advertisement

Naim vs Exposure Amplifiers

For some inexplicable reason (Probably JMH in retrospect) I sold a 42 /Hicap and spent an extra 500UKP on a very early MVT preamp....it was eons behind the 42 and was very cheaply constructed with 5p chassis mounted RCA sockets and a ton of 5532 opamps. I ended up giving it away.

An MVT was not one of their better pre amps but still vastly better than any Naim pre. There are no NE5532 op amps in them and phono sockets are completely irrelevant.. any phono socket that works is as good as any other.

Bought a M6 PRX a few months ago and very happy with it. Very well put together and better sound and looks wise to the old A3Cr pre/power I used years ago.

The demo model I tried was made in 2011 so reliability doesn't seem to be an issue.

You should take your rosies off some new gear is good.

Like I say I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Nor would I repair such gear.

What caps did you use for replacement? I recently picked up an XV Issue 2 with original Exposure labeled caps in it but think at 30+ years old it could use replacements (I do have some background noise that should not be there I believe).

0dcOFSzz-U-6-xlUPG1S8vunw
Exposure IV :
Large Kemet screw on for the reservoir, Nichicon KG for the 2200 uf and Kemet 356 for the tantalum.
The Exposure’s large capacitors are made by Kemet.
Exposure XXI :
Kemet with tabs for the reservoir and Nichicon KA for the small ones.

Reactions: VTA
No ones making you buy one!

Any amp of 20+ years old will be past its best and in fact, due to idiotic advice from Naim, many Naim users leave them on 24/7 meaning they need the treatment after <10 years!

Something like this is ideal https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Musical-...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

I'm not fishing for work BTW as I have too much else on!
I know for a fact these large vintage MF amps are well worth the investment for both the second hand buy and repair but what preamp from the same manufacturer would you recommend with it ? Or maybe something from another brand ?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I know for a fact these large vintage MF amps are well worth the investment for both the second hand buy and repair but what preamp from the same manufacturer would you recommend with it ? Or maybe something from another brand ?

Indeed the power amps are the stars. The Preamp-3A and The Preamp-8 are good cheaper pres and the once TOTR MVX is very good indeed. The MVX can be regarded as an EAR pre really... TdP designed and uses EAR SUT's and output transformers. It has transformer balanced outputs. IIRC the MVX was something like £3700 back in 1990!
The pre 3A and 8 in fact use very similar circuitry to the MVX but without the SUT's and output transformers and were only around £350 new IIRC.

MVT is Michael Vaughan Thomas ie Dr T ;)

Exposure IV :
Large Kemet screw on for the reservoir, Nichicon KG for the 2200 uf and Kemet 356 for the tantalum.
The Exposure’s large capacitors are made by Kemet.
Exposure XXI :
Kemet with tabs for the reservoir and Nichicon KA for the small ones.

Thank you! I am in the USA but have a shipping address in UK also. Could you recommend an online source to get these from? Much appreciated in advance.

I just sold my XV to a guy in Toronto. Hope I don’t regret it.....

I think you sold it to Adam of HIFIAF who then shipped it to me in Portland OR. I promise to take good care of it!

It does sound very good on first listen, well it sounded awful and volume knob was scratchy but after some Deoxit it was miles better. Comparing it to a modern SimAudio Ace (all in one streaming amp) it did fall a bit short but at 1/10th the price it was very good. I am hoping with some work (re-cap) it will sound damn good by any measure :)

Exposure easily betters Naim... but it's not a high bar. Musical Fidelity will thrash either but to you flat earthers there are only two brands in existence!

I'm surprised that there are flat earthers left; given the rather distant past when the marketing notion of PRaT was first advanced by Linn and Naim - the former with their 'tune dem' philosophy; decades have come and gone and the whole flat earth marketing jargon of the UK press and Linn and Naim at the time, has largely been discredited and forgotten.

I am a fan of both companies - Exposure and Naim.
Exposure: vii & viii anniversary edition set, xix & xviii set.
Naim: Nait 1 & Nait 3.

Each carrying its own qualities. It’s been fun mixing and matching my systems with different speakers I have: Spendor S35R, Epos m12.2 and Kudos X3.

Reactions: VTA
I'm surprised that there are flat earthers left; given the rather distant past when the marketing notion of PRaT was first advanced by Linn and Naim - the former with their 'tune dem' philosophy; decades have come and gone and the whole flat earth marketing jargon of the UK press and Linn and Naim at the time, has largely been discredited and forgotten.

There's certainly plenty of them still left here on pfm it seems! A rather sad and silly situation where some believe with a nod and a wink that amps from Naim and Exposure (maybe Linn also) are simply better than any other make for reasons only they get:rolleyes:

It simply ain't true. Exposure are way better than Naim IMHO but there are brands that will beat both and sometimes for less money.

Do you mean all amps or any boxes from Exposure ?

Have you considered some people might have another opinion than yours ?
heresy

Some have such severe hearing damage/brain damage that they like Kans and isobariks even! :p Live music must sound bizarre to them!

I had a Supernait and I liked it, but I think it was missing something... a larger scene perhaps, more opening... very good control, speed and excellent bass, today I have an Exposure 2010S2 that I also combine with others, but the Exposure will never leave my house...

There's certainly plenty of them still left here on pfm it seems! A rather sad and silly situation where some believe with a nod and a wink that amps from Naim and Exposure (maybe Linn also) are simply better than any other make for reasons only they get:rolleyes:

It simply ain't true. Exposure are way better than Naim IMHO but there are brands that will beat both and sometimes for less money.

Jez. Just curious. What are your thoughts on NVA amps?

S.

Jez. Just curious. What are your thoughts on NVA amps?

S.

I don't like them generally but I'm sure some are better than others... I actually had an early NVA pre that proved very useful for years. Like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16531067...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Very conventional and in metal casework and based on NE5534 op amps. The phono stage part was OK but now't special. The line stage was pretty decent but more to the point it had loads of room inside both below as well as above the pcb which is mounted about a third up from the bottom on an internal alloy bar frame. This allowed me to use the casework, selector switch and vol control as a test bed for my own line pre designs. A mate who liked the sound of it in one of its many incarnations offered me a very attractive price for it when I was skint and off it went... at least 25 years ago...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Really? I’ve got pretty good pitch, play (and used to sing a bit) where pitch important and way back when I was amazed at how badly many timetables did pitch… especially the Manticore Mantra that I once demmed and thought it incapable of pitching anything properly in the bass

Ah the never ending source of LOL's which is audiophiles talking cobblers....

If a TT is playing at the correct speed it has the correct pitch. Anything beyond that is down to the musicians!

Ah the never ending source of LOL's which is audiophiles talking cobblers....

If a TT is playing at the correct speed it has the correct pitch. Anything beyond that is down to the musicians!

Sorry, no. Its pitch definition was rubbish. Pink LPT I dem'd it against was miles better. Whether it was speed consistency or not I've no idea.

Sorry, no. Its pitch definition was rubbish. Pink LPT I dem'd it against was miles better. Whether it was speed consistency or not I've no idea.

Utter bollox. There is no such thing as "pitch definition". It is impossible for a TT running at the correct speed to not be at the correct pitch. Speed directly translates as pitch.

advertisement

Back