advertisement

Hms vigil

Anyway I enjoy the 'looks' all the characters give. They obviously rehearsed that aspect as every look seems to tell a thousand stories or meanings...!

.......living in a sub does look very challenging

It is, not that you would guess it from this series.

A decent, well researched, drama could have exploited the claustrophobia to good dramatic effect, like in Das Boot, and even the Bedford Incident. Instead we are treated to a jolly on a cardboard submarine like the Tardis, and a plot to match.

So CI Amy Silva fell as she was going down the ladder, and the other policewoman fell in the struggle during the burglary in her flat – that’s two falls and a sub mission so far – I’m expecting Giant Haystacks to make an appearance in episode 3!

If you like murders on subs and meaning looks betwee characters then I can recommend The Investigation which is a BBC drama based on a true story from Scandinavia. Look out for the Maritime Cadaver Dogs.

"On the Beach" is a work of fiction from 60+ years ago.

This is what Wikipedia says about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letters_of_last_resort

My rhetorical reference to the novel/film was acknowledging the dilemma faced by any Captain under such circumstances and ultimately, given those circumstances it is up to the Captain what he decides regardless what the letter contains.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Beach_(novel)
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...-apocalyptic-orders-for-uk-vanguard-sub-crews

As has been said, it is a tv drama, it does not have to be realistic and it isn’t.

It looks quite spacious to me. :)

We’ll be watching it all here.

Absurd on many levels but it's entertaining enough and murder mysteries are always fun.

I think it suffered in comparison with episode 4 of The Investigation, which I had watched immediately before. The Scandinavian drama is superior in every way but episode 4, which focuses on the use of cadaver detecting dogs is special. It sounds daft, but it's one of the most compelling 45 minutes of TV I've seen in a long time.

Last edited:
Well, its nearly Sunday so episode 3 is incoming rather rapidly.
Question is... who is next to be bumped off?

That dude who wouldn’t answer the captain’s questions I reckon. Don’t ask me a name, I can’t be arsed.
I reckon by the end of the episode, half of Faslane will have been choppered out to the sub.

I will risk being called racist but I felt that the captains role was as wooden as the chief of detectives in Bosch!

As for locking the police women in a cupboard , surely they have borrowed a writer from children's television , I must learn to laugh more!

It is, not that you would guess it from this series.

A decent, well researched, drama could have exploited the claustrophobia to good dramatic effect, like in Das Boot, and even the Bedford Incident. Instead we are treated to a jolly on a cardboard submarine like the Tardis, and a plot to match.
filmed on real subs no doubt , das boot , you can almost smell the engines , fantastic

That dude who wouldn’t answer the captain’s questions I reckon. Don’t ask me a name, I can’t be arsed.
I reckon by the end of the episode, half of Faslane will have been choppered out to the sub.

I think some of the crew kept referring to him as Hendo, or something like that.. Was that him?

I'm more interested to find out if they are being shadowed, and by whom... Surely they can't introduce that and then not go back to it. Is it really just a game of Cluedo on a sub? Or, are we going in to full thermo nuclear war?

"Come, come, come." said the Sardines Mum. It's only a tin full of people.

I'm more interested to find out if they are being shadowed, and by whom... Surely they can't introduce that and then not go back to it.
I think that’s a red herring. Because in reality, thats just not possible. But conspiracy theories have been propagated on much much less evidence than that.

Being ex-Navy I find I can't watch shows like this one as its often the case that the base premise is too far away from what could happen in practice and I just can't get beyond that. From the comments so far it sounds like this is yet another show where that is the case.

On the beach was updated in around 2000, and the whole thing is on YouTube:

It's somewhat more realistic than Neville Shute's book, which depicts the population as taking it all rather calmly in true stiff upper lip style.

Just a heads up, part 4 is blocked in the UK.

advertisement

Back