advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

I agree, but I think if I wanted a gun to defend my home I'd want a shotgun and not an assault rifle. I can see absolutely no reason to allow the sale of semi auto guns. Hunting rifles I get, and shotguns also - but large capacity semi auto (or auto) guns have no place in a civilized society.

Couldn’t agree more.

^ yeah but you know these people have their "Own Personal Jesus", who is just anything they want him to be.

Not sure if anyone saw CH4 News last night...Texas school did everything it could to protect itself, what Republicans recommend - increased security spend 2x, fence, surveillance and 2/3 armed security guards. All failed.

"This is the price of freedom."

Nice work from this Sky News reporter:

https://twitter.com/malonebarry/status/1529784584996630528

Once Cruz realises the usual flim-flam isn't going to work, he runs away.

Shame they didn’t hit him with the countless $millions he and his repugnant far-right death-mongering party receives from the NRA and the arms industry. He is seemingly happy for piles of bodies of children to be stacked up however high as long as the cash keeps coming in. No amount of death, blood and misery will be allowed to stop this Republican Party funding stream. They have received many $millions from the NRA and that’s before we even get to donations from arms manufacturers (Brady). A party just as bent and crooked as our Tories, but even able to profit from child murderers by wilfully distorting the constitution. Scum.

The hypocrisy of the Republican right is off the planet, proposing laws banning abortion after conception, a supposed 'pro life' move but doing nothing to protect kids once they are born. Restricting freedoms for anyone who is not straight and white but promoting the right to own semi automatic weapons in the name of personal freedom...

Wow, just caught up on the Texas police situation. A whole shed load of them just standing around outside the school room for three quarters of an hour until the shooter had finished killing all the kids. Astonishing. I guess if there’s no unarmed black guy to kneel on or shoot in the back they are way, way out of their depth.

Wow, just caught up on the Texas police situation. A whole shed load of them just standing around outside the school room for three quarters of an hour until the shooter had finished killing all the kids. Astonishing. I guess if there’s no unarmed black guy to kneel on or shoot in the back they are way, way out of their depth.

I'm now waiting for the NRA to repeat their calls to arm the teachers. I wouldn't be totally surprised to hear calls to arm the kids, such is the depth of depravity of the NRA and their GOP enablers.

When the second amendment was written I'm guessing the most advanced technology around was muskets? I'm sure the principle of a well armed militia to ensure the liberty of a free state, doesn't really extend to allowing ragey teenagers to own automatic rifles. It's ****ing bonkers having these weapons on sale to the public, but then the American state has the biggest arsenal in the world, and is likely the most aggressive nation - in other countries wars anyway - since WW2, aggression and fetishisation of weapons seems built into the American psyche.

When the second amendment was written I'm guessing the most advanced technology around was muskets? I'm sure the principle of a well armed militia to ensure the liberty of a free state, doesn't really extend to allowing ragey teenagers to own automatic rifles. It's ****ing bonkers having these weapons on sale to the public, but then the American state has the biggest arsenal in the world, and is likely the most aggressive nation - in other countries wars anyway - since WW2, aggression and fetishisation of weapons seems built into the American psyche.

When the Second Amendment was written, it was not intended for there to be a standing army, so the "Well regulated militia" would have been the country's only defense.

And, in the context of eighteenth century legalese, "well regulated" means well-trained and ready to fight.

The average "good guy with a gun" does not really qualify as a member of the supposed "well regulated militia". In active shooter situations, the average "good guy with a gun" has proven to be ineffective, or the average beat cop; it takes elite law enforcement squads with special training. It's not like riding a bicycle, firearms training requires continuous training to remain sharp.

I think that one is far more broken than the other, and anyone who disagrees is very likely a supporter of the much more broken party.

The root cause of most of the problems in US politics is the lack of campaign finance regulation and the revolving door between politics and industry.
Term limits could be useful

Jim Jeffries made the same argument but much more humorously :

advertisement

Back