advertisement

Hms vigil

Being ex-Navy I find I can't watch shows like this one as its often the case that the base premise is too far away from what could happen in practice and I just can't get beyond that. From the comments so far it sounds like this is yet another show where that is the case.
Most definitely !

It's just a who-dunnit...

Just finished watching 'On The Beach'. I was welling up at the end, and just as they clinked glasses, I got hit with a Pelaton advert... I might watch 'Threads' now to cheer myself up.

Being ex-Navy I find I can't watch shows like this one as its often the case that the base premise is too far away from what could happen in practice and I just can't get beyond that. From the comments so far it sounds like this is yet another show where that is the case.

Welcome to the 'club'. Its the same with police dramas for me...:rolleyes:

Mrs C tells me off for initimating anything factually inaccurate with Line of duty, for example. Oh well... gotta keep the brownie points stocked up, so I remain quiet.

Just a heads up, part 4 is blocked in the UK.
The whole lot is viewable in Swizzieland. It updates Shute's book and the Kramer film, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. It does lack the drama of Kramer's final stark view of empty Melbourne streets and the message of the Salvation Army's banner "There is still time, brother". But at least it gets rid of the endless renditions of "Waltzing Matilda"! It also uses a proper US submarine - the US Navy refused permission for one of its submarines to be used in the Kramer film, so a British boat, HMS Andrew, had to serve.

If you like murders on subs and meaning looks betwee characters then I can recommend The Investigation which is a BBC drama based on a true story from Scandinavia. Look out for the Maritime Cadaver Dogs.

I watched that a few months back. It was truly superb..and also totally lacking in melodramatic bollocks. Just a fascinating and beautifully produced 'whodunnit?'.

Summat's gettin' very fishy here; appropriate though, I s'pose.

Mike.. I love you Man.. but I'm seriously thinking of petitioning Tony to include a 'Groan' emoji..

If you want a truly authentic set with a believable story line ….. you’re gonna need a smaller boat (and a bigger budget!).

Mike.. I love you Man.. but I'm seriously thinking of petitioning Tony to include a 'Groan' emoji..

Your prerogative, Mull, as you're also a groan man.

Talking about emojis, despite the paucity of them here compared to other forums, I still don't use half of them as they never seem to be appropriate. E.g., the 'mad' emoji; does that indicate that you think the poster, or the post, is a bit crazy or that you take umbrage (i.e. you're mad/annoyed AT...). The 'er, what' one; does that simply indicate incredulity or misunderstanding?

Answers on an emoji card.

So am I .
I am waiting to see if any of the sailors on board the boat are honest.
So far they all seem bent in one way or another, even the commander.

Well I'm still watching..

I was intrigued to see that our Heroine, despite a nice flat and a DCI's salary, is only running a Rega P1.

Turns out she’s not lesbian, she’s bye, Jack…. And why not, her love interest can rugby tackle 6 foot something Russian spies.

They really had to force some plot lines in tonight’s episode, kind of getting a bit silly now.

For the second time, the crew nearly drove in to the side of a tanker. The guy who had a mental breakdown, stole a gun and threatened to shoot people, is casually strolling around checking to see if any locks have been picked. The cook is in on the plot, seemingly in return for the Russians getting her son out of jail, but everyone on the sub knows he’s being released…? If clues were iron filings, DC Siva would be a giant magnet.

Oh no, the Vigil is now dragging a long wire antenna behind it! There's no way that's not going to get snagged on something!

Yes it started getting a bit thin last week didn't it?
A bit better (but preposterous) this week. Oh well only two to go now, may as well see it out.
Why is British TV following in the footsteps of a larger well known country whereby 'everyone has a personal problem'?
Answers on a postcard please to' Points of view, BBC .........'

They really had to force some plot lines in tonight’s episode, kind of getting a bit silly now.

Yup! Hooked as I was, a finale last night would have been appropriate instead of trotting out new and unlikely events to keep some semblance of continuing interest. I'm also getting a bit fed up with her R.A.D.A. guide to facial contortions.

It really is a load of old bollocks. 15m deep in busy shipping lanes....Captain who is a fukwit, cupboard containing reactor controls secured with a 50p padlock, suicidal maniac walking around checking stuff, looks like the intern deployed the antenna ...5ft 6 skinny police woman not only rugby tackles a 6 ft 6 burley Russian FSB agent but he gives up without a struggle.....
As for the romantic reminiscences/interludes, jeez, cod or what?

advertisement

Back