advertisement

Potential Level 4 heat warning for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday in England (i.e., you might die)

And yet these highs and lows within days are mind-boggling. By the afternoon tomorrow here it'll be 16/17 degrees cooler and raining on and off. Predicted temperature for Friday as low as 12°C and likely around 18°C.

Outside temperature has dropped to 21 °C. Inside, it's 28 °C near the window, still 32 °C at the other end of the room.

When you put more energy into a chaotic system, greater and faster variations are to be expected. Ask any mathematician.
Quite so. I hoped that's what I was alluding to. I need to work on my clarity of expression.

Years ago on PFM there were many bitter arguments about man made climate change and whether it was real or not. Most protagonists are long gone but I wonder what they are saying now?

most of the deniers were right wing loons so they are likely to be still in denial I would imagine.

Years ago on PFM there were many bitter arguments about man made climate change and whether it was real or not. Most protagonists are long gone but I wonder what they are saying now?

most of the deniers were right wing loons so they are likely to be still in denial I would imagine.
I think the daily mail is still telling us to enjoy the sunshine, have a barbeque and if it's still not in the evening you could go for a drive. Anyone complaining is just a snowflake. Oh, and vote Penny.

The progression in their views goes like this:

1) No such thing as global warming; scientists are lying

2) Maybe a bit of global warming, but it's just a natural cycle; scientists are exaggerating

3) OK, there is global warming, but there's nothing we can do about it because China

4) Although global warming is bad, I'm not going to change my lifestyle/pay more taxes because I'll be dead before it really hits

The progression in their views goes like this:

1) No such thing as global warming; scientists are lying

2) Maybe a bit of global warming, but it's just a natural cycle; scientists are exaggerating

3) OK, there is global warming, but there's nothing we can do about it because China

4) Although global warming is bad, I'm not going to change my lifestyle/pay more taxes because I'll be dead before it really hits

There is a fifth view

5) That the conditions which lead to global warming will continue, but their effects will be adequately mitigated by geo-engineering solutions. Mirrors in space to divert the sun’s rays, that sort of thing. Science will come to our rescue.

There is a fifth view

5) That the conditions which lead to global warming will continue, but their effects will be adequately mitigated by geo-engineering solutions. Mirrors in space to divert the sun’s rays, that sort of thing. Science will come to our rescue.

Equally barking.

There will be some solutions but it's dangerously lazy to rely on this approach. This is the inherent weakness of the 2050 timeline. If such technical solutions are to be a reality my view is there would already be working prototypes in place. Think of the cost and the scale.

Just 1/2 an inch of rain over a small city releases the same energy as ca 50 million car tanks of petrol - the sums are just incomprehensible!

It does expose the hollowness at the heart of government. Under Johnson, it’s been deemed sufficient to make the right noises without needing to back them up with planning and action. The GLP called them out on it and has been proven right. Which is gratifying, but not surprising.

There is a fifth view

Have you been drinking the tap water down there again?

There is a fifth view

Politicians like to promote this because it means they can tell everyone to just carry on as normal. No pesky behavioural changes required. No impact to the economy. Ignore all the 'green crap'.

"Currently unavailable technology will, at some unspecified point in the future, save us!"

Exactly the same argument was made five years ago for how the post-Brexit Northern Ireland border would work. Yay! Technology! That's going well.

Politicians like to promote this because it means they can tell everyone to just carry on as normal. No pesky behavioural changes required. No impact to the economy. Ignore all the 'green crap'.

"Currently unavailable technology will, at some unspecified point in the future, save us!"

Exactly the same argument was made five years ago for how the post-Brexit Northern Ireland border would work. Yay! Technology! That's going well.

As I said elsewhere, politicians don’t GAF about it, except perhaps the Greens. It’s short term agendas only. 8BN people are torching the planet through net over consumption (clearly some consume less and others a lot more). Changing what cars we drive or what boiler we have etc is tinkering around the edges IMHO.

advertisement

Back