advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

Has anyone recommended the return of the auto-da-fé yet? Or is that only because of a lack of historical knowledge?
Be fair, they’re only on nodding terms with the English language in the US, you can hardly expect them to get to grips with something written in foreign.

I know I shouldn't but deep down I'd not be unhappy to see a mass shooting at a GOP convention, so they got a taste of what they inflict on others.

they would get on their knees and accept it like the last scene of an adult film

dropped my kids off at elementary school (Maryland/east coast) this morning and there is a police presence "in light of recent events". I will never understand the mass mental-illness* that has stricken so many in my country (Republicans and mass shooters). There's a feeling of helplessness. I'm not sure why we haven't gone on full strike and to the streets of DC (a few miles away) today.

I know I shouldn't but deep down I'd not be unhappy to see a mass shooting at a GOP convention, so they got a taste of what they inflict on others.

I think many people who normally don't have dark thoughts are starting to. It's a natural reaction, I think. A newish Superchunk song has been stuck in my head lately, If You're Not Dark.

If you're not dark
at least in some little part
what are you on?
are just numb?

they would get on their knees and accept it like the last scene of an adult film

dropped my kids off at elementary school (Maryland/east coast) this morning and there is a police presence "in light of recent events". I will never understand the mass mental-illness* that has stricken so many in my country (Republicans and mass shooters). There's a feeling of helplessness. I'm not sure why we haven't gone on full strike and to the streets of DC (a few miles away) today.

On our local news (Boston, MA) last night they were interviewing pediatricians and counselors who were stressing the importance of parents taking the time to reassure children that they are safe when there is news like this.
I felt like shouting at the TV "The kids are NOT f*ck*ng safe, you f*ck*ng idiots". F*ck this denial - won't happen to my kids?! It may be less likely in Massachusetts, but it's a hell of a lot more likely than for kids in Canada, UK, Australia, NZ, France, Germany etc. etc.

On our local news (Boston, MA) last night they were interviewing pediatricians and counselors who were stressing the importance of parents taking the time to reassure children that they are safe when there is news like this.
I felt like shouting at the TV "The kids are NOT f*ck*ng safe, you f*ck*ng idiots". F*ck this denial - won't happen to my kids?! It may be less likely in Massachusetts, but it's a hell of a lot more likely than for kids in Canada, UK, Australia, NZ, France, Germany etc. etc.

I didn't have children when Sandy Hook happened. Being more relatable, this hit a lot harder. Had to hide the tears from the kids because I don't want them to know that this exists in the world (this country).

And if parents reassure their kids that they are safe, they're also reassuring themselves that their kids are safe. And if they are reassured, they're not going to be marching on City Hall demanding gun controls.

Superb rant here from Steve Kerr, who I’ve never heard of as I don’t have any concept of sport, but he’s something to do with basketball and he absolutely nails this (Twitter).

Steve Kerr is an amazing person. His dad, Malcolm, was Middle East scholar at UCLA, who became the president of American University in Beirut during the civil war in Lebanon. Malcolm was assassinated by Shia militia. Steve Kerr grew up, in part, in Beirut.

Can you imagine One America News ? "A mob of liberal/commies marching on the Capitol."

Can you imagine One America News ? "A mob of liberal/commies marching on the Capitol."

I live in Annapolis, MD. There are a few rivers that cut through turning the area into a series of peninsulas. There's a river called the South River, and across that river, it is far, far more "red state" than my side. It's like the Confederate Mason Dixon line. As soon as you get close, you start seeing more pickup trucks with monster truck tires, "Let's Go Brandon" stickers and the like. The other day I saw a sticker on one that said "I see your stick figure family, here's mine" and it had a lineup of a bunch of automatic weapons. I don't even understand the point of that bumper sticker, but there's a mental illness in the right. they stand for nothing. i think they mostly resent their blue collar position in society, but who knows.

I live in Annapolis, MD. There are a few rivers that cut through turning the area into a series of peninsulas. There's a river called the South River, and across that river, it is far, far more "red state" than my side. It's like the Confederate Mason Dixon line. As soon as you get close, you start seeing more pickup trucks with monster truck tires, "Let's Go Brandon" stickers and the like. The other day I saw a sticker on one that said "I see your stick figure family, here's mine" and it had a lineup of a bunch of automatic weapons. I don't even understand the point of that bumper sticker, but there's a mental illness in the right. they stand for nothing. i think they mostly resent their blue collar position in society, but who knows.
They resent the highly visible influence of the 'woke creatives.' And they fear the non-white.

"Senator Ted Cruz of Texas and Governor Abbott are speaking Friday at the NRA annual meeting on Friday in Houston. DAMN THEY CANT EVEN ****ING WAIT UNTIL THE BLOOD OF THE CHILDREN IS WASHED AWAY. THE INDECENCY!" (Wendell Pierce via Twitter)

Ho-hum...

Who knew that dead children could be good for stock prices ?!

https://www.businessinsider.com/top-2-gun-makers-stocks-rise-after-texas-school-shooting-2022-5?op=1

The stock prices of America's five largest public gun- and ammunition-makers rose on Wednesday morning after a school shooting on Tuesday in Uvalde, Texas, left 19 children and 2 adults dead.

Americans tend to stock up on guns and ammunition when gun control returns to the political agenda. The stock prices of gun- and ammo-makers rose after the 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School and the San Bernardino shooting in 2015.

Hence the weasel words from the GOP, who have to defend in indefensible in order to continue to receive the blood money campaign contributions from the gun and ammunition manufacturers.

Who knew that dead children could be good for stock prices ?!

They always are. Whenever this kind of mass murder occurs the gun-loving nut-jobs, fascists etc panic that there could be regulation or even bans so go out and buy a load more guns and ammo. There will never be regulation as the Republican party is entirely corrupt and funded by a bottomless pit of gun money from the NRA and various arms manufacturers, so the situation will persist eternally. The NRA and the Republican Party are built on a pile of child corpses. Trump will be feasting on yet more gun money in a day or two.

The percentage of Americans that own guns is still on the decline. 3% of the populations owns 50% of the guns. These are the people who think guns will protect them from a tyrannical government, a government that spends 1 trillion on defense, and that does not include law enforcement. Talk about delusional.

The percentage of Americans that own guns is still on the decline. 3% of the populations owns 50% of the guns. These are the people who think guns will protect them from a tyrannical government, a government that spends 1 trillion on defense, and that does not include law enforcement. Talk about delusional.

Is it really fear of a 'tyrannical government' ? Or is it fear of fellow citizens, particularly those with darker skins ?

advertisement

Back