advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

@IanW We know that Mercedes are focusing on next years car and the rule changes have slowed down the current car but could they still develop it enough to make it more competitive with the RB even if they did have the surplus budget for it? Only one win in ten races for Lewis has it looking like he’s in a fight with one hand tied behind his back. This is turning into a bitter, almost personal battle and I can see some serious scars for the losing driver which is looking like Lewis at the moment. I still say this is his last chance of a record of WC titles. Next year it’s anyone’s guess and he’ll face a much better team mate tool and we don’t know if Mercedes will hit the ground running with the new car regs. It could take a couple of seasons by which time Lewis may have lost his edge & George should be the quicker driver. That might even happen next season anyway.

I’d say Lewis is in a much better place with his mindset than Max is. Lewis has proven himself and Max hasn’t. I think we can put money on Mercedes not messing up for next year if they’ve already put so much into it. They’re unlikely to be running in the mid-field.

Oh please.... not Adelaide 1994 again!!!! Let it go people, Damon has!
Hill was interesting on the Adelaide incident in the abovementioned Schumacher documentary - "If I'd been in his position, would I have done the same thing? Hmmm...."

Go where?

Down the road of throwing insults, quotes etc.

Abba are relevant to 2021 because they’re in the news as a band again, even if in a weird way.
F1 in 1994 is completely irrelevant to F1 in 2021 because the rules, cars, engines, drivers, season, coverage, aero, gearboxes, tyres, pit garages, onboard cameras etc are all different. In a separate thread about historical incidents in F1 it’d be fine, but this thread looks forward more than backwards.

Was it Ron Dennis who said that those who spend the present in the past spend the future in the present?

A sprinkling of the past is fine, I’d say, but no more than that sprinkling…

Down the road of throwing insults, quotes etc.

Abba are relevant to 2021 because they’re in the news as a band again, even if in a weird way.
F1 in 1994 is completely irrelevant to F1 in 2021 because the rules, cars, engines, drivers, season, coverage, aero, gearboxes, tyres, pit garages, onboard cameras etc are all different. In a separate thread about historical incidents in F1 it’d be fine, but this thread looks forward more than backwards.

Was it Ron Dennis who said that those who spend the present in the past spend the future in the present?

A sprinkling of the past is fine, I’d say, but no more than that sprinkling…

Throwing 'quotes', yes, thats generally what people do in a debate.

To understand F1, and to see parallels in rivalry, which has relevance due to the current one, one must look towards history and see the evolution of F1 through all its changes, and to also see, that human nature and the desire to win can often skew decency and it existed whatever the year. So no, I do not agree that F1 in 1994 is not irrelevant to F1 in 2021 at all. Its more relevant than Abba in the similar years, that's for sure.

Imagine if new young F1 fans learning about its history were told 'it has no relevance', it's a ridiculous statement, and kinda one of those 'older generation' arrogant ones because you *were there* and they were not.

The relevance is the rivalry at the moment, so history is valid in this thread.

The past, essentially made the future. It's always good to understand the first, and live towards the second.

one of those 'older generation' arrogant ones because you *were there* and they were not.

Surely my “being there” would lead me to say how more relevant it is?

In the intervening 27 years I’ve become used to rolling my eyes whenever people say “Ah, what about Schumacher when he did XXX”

Done to death.

Surely my “being there” would lead me to say how more relevant it is?

In the intervening 27 years I’ve become used to rolling my eyes whenever people say “Ah, what about Schumacher when he did XXX”

Done to death.

Exactly, and in those 27 years, many won't have said anything as they were too young or were not aware. Dont hate the past because you've been around a long time and it's become boring for you. Many havent.

@IanW We know that Mercedes are focusing on next years car and the rule changes have slowed down the current car but could they still develop it enough to make it more competitive with the RB even if they did have the surplus budget for it? Only one win in ten races for Lewis has it looking like he’s in a fight with one hand tied behind his back. This is turning into a bitter, almost personal battle and I can see some serious scars for the losing driver which is looking like Lewis at the moment. I still say this is his last chance of a record of WC titles. Next year it’s anyone’s guess and he’ll face a much better team mate tool and we don’t know if Mercedes will hit the ground running with the new car regs. It could take a couple of seasons by which time Lewis may have lost his edge & George should be the quicker driver. That might even happen next season anyway.
If Merc had surplus budget, which they will not have as the spend would have been planned a long time ago, and they had planned performance developments back in June or before, then yes they could deliver some improvements over the next few races.

But as I have explained a few times on here, the right decision is to invest as much as possible in getting the best solution with the new rules as they stand a very good chance of dominating for the next n years as well.

Max has won 7 races so far and Lewis 4, and yet Lewis is still very much in the championship. With 8 races to go, Lewis can still win, and if they cut out their strategic errors, then I think that Lewis has a very good chance.

advertisement

Back