advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

Is it really fear of a 'tyrannical government' ? Or is it fear of fellow citizens, particularly those with darker skins ?

Both. What they hate most about government is that it enacts laws giving those with darker skins the same rights as the master race.

A shocking 28% of Americans think that gun violence is a small problem or none at all.
And 34% think that climate change is a small problem or none at all.

Alternatively, 72% of Americans disagree with those who say gun violence is a small problem or none at all, and 63% on climate change.

While not all that encouraging, given that IIRC something like 14% literally agreed that Obama was the antichrist, it doesn’t seem quite so bad when you turn it round.

Interesting that rural folk eschew city life for safety reasons, yet need guns to protect themselves.

They also eschew city life for libertarian reasons: no body can tell me what to do. Buying guns is a sign of defiance, and offers the false promise of defense against a tyrannical government.

An excellent response to the shooting and Republican gun corruption from Jimmy Kimmel (Twitter). I’d have linked/embedded it on YouTube, but I can’t find it there yet. He nails it regardless.

It's always worth reminding ourselves that much of the insanity around the second amendment really only dates from 2008 when the supreme court dropped the "well regulated militia" bit and effectively made personal ownership of guns a constitutional right.

https://www.vox.com/22382180/supreme-court-uvalde-guns-violence-second-amendment-heller-scalia

Also that the NRA was radicalised by this guy who is a sort of Poundshop Charles Bronson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlon_Carter

The same Scalia that gave the election to Bush. That man has a lot of blood on his hands.

Interesting that rural folk eschew city life for safety reasons, yet need guns to protect themselves.

Ironic, but (to a degree) understandable.

I live in the city, and have no choice but to be security conscious. We lock our doors, keep our yards well lit at night, and so on. I have no interest in owning a gun for self-defense, but that’s my personal choice. I did a lot of target shooting when I was young, so I do know how to safely own a gun. I simply don’t want one in the house.

Here’s the rub though. If I lived in the country, far from helpful neighbors or a rapid police response, I have to admit I might rethink my position.

Today, Uvalde police press conference was a f*cking disaster! Cover-up after cover-up, etc.

#COWARDS

Today, Uvalde police press conference was a f*cking disaster! Cover-up after cover-up, etc.

#COWARDS

That was unbelievable. As if the families of the deceased aren’t going though enough right now. Minimally, and as soon as possible, they deserve clarity and answers to their questions.

Here’s the rub though. If I lived in the country, far from helpful neighbors or a rapid police response, I have to admit I might rethink my position.

I agree, but I think if I wanted a gun to defend my home I'd want a shotgun and not an assault rifle. I can see absolutely no reason to allow the sale of semi auto guns. Hunting rifles I get, and shotguns also - but large capacity semi auto (or auto) guns have no place in a civilized society.

advertisement

Back