advertisement

Potential Level 4 heat warning for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday in England (i.e., you might die)

Sky News have just stated “1000 people in England and Wales have died as a result of the heatwave”. No qualification of this yet. I assume they must be factoring-in already very ill people who were tipped over the edge by it. I expected maybe fifty or so, mostly Darwin Award candidates jumping into the sea and drowning etc, but these figure seems extraordinary.

It's not about changing cars - it's more about getting rid of cars. I've never driven neither did my parents or grandparents, it simply isn't a necessity if governments invest in decent transport systems. Currently the G7/20 plan to leave us to suffer...

Sky News have just stated “1000 people in England and Wales have died as a result of the heatwave”. No qualification of this yet. I assume they must be factoring-in already very ill people who were tipped over the edge by it. I expected maybe fifty or so, mostly Darwin Award candidates jumping into the sea and drowning etc, but these figure seems extraordinary.

They'll see the excess death figures before too long.

There is a fifth view

5) That the conditions which lead to global warming will continue, but their effects will be adequately mitigated by geo-engineering solutions. Mirrors in space to divert the sun’s rays, that sort of thing. Science will come to our rescue.

While science/engineering will play a role, what happens if it doesn't deliver in time? Is there a Plan B to off-set that risk?

It's not about changing cars - it's more about getting rid of cars. I've never driven neither did my parents or grandparents, it simply isn't a necessity if governments invest in decent transport systems. Currently the G7/20 plan to leave us to suffer...

How is somebody supposed to visit parents / grandparents / friends / holiday with a couple of young kids, luggage, shopping, etc etc, in the pouring rain / wind / snow / 40 degree heat etc, on public transport? Let alone running businesses, customer appointments etc. The whole country is built around the road network. I’m sure many will be forced off the road because of rising costs, which is of course the easy option for govts.

How is somebody supposed to visit parents / grandparents / friends / holiday with a couple of young kids, luggage, shopping, etc etc, in the pouring rain / wind / snow / 40 degree heat etc, on public transport? Let alone running businesses, customer appointments etc. The whole country is built around the road network. I’m sure many will be forced off the road because of rising costs, which is of course the easy option for govts.

You haven't grasped the scale of the problem yet!

Global population in 1800 = 1BN
Global population in 1900 = 2BN
Global population in 2000 = 6BN
Global population in 2022 = 8BN

That’s the problem.

So you want to kill off people in the poorer nations to fund an excessive lifestyle for yourself?

We'd do better killing off people in the richer nations.

Edit: Gav that's an unfair characterisation of what Ponty posted. I think he's right in defining the problem - we're in a Malthusian crisis. He hasn't proposed a solution such as you ascribe to him. Don't shoot the messenger.

How is somebody supposed to visit parents / grandparents / friends / holiday with a couple of young kids, luggage, shopping, etc etc, in the pouring rain / wind / snow / 40 degree heat etc, on public transport?

It may amaze you but many of us have managed a whole lifetime without a car.

PS FWIW I’m dreading when my dad becomes ill or dies as he is in a remote area of Cumbria which really is a total PITA to get to from here, but that aside I’ve managed fine for 59 years.

PS FWIW I’m dreading when my dad becomes ill or dies as he is in a remote area of Cumbria which really is a total PITA to get to from here, but that aside I’ve managed fine for 59 years.
And you are, as you often remind us, an outlier in your lifestyle. And as you've said before, it does put a crimp in your business activities - you're not able to buy large collections if you can't transport them easily. And as you get older, you'll find more and more limits on the utility of public transport.

It's really not that uncommon the get the bus or train into work - it's become a lot more difficult overtime.
Tony, as you probably know, doesn't commute and is semi-reclusive in his habits, so your reply doesn't really follow from what I said.

So you want to kill off people in the poorer nations to fund an excessive lifestyle for yourself?

Who said anything about that? People (certainly in the west) need to consume less of pretty much everything (particularly food). Breeding less will help as well. The size of the population is the root cause of the majority of issues IMHO. It boils down to competition for scarce resources.

Get around without a car: impossible!
Improve infrastructure: impossible!
Cull 50% of the global population: sensible policy for a better tomorrow.

Learned helplessness of Tories is one of reasons they’re so susceptible to fascism.

All depends where you live and what you do for a living really. When I lived in central London (90’s), I had a car. Probably wouldn’t bother now but then I also wouldn’t want to live in London now.

Get around without a car: impossible!
Improve infrastructure: impossible!
Cull 50% of the global population: sensible policy for a better tomorrow.

Learned helplessness of Tories is one of reasons they’re so susceptible to fascism.

One thing is certain, fascism and other militaristic 'solutions' will destroy the planet.

advertisement

Back