advertisement

Hms vigil

In the 1980s, I used to work with someone from Helensborough, near Faslane.

He told me that the submariners had to stay on base for their first night ashore after a voyage. They were placed in a room which had all of the fixtures and fittings made of rubber and given free booze until they had beaten the hell out of each other before they were allowed to return to their families.

I don't know if the practice continues today.

I expect it will still exist in someone’s imagination somewhere.

I thought the acting was very good on the whole in the first two episodes, Adam James especially as the XO, he was in Dr Foster with Suranne and good in that too. Her torpedos are tremendous.

Having seen ‘A touch of Cloth’ I find it difficult to take Suranne Jones seriously in any drama, especially as a detective. I keep expecting her to refer to the boys down the station, or to tell the XO he’s forgotten what side he’s on.

My mistake, please accept my apologies to the good folk of Helensburgh although I was pleased with myself for not spelling the home of the RN as Vaseline.

Well, my newspaper has just slated it; two stars (/5), using various derogatory adjectives in the process. Review must have been by the sub editor, I guess !

PS Forgot the 'boom boom' !

Did anyone notice a fish tank in the Captains office?, don’t think that would last very long unless it was half full, which it wasn’t.

With all those evasive moves, I wondered about that too. The only thing in last nights episode that I really laughed at was when they failed to spot the supertanker creeping up on them. I can't remember the excuse they gave, but if thats the level of competence from our nuclear deterrent team, god save us all. I crossed the Atlantic on a small sail boat and we were constantly on the look out for anything that could collide with us, especially tankers. I know we had the luxury of being above the water, but our sonar wasn't as good as theirs.

I have watched both episodes now and me and "The Wife" are really enjoying this little bit of TV entertainment. As has been said it is not a doco and we need to suspend belief a bit especially around operations of submarine stuff as I am sure they are told to make a bit ridiculous in case they give away our secrets - the tanker near miss was laugh out loud silly but whatever.

Cast are decent enough but it is a bit predictable, I annoyed my wife by anticipating pretty much every scene before it played out and the troubled detective stereotype is present and correct.

When all said and done, we are hooked and will see the 6 episodes out. Hoping it does not get too silly but decent enough detective murder mystery so far.

I hope most nuclear Captains don’t think we’ve always been at war.
When you join one of the Services you appear to become institutionalised.

A nuclear submarine is the most evil device ever developed by man.

The fact that, after a message from the government in power, you can murder millions of
people because they tell you to is totally immoral.

A nuclear sub captain can launch without a message from gvt.
If BBC radio 4 goes off air for three consecutive days the commander can open his letter from the PM and follow it’s instructions.

A nuclear sub captain can launch without a message from gvt.
If BBC radio 4 goes off air for three consecutive days the commander can open his letter from the PM and follow it’s instructions.

I too like Radio 4 but for some people it would appear that if it goes off for 3 days it really is the end of the world.

Definately getting a little taste of "Edge of Darkness" in this as well. If it ends up half as good it will be brilliant.

I think the doctrine in the case of 'no R4' is the launch decision is left up to the Captain, it isn't an order more of an "have you seen On the Beach?".

So CI Amy Silva fell as she was going down the ladder, and the other policewoman fell in the struggle during the burglary in her flat – that’s two falls and a sub mission so far – I’m expecting Giant Haystacks to make an appearance in episode 3!

advertisement

Back