advertisement

System pics 2024

Yet another slight change of view me thinks.

jmS4Y34.jpeg
wow , you managed to get the beasts then ?

wow , you managed to get the beasts then ?
Yes Phil.
So glad I stretched myself, as had spent the intervening days kicking myself for pulling out. However I couldn't get the bloody things out of my head so bit the bullet and went for them.
One of my best hifi decisions, they are (to me atleast) an open window into the recording, revealing new stuff in recordings I thought I knew well. Thought the Zweiklangs were incredible with the MastersounD Compact 845, these Dreiklangs have taken things to a whole new level of ease, insight and refinement.

PF001.jpg

PF002.jpg

PF003.jpg

PF004.jpg

My current system and room.
Trio Kenwood L-07D DD Turntable with its own arm and the addition of an SME V arm.
Cartridges Ortofon Cadenza Mono in Trio's own arm and Ortofon Cadenza Bronze in SME V arm
Music First TX 103 SUT for the used for the mono cartridge
Preamp: Burmester 808 with 4 input modules and 2 output modules
CD player and DA converter.: Musical Fidelity KW DM CD player and DAC
Speakers: Dutch & Dutch 8c Active DSP.
Headphones Sony 1000XML5 for streaming Amazon HD only
Listening end: with more Vinyl and CD storage

As vinyl is my preferred source by far I would like to add another TT , probably vintage, but realistically no room and SWMBO would rightly object as thi room is our main living room.
Wow nice collection of vinyl😄

My SFD-2 MkII just arrived from the repair shop :)

IMG-0651.jpg

It is connected by AES/EBU cable to the Parasound B/CD2000 CD transport and my first impressions are very high, as my expectations were,
The thing I noticed from the first seconds was the quality of the high frequencies… so detailed and smooth…
I decided to do the Parts-Connection suggested mods except for the change of all plugs, so all capacitors were improved in quality, a voltage regulator, tubes sockets, some relays and resistors.
The tubes are new stock JJ E88CC but I will try some matched NOS in the near future.
One change was introduced: a switch on the back that allows shutting down the dac over night, because the stand-by button keeps everything hot and running, including the tubes!! So, now I have the possibility of choice.

This is a very special piece of Hi-Fi history and the sound most probably will set the bar very high, but (to all interested in this dac) there are 3 important aspects to consider:
- the repair is expensive and can be very difficult
- top NOS tubes will be needed for top performance
- some key components can fail and there aren’t available substitutions parts

This is also HDCD capable, to join my Naim CD5x, Parasound D/AC1100HD and Rotel RCD-971.

Never had a gold faced component but I am digging it :)

One of my best hifi decisions,
Although a different kettle of fish, John, I'd've thought your M-Ls would be hard to beat in the presentation dep't. Having said that, I've fully adapted to PMC after my Quad 2905s. Mind you, I'll have to re-adapt when they come back from Quad in a few weeks; that'll be interesting !

Although a different kettle of fish, John, I'd've thought your M-Ls would be hard to beat in the presentation dep't. Having said that, I've fully adapted to PMC after my Quad 2905s. Mind you, I'll have to re-adapt when they come back from Quad in a few weeks; that'll be interesting !
TBH Mike, I think it was only the fact I'd been using 989s that led me to the MLs as I didn't trust any Quad statsafter the repeated trips to and from Coventry and wanting to stay with stats. I eventually found the MLs too fatiguing and in your face, they sort of threw the music at you. It got to the point where I didn't want to listen to system 1.
I'm finding these Hecos are more suited to my room and sonic needs, yes, they do power and authority, but also delicacy and tonality. They're very revealing of source deficiencies (software & hardware) but don't put a spotlight on everything, it's a very cohesive, spacious, organic sound.

TBH Mike, I think it was only the fact I'd been using 989s that led me to the MLs as I didn't trust any Quad statsafter the repeated trips to and from Coventry and wanting to stay with stats. I eventually found the MLs too fatiguing and in your face, they sort of threw the music at you. It got to the point where I didn't want to listen to system 1.
I'm finding these Hecos are more suited to my room and sonic needs, yes, they do power and authority, but also delicacy and tonality. They're very revealing of source deficiencies (software & hardware) but don't put a spotlight on everything, it's a very cohesive, spacious, organic sound.
Will they last until May's BO? ;)

53635125288_14338f0fff_b.jpg

For the first time in years there has been a fairly substantive change. A Chord DSX1000 DAC/network streamer has arrived. Basically a Chord QBD76 with a DLNA/UPNP front end as well as a standard digital coax in for the Apollo-R as transport. I’m still sorting the network out as at present it is just hanging off the ethernet port of an Airport Express (I’ll run a proper cat 5 cable from the router in the back room, I have a suitably long cable on order) and I’ve taken out a Qobuz subscription. I’m very impressed so far. This will be a great music discovery tool. As a DAC it does edge-out the PDM3, though not by much (the PDM3 is seriously good IMO). At this level all DACs sound really good to my mind, i.e. once one is well above the point compromises were made in the analogue circuitry etc.

PS I do have the crazy big wide legs with it, but I very carefully took them off so it would actually fit on my table!

House renovation almost done and the snug now coming together with 2nd system, mainly stuff that's been in the loft for years, Elite SEs bought around 2005, not used since 2012. The Alabaster unused for >5 years, the volume pot was shot so had that replaced. Avondaled AAA5 CD player probably a decade unused, the drawer wouldn't open, replaced the pulley wheel - all good. Squeezebox Touch I managed to sync with Roon and working well as is the Benchmark DAC and sounds very good. Xerxes at the end.

53635125288_14338f0fff_b.jpg

For the first time in years there has been a fairly substantive change. A Chord DSX1000 DAC/network streamer has arrived. Basically a Chord QBD76 with a DLNA/UPNP front end as well as a standard digital coax in for the Apollo-R as transport. I’m still sorting the network out as at present it is just hanging off the ethernet port of an Airport Express (I’ll run a proper cat 5 cable from the router in the back room, I have a suitably long cable on order) and I’ve taken out a Qobuz subscription. I’m very impressed so far. This will be a great music discovery tool. As a DAC it does edge-out the PDM3, though not by much (the PDM3 is seriously good IMO). At this level all DACs sound really good to my mind, i.e. once one is well above the point compromises were made in the analogue circuitry etc.

PS I do have the crazy big wide legs with it, but I very carefully took them off so it would actually fit on my table!
What led to that choice please Tony?

Missed this, John, and thanks. Very interesting comment on your M-Ls which I've never come across before. Could have sth to do with the 30 degree dispersion angle? You mention Coventry but Quad are in Huntingdon (where my 2905s are, currently; breath-taking bill for re-panelling !!!!!)

Heard (much smaller) M-Ls once, briefly, 12+ years ago and was quite impressed. Otherwise I've no experience but have been tempted. Up to now, at least !!!! :)

Just added a Shanling CD transport to the system so I can play a few cds again. It also replaces the Wiim pro I purchased a couple of months ago. It’s really neat and at under £500 great vfm.
uhDeen2.jpeg
I like your wood cabinet, can you tell us which make ?

Missed this, John, and thanks. Very interesting comment on your M-Ls which I've never come across before. Could have sth to do with the 30 degree dispersion angle? You mention Coventry but Quad are in Huntingdon (where my 2905s are, currently; breath-taking bill for re-panelling !!!!!)

Heard (much smaller) M-Ls once, briefly, 12+ years ago and was quite impressed. Otherwise I've no experience but have been tempted. Up to now, at least !!!! :)
I was using Onething in Coventry for repairs (much cheaper at £120 per panel + 1yr warranty) they're pretty much gone now since Steve (the main man/owner) died. Two former Onething engineers (Andrew in Leicester & Alan near Oxford) do cost effective repairs now under the A Quad Thing banner.

advertisement

Back