advertisement

Naim vs Exposure Amplifiers

There's certainly plenty of them still left here on pfm it seems! A rather sad and silly situation where some believe with a nod and a wink that amps from Naim and Exposure (maybe Linn also) are simply better than any other make for reasons only they get:rolleyes:

It simply ain't true. Exposure are way better than Naim IMHO but there are brands that will beat both and sometimes for less money.
And the brands that will beat both are : .......................

I've already said that the better MF power amps will THRASH them... and pretty much any other UK made amp.

I have a 5010 pre at the moment and been looking for the matching mono’s but they’re hard to come by second hand. Considering trying a different make, any suggestions for something, integrated or pre/power, that’s as good as the 5010?

I have a 5010 pre at the moment and been looking for the matching mono’s but they’re hard to come by second hand. Considering trying a different make, any suggestions for something, integrated or pre/power, that’s as good as the 5010?

Mainly power amps (I don't consider pre amps important in the big scheme of things and use a passive myself).

A370 and A370.2

P270 and P270.2

Nuvista 300

For integrateds

Nuvista 800 (personally I'd be wary of the fact it has a display etc though as regards future servicing)

A1000

I'd suggest Audio Research pre amps if you must have an active pre but avoid the LS25. SP9's "a sleeper" and very good VFM. The MF MVX is wonderful but very rare.

Hi Jez, I could get a MF P170 for only £.200. Do you recommend it and is a bargain for that price?

Hi Jez, I could get a MF P170 for only £.200. Do you recommend it and is a bargain for that price?
I have a fully refurbished P170 (recommended by Jez !) and I would say for this price, jump on it !
I compared it against some Naim NAP 110, 160BD and an Exposure IV unregulated and the P170 beats them all on most aspects but particularly on tone accuracy. Lots of PRaT too but in a polite way, without any harshness. Treble is also by far superior to all of the others, smooth and non fatiguing but very detailed.
I also have a Naim NAP 250.2 from 2011 and didn’t do a side by side comparison because I'm too afraid to be disappointed by my big Naim.........

I have a fully refurbished P170 (recommended by Jez !) and I would say for this price, jump on it !
I compared it against some Naim NAP 110, 160BD and an Exposure IV unregulated and the P170 beats them all on most aspects but particularly on tone accuracy. Lots of PRaT too but in a polite way, without any harshness. Treble is also by far superior to all of the others, smooth and non fatiguing but very detailed.
I also have a Naim NAP 250.2 from 2011 and didn’t do a side by side comparison because I'm too afraid to be disappointed by my big Naim.........

And that was a circa £500 ish model IIRC.... Imagine what the likes of the A370 can do when properly refurbished;)

advertisement

Back