups and now they sound a bit anemic (even though pristine) to me

there was a certain richness missing from the exposure setups and now they sound a bit anemic (even though pristine) to me
Which amps do you have now?

That is part of what makes this hobby so interesting, as my experience is the opposite - the Exposure gear allows more natural richness through. The Naim systems I've had all sounded a bit . . . threadbare by comparison.

I'm not one of those folk that are constantly buying selling equipment and have had an Exposure 2010s Integrated and Power amp for about 10 years. Ran them through Neat Motive 1's and 3s and all sounds good to my ears anyway. Been looking to acquire a second power amp to bi amp, see if there's any difference.

Never had any Naim but I recently bought a used 2010s from here and I'm very happy with it. Warmer than the Audiolab 8000a it replaced but with more detail and the best bass I've ever had.

Heard the Exposure 5 series, pre and two mono's, being fed by clear audio turntable at bristol, in February. Grippy, driving and powerful sound, quite engaging. Good value at 7k.
Their active stuff sounded clear and again good value.
Naim stuff, does what it does, but the choice and competition is very different today than the 70's and 80's, when Naim ruled the roost.

Good value at 7k? I wish I lived on your planet.
7k is obviously a lot of money. The pre is 2k and the monos about 2.5 each. In high end audio terms and relative to sound quality is my denominator here.
Also inside the box, are some serious power supplies.

Last edited:
Heard the Exposure 5 series, pre and two mono's, being fed by clear audio turntable at bristol, in February. Grippy, driving and powerful sound, quite engaging. Good value at 7k.
Their active stuff sounded clear and again good value.
Naim stuff, does what it does, but the choice and competition is very different today than the 70's and 80's, when Naim ruled the roost.

If you enjoyed those systems then you'll absolutely love how the 5010 pre, 5010 monos and VXN active crossover sound together.

Interesting thread, I have a bit of a misfit Naim system which is well overdue a proper front end. I am currently using a Superuniti as a source/pre into a used and old Nap300, (now upgraded to DR and serviced) I have discovered that the 'Approved' Naim pre is far too expensive for me and along with its appropriate PSU would take up too much space.

Having heard it mentioned here that Exposure/Naim bits are interchangeable, I wondered if it was worth trying a 5010 pre with my Nap. What do you think? Better still has anyone tried either the 3010 or 5010 with a Naim Nap, and if so how did it work?

Interesting thread, I have a bit of a misfit Naim system which is well overdue a proper front end. I am currently using a Superuniti as a source/pre into a used and old Nap300, (now upgraded to DR and serviced) I have discovered that the 'Approved' Naim pre is far too expensive for me and along with its appropriate PSU would take up too much space.

Having heard it mentioned here that Exposure/Naim bits are interchangeable, I wondered if it was worth trying a 5010 pre with my Nap. What do you think? Better still has anyone tried either the 3010 or 5010 with a Naim Nap, and if so how did it work?

Why not try it, the 300 is a great amp on its own merit. The other option if you want to stay in the Naim camp, would be to try and find the one box 272.

A friend have Avondaled 32.5/PSU
Width as one box only
Below €750
That would comfortable leave the SU-pre behind, but then you need a streamer and perhaps miss a remote?

Thanks for the quick responses, I agree, I like my Nap 300 and it drives my ATC speakers well. I would like to try the 5010 pre with my amp when this is practical to arrange, I guess I was just curious to see if anyone had tried such a combination. The 272 is very much an option, although I am reluctant to buy into more legacy tech. My dealer also suggested that it might not be much of an upgrade on my SU. Perhaps if the used prices fall further.

I did think about modding older Naim tech, but I think that I would miss the convenience of a remote, in fact I suspect my missus will miss the 'all in one place' iPad interface we currently enjoy with the SU, I am also considering modding a used 152XS or even a 202, but the price to experiment is quite high and I still need another box in the form of a PSU.

advertisement

Back