advertisement

How much per month is your gas bill at the moment?

£587 Gas for January. 7131 kWh December vs 5972 kWh in January, both long months with a decent cold weather spell included. So maybe the Hive system is doing something. Xmas and guests staying will have cost some of the consumption in December.

Still a lot of money though.

Our gas bill was £307.24 from 26/12/2022 to 30/01/2023. That's for a 5-bed detached about 600ft up into the Pentland Hills (so usually a bit colder that the rest of Edinburgh). Seems like a lot to me, although not compared to some on here!

January was bloody cold! Energy usage very similar to December. £170 gas and £82 elec. Total £252 less the £66 bung = £186. Come April I believe it’s effectively 20% higher and no £66 rebate meaning the equivalent bill will be £302. On my usage that’s a 62% increase in the bill!

£587 Gas for January. 7131 kWh December vs 5972 kWh in January, both long months with a decent cold weather spell included. So maybe the Hive system is doing something. Xmas and guests staying will have cost some of the consumption in December.

Still a lot of money though.
Our gas consumption was similar, 6,594 kWh in December and 5,518 kWh in January. It’s expensive but manageable. I had feared worse.

Our gas bill was £307.24 from 26/12/2022 to 30/01/2023. That's for a 5-bed detached about 600ft up into the Pentland Hills (so usually a bit colder that the rest of Edinburgh). Seems like a lot to me, although not compared to some on here!

All about the insulation! Here is Listed, conservation area, no cavity wall, 4 stories high, some bedrooms in roof space with less insulation bla bla. At least we got secondary glazing fitted about 10 years ago and a new condensing boiler 5 years ago (although not much condensing going on if you have turn up the water temp!).

Signed up to a ‘peak save’ session with British Gas from 5.30pm - 6.30pm. Didn’t intend to go to the pub on a Monday but never mind. I’ll switch everything off, go out and see what difference it makes.

Signed up to a ‘peak save’ session with British Gas from 5.30pm - 6.30pm. Didn’t intend to go to the pub on a Monday but never mind. I’ll switch everything off, go out and see what difference it makes.

It's probably not going to save you the cost of a pint of Scruttock's Old Dirigible and a packet of crisps.

My Dad went on about this for about a week and tried to get me to turn my computer off for an hour (unacceptable!). Reader, we saved £1.80.

It's mostly about shifting the peak demand though to stop outages I think. The whole shitshow being afine example for free markets and competition!

If I saved £1.80, BG double it and knock £3.60 off the bill. That’s the same as a pint in my local, result!

Not sure about costs; heating/hot water comes on 7.00am.

Hot water goes off at 8.00am, back on at 4.00m and off at 10.00pm
Heating is on all day from 7.00am until 10.00m.
No heating at night.

Just two of us in the house.
4 bedroom linked/corner house.
Not a true terrace house.

The heating system heats up very quickly.
Bathroom radiator goes from cold to very warm in 5 mins.

Very efficient Valliant boiler about 4/5 years old.

Another ‘peak save’ session tomorrow. Going to have to go the the damn pub again, twice this week.

If Centrica weren’t making big profits right now there would be something very wrong. AIUI they’ll be paying £1BN of the £3BN in tax. Sounds reasonable, HMRC could do with a few more contributions like that.

I’ve just had the review with BG. £1,100 a year, that’s keeping the house at a constant 20 / 21 degrees throughout the autumn / winter (UFH). Obviously it’s off in the summer, gas is just for hot water. In August the gas bill was about £15. I’m OK with that.

Surely the windfall tax is a stealth tax on us? We massively overpay, and the government takes a chunk of our money as windfall tax from the power companies.
We're sold it as the government is doing something, but the logical thing is to cap the price we pay at an amount which doesn't allow these obscene profits.

advertisement

Back