advertisement

Naim vs Exposure Amplifiers

Would you like to try them for yourself? I have pretty much the entire Exposure range here. I am pretty sure I still have a Naim pre/power combo here somewhere.

Naim XS-2 vs Exposure 3010 S2D would be an interesting comparison between the two integrated amplifiers similarly priced.

Anyone heard how they compare ? Does one produce a richer or warmer sounding tone than the other. Soundstaging and which gives a greater insight into the recording ?

Naim XS-2 vs Exposure 3010 S2D would be an interesting comparison between the two integrated amplifiers similarly priced.

Anyone heard how they compare ? Does one produce a richer or warmer sounding tone than the other. Soundstaging and which gives a greater insight into the recording ?

This is what I'd like to find out.

Anyone recently compared the two.

Any views in the overall sound signature?

Thanks,

Rob

Rob - I changed from Naim to Exposure last summer, and wrote about it in this thread. It might give you some insight into why I switched.

I'm now running an Exposure 3010S2 CD player and preamp into a 28 power amplifier; driving either ProAc Response 2 or Linn Helix 2 speakers.

I have extensive experience with both Naim and Exposure, having owned both.

I have owned Exposure amps for over 20 years, including every preamp and just about every power amp - the 17, 21 and 14/9 preamps, and from the current series, the 3010s2 and MCX preamps. I have the 4DR and 16 Mono power amps, and a 3010s2 stereo power amp from the current series. I also have the Exposure 2010s2 DAC (two of them, in fact) and an Exposure 26 phono stage (identical to the current 3010s2 phono stage).

Some time ago I had a full Naim system of 52, Supercap, 250, CDS2/XPS and Prefix/Supercap. More recently I have owned a Supernait 2/Hicap DR, ND5 XS and Naim DAC, and currently own a Superline/Supercap (non-DR), as well as a 72 and olive 250. I also recently spent a couple of weeks with a 252 preamp.

In summary, Exposure craps all over Naim from a great height at every level. Exposure gear consistently sounds better and more musical than its Naim equivalent, at a fraction of the price, with fewer boxes and less complication.

Of the current Naim series, the Supernait 2, Naim DAC and 252 were all disappointing, particularly at their prices. I thought they all sounded pretty ordinary.

The Exposure MCX is a much better preamp than the Naim 252. The 3010s2 preamp is less refined than the 252, but more musical. The 3010s2 pre/power amps (which I understand sound very similar to the 3010s2 integrated) sound much better and more musical than the Supernait 2/Hicap DR, which sounded thin and sterile by comparison.

The Exposure DAC is, again, more engaging than the rather bland sounding Naim DAC, and doesn't need a massively expensive external power supply to sound adequate.

In broad terms, the Naim equipment is consistently leaner, colder, and tonally duller than Exposure equivalents. Exposure gear loses nothing in dynamics, but is richer, fuller and more engaging.

The only current Naim kit which I rate is the Superline, which is possibly the best product they have ever made. When partnered with a Supercap, it is amongst the best phono stages available, and handily beats the Exposure phono stages. The only qualified exception to this is the internal phono stage of the MCX preamp, which is very similar and perhaps 95% as good (at a tiny fraction of the price) with the qualifications that of course you need to own the MCX preamp to use it and it has only a single loading and gain option of 470 ohms.

You like the 72 though I guess? It seems to be the most popular pre amp Naim ever made.

The 72 is a recent acquisition, bought on an impulse buy, and I have spent limited time with it. I do like the 72, and it does have an engaging sound. Clearly less resolving than the 252 (as you would expect), it is more dynamic, sharper edged and more involving. But I would still take an Exposure system over a 72 based Naim system.

In one system I use Exposure's 3010S2 pre/monoblocks to drive a pair of Tannoy Kensington Gold Reference speakers. Front end is an Auralic Aries Mini feeding an Exposure 2010 DSD DAC.

In another I use a Naim 252/Supercap DR/250DR to drive ProAc K6 speakers. Front end is a Naim NDX.

In my experience, Naim has a much more forward, detailed and "in-your-face'' presentation. I had earlier paired the Naims with the Tannoys but couldn't stomach the sound, which for lack of better words I found overwhelming, relentless and ultimately tiring.

However thanks to advice and feedback on PFM (from Bob Edwards and RossB mainly) I auditioned Exposure gear both at the showroom and at home (the store loaned me the amps for a week) and found them to be a better match for my Tannoys. They are not so "in-your-face'', having a more subtle portrayal, with greater depth and soundstaging. Their sound is also "sweeter'' than the Naims.

With the K6s however, I've found the Naims to be a very acceptable match, much better than the Devialet 400s I was previously using. (I haven't tried pairing the Exposures with the K6s though - too much heavy lifting involved!).

My conclusion is that much depends on how the amps interact with your speakers.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: mbu
Ross since you have had so much experience with Expousre I would greatly appreciate some advice.

I am running a Original 17 paired with a Dual 4 reg recapped.

I am looking to update or upgrade my preamp. Options are to get my 17 completely reworked. Purchased a 21 that has been re-capped/updated or go with the 3010s premap.

My goal is get increased resolution. A Quieter line stage and bigger soundstage. Of all three options which would be my best sonic choice. Or do I really need to save for an MCX to get a jump in performance or possiblely the upper line power supplies/preamps from the Farlowe area (to be redone)?

If the MCX is not an option, I would choose the re-capped 21. The presentation is a bit less warm than the 17 but it is definitely higher resolution and bigger soundstage, as well as being more neutral.

The 3010 preamp is certainly very good but it has a different presentation to Farlowe-era Exposure and I don't think I would mix the two.

advertisement

Back