advertisement

Hms vigil

hifinutt

hifinutt
Another gripping drama tonight on bbc 1 , shame they killed off Martin compston in first episode!! Well worth watch to make a change from all the depressing world news

Yeah I just watched it and I really enjoyed it. I hope it's not one of those things where episode one is really good and then it just gets silly. It was quite an opener....

I watched it despite myself..because I usually find Suranne Jones intensely annoying..with her 'Oh.. I'm just going to make this all about my eyes' thing.. But she was more restrained and not dominating the proceedings with that device.. so yes.. So far quite intriguing and entertaining.. which is all it's about really..

Another gripping drama tonight on bbc 1 , shame they killed off Martin compston in first episode!! Well worth watch to make a change from all the depressing world news
Can’t believe we won’t see more of him…. Flashbacks?

I saw bits of it whilst channel-hopping. Seemed to be the usual detective show stuff with people shouting at each other, using arcane jargon and lots of acronyms.

I knew a girl whose husband was an officer on a Trident sub ( or it might have been Polaris). I was told that no messages were exchanged with the sub over a 6 month period even if she (or her husband) had died. I find it difficult to believe there were regular reports flying to and fro, especially from a copper. And I’m pretty sure the Vigil version of the sub shouldn’t be as spacious as that, but I’m not allowed to say.
Oh and how did a sub show up on a fishing boat’s sonar, when it’s covered with acoustic tiles. But it’s a good premise for a thriller. Part 2 tonight….

yes the set designer was on R4 today prog saying that he had to make it a bit more spacious so you could see actors faces together . amazing how they built that set , becuase of course they would not be allowed anywhere near a nuclear sub

I thought it was great, really like Suranne Jones. Just to be clear, it is a drama not a documentary so some artistic license is allowed.

Brilliant. I thought, when reading the preview, 'sub, Suranne Jones, murder mystery, boring'. It was gripping despite the paucity of locations and I mentally allocated a good quarter of my monthly TV licence to last night's episode alone. I hope I'll have my money's worth by episode six. (Annoyed by looking forward to that free licence for so many years and have it whisked away so soon :mad:)

I'm sure Martin Compston will reincarnate as and when and I don't care about any idiosyncrasies of detail; it's exc. entertainment !

I knew a girl whose husband was an officer on a Trident sub ( or it might have been Polaris). I was told that no messages were exchanged with the sub over a 6 month period even if she (or her husband) had died. I find it difficult to believe there were regular reports flying to and fro, especially from a copper. And I’m pretty sure the Vigil version of the sub shouldn’t be as spacious as that, but I’m not allowed to say.
Oh and how did a sub show up on a fishing boat’s sonar, when it’s covered with acoustic tiles. But it’s a good premise for a thriller. Part 2 tonight….
My nephew is on a nuclear sub.
Messages from home are vetted and passed on to him.
He cannot reply of course.

Looking forward to watching this, but my wife is mildly claustrophobic so if they play that bit up, we may end up abandoning it part way through.

That was the fish they were after? I don't think the sub showed on the sonar.

I'm pretty sure that in the real world the primacy of the sub's mission would be paramount and understood unquestioningly by everyone... even by the civilian detective who would never be allowed onto the ship, oops boat, anyway.

But.... its fiction and am enjoying it, have always been a fan of Suranne Jones since first series of Doc Foster. And Paterson Joseph too, though I don't think he's playing it authoritative enough, though perhaps part of the plot will be that actually he's not a very good sub captain. I'm sure Martin Compston will have plenty of screen time to come in flashbacks and the trail of videos he has left behind.

Enjoying HMS Vigil but cannot help thinking there is a lot of 'artistic licence' . My wife was surprised that Martin Compston was killed off so soon in first episode, I replied to her that the makers of the programme would not of splashed out money for an actor like him without him being used further in the series; and yes we get to see flash backs of this tiny man (who for some mysterious reason he seems to always be portrayed as some sort of womaniser eg Call of Duty which my wife thinks its funny!)

Brilliant. I thought, when reading the preview, 'sub, Suranne Jones, murder mystery, boring'!
That reminds me of the following brief description of a well-known film -
"Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets and then teams up with three strangers to kill again!" - The Wizard of Oz.

I'm pretty sure that in the real world the primacy of the sub's mission would be paramount and understood unquestioningly by everyone... even by the civilian detective who would never be allowed onto the ship, oops boat, anyway.

But.... its fiction and am enjoying it, have always been a fan of Suranne Jones since first series of Doc Foster. And Paterson Joseph too, though I don't think he's playing it authoritative enough, though perhaps part of the plot will be that actually he's not a very good sub captain. I'm sure Martin Compston will have plenty of screen time to come in flashbacks and the trail of videos he has left behind.

Last year my nephew did two weeks quarantine at the sub base in Scotland before going out on manoeuvres.
Unfortunately shortly before they were due to sail the civilian contractors who brought the food provisions on board were asymptomatic covid 19 carriers.
Consequently half the crew, nephew included, came down with it, as well as all the officers, and the mission had to cancelled.
So civvies do get on the boats, if only to deliver supplies.

advertisement

Back