advertisement

System pics 2024

Missed this, John, and thanks. Very interesting comment on your M-Ls which I've never come across before. Could have sth to do with the 30 degree dispersion angle? You mention Coventry but Quad are in Huntingdon (where my 2905s are, currently; breath-taking bill for re-panelling !!!!!)

Heard (much smaller) M-Ls once, briefly, 12+ years ago and was quite impressed. Otherwise I've no experience but have been tempted. Up to now, at least !!!! :)
Me too when I first heard smaller MLs and Gyrodec over 20 years ago. I have wondered whether they are revealing rather than harsh, I didn’t think they were when I used my Aerius i for a while. I’ll take them and the unopened spare panels down from the loft this year and see how I feel having not heard them for 2 or 3 years now. They went into storage when life changed and the cat came as part of the package and I didn’t want it using the panels as climbing frames.

53635125288_14338f0fff_b.jpg

For the first time in years there has been a fairly substantive change. A Chord DSX1000 DAC/network streamer has arrived. Basically a Chord QBD76 with a DLNA/UPNP front end as well as a standard digital coax in for the Apollo-R as transport. I’m still sorting the network out as at present it is just hanging off the ethernet port of an Airport Express (I’ll run a proper cat 5 cable from the router in the back room, I have a suitably long cable on order) and I’ve taken out a Qobuz subscription. I’m very impressed so far. This will be a great music discovery tool. As a DAC it does edge-out the PDM3, though not by much (the PDM3 is seriously good IMO). At this level all DACs sound really good to my mind, i.e. once one is well above the point compromises were made in the analogue circuitry etc.

PS I do have the crazy big wide legs with it, but I very carefully took them off so it would actually fit on my table!
Wow. Qobuz is amazing, have a listen to the Joni Mitchell Vol 3 Archives. Your TT will get less use.

Wow. Qobuz is amazing, have a listen to the Joni Mitchell Vol 3 Archives. Your TT will get less use.

The one that has knocked me out so far is the recent Slowdive album Everything Is Alive. I came so close to buying it when there were nice limited signed copies floating around, but I’m always skeptical with old bands, so I passed. Played the 24/48 on Qobuz last night and it is a) a great album, and b) sounds absolutely amazing. Wish I’d bought it now!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The one that has knocked me out so far is the recent Slowdive album Everything Is Alive. I came so close to buying it when there were nice limited signed copies floating around, but I’m always skeptical with old bands, so I passed. Played the 24/48 on Qobuz last night and it is a) a great album, and b) sounds absolutely amazing. Wish I’d bought it now!
Some of the remasters on there are excellent. Some excellent HD REM for example. I’m delving further into the Joni Mitchell archives, last years release from The Streets is excellent.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ll take them and the unopened spare panels down from the loft this year and see how I feel having not heard them for 2 or 3 years now.
Would certainly be interesting but compared to what that you've been using in the interim? I'm wondering if, having now become accustomed to my PMC Twenty.26 and their set of strengths, how I'll take returning to my 6 panel ESLs. I guess that lovely wall of sound presentation will be a welcome reacquaintance.

What are you using as a source for Qobuz, is it via a laptop / PC ?

Still very much learning my way around. At present the MConnect Pro app on my iPhone or iPad. Annoyingly the official Qobuz app doesn’t seem able to stream to a DLNA renderer.

My main thing to sort out is networking as at present I have the Chord connected to the ethernet port of an old Apple A1264 Airport Express. My router is in the back room. I’ve ordered a sufficiently long cat 5 cable, so as long as I’ve got my measurements roughly right I should have a direct connection to the router soon. At present I’m getting dropouts on higher resolution, which is fair enough. The port on the AE was designed for a network printer, not this!

Still very much learning my way around. At present the MConnect Pro app on my iPhone or iPad.

My main piece of unsolicited advice is to find an interface that makes it easy-ish to find and play internet radio streams. This is where the magic really lies, for me! Being able to play, say, a shoegaze station from Southern California or any number of FIP channels is just incredible.

My main piece of unsolicited advice is to find an interface that makes it easy-ish to find and play internet radio streams. This is where the magic really lies, for me! Being able to play, say, a shoegaze station from Southern California or any number of FIP channels is just incredible.

I’ve not looked into any of that yet. I remember ages (over a decade) ago when I tried Spotify there were various command line options e.g. ‘label:ECM’ would just get it to shuffle stuff randomly on that label. Worked with genres too, though very loosely, e.g. ’genre:jazz’ would get a load of god awful smooth jazz of the type that makes me want to hurl abuse at random strangers.

If anyone has a recommendation for an iOS app that can squirt internet radio via DLNA let me know. Just getting BBC stations would be useful.

advertisement

Back