advertisement

Ageing. It's a Bugger....

I think I'm in the right place for a good old fashioned grumble about aging...

On Saturday gone I travelled down to Newport train station, from whence Timpy picked me up, and took me to take a look at his work audio system. Suffice it to say I was extremely impressed - especially as the main source was USB audio out into a DAC via a reclocker, and thence into an integrated amp. But I digress.

Within the last 15 years I've gone from being happy to do a 30 mile walk over 12-13 hours in the company of a walkaholic alsatian, down to being barely able to walk the next day after doing a few flights of stairs.

Sod old age, osteo and rheumatoid arthritis, and M.E.

GruntPuppy.. you are my hero.

We who have made it to an age where we suffer pain, debility, backed by the final prospect of our demise.. are entitled to complain. We are all aware.. and no doubt grateful that we have got this far. We don't see our current progress as a right.. and we do feel for all those, and all relatives/loved ones of those who did not make it this far..

But none of the above stops the pain..or makes any of this shit any easier..

At some point.. we all meet our end.. and quite how that works is yet to be learned. I suppose it is all part of the adventure of life.

"Do not go gentle into that good night
Dylan Thomas - 1914-1953
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Hope that clears it up.:)

The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long....and you have burned so very brightly (bladerunner)

The best thing you can do to ensure good health in old age.....is to chose your parents wisely (an old sage)

We who have made it to an age where we suffer pain, debility, backed by the final prospect of our demise.. are entitled to complain.

Mull, you've just justified my resembling Victor Meldrew more and more, though whereas I have the usual aches and pains, it's dealing with the increasingly frustrating hassles of life which get me down, though how long before dental and medical services become available again without major hassles is anyone's guess. Covid has exacerbated the insidious creep of bureaucratic barriers, though.

You're doing well, i always wonder where they find this seaweed, certainly doesn't fit anything harvested from beaches i've seen.

I discovered little packets of 5 leaves of seaweed in Taiwan in '99 and have occasionally had it brought over. I love it, but it is a Marmite choice, as some friend loathed it. No idea if this is beneficial or not, and I can now get it at an oriental emporium in our market. I shall investigate the Seagreen website for an alternative source.

GruntPuppy.. you are my hero.

We who have made it to an age where we suffer pain, debility, backed by the final prospect of our demise.. are entitled to complain. We are all aware.. and no doubt grateful that we have got this far. We don't see our current progress as a right.. and we do feel for all those, and all relatives/loved ones of those who did not make it this far..

But none of the above stops the pain..or makes any of this shit any easier..

At some point.. we all meet our end.. and quite how that works is yet to be learned. I suppose it is all part of the adventure of life.

"Do not go gentle into that good night
Dylan Thomas - 1914-1953
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Hope that clears it up.:)
The boss at one of my clients quotes that frequently. He is one of those determined to live forever or die in the attempt, so he (mid-50s) treats every physical activity like a sort of virility test. He has just bought this incredibly exotic S-Works carbon fibre bike and is engaged in riding vast numbers of K on it. Good for him, I say. I (74) personally am determined to grow old gracefully, or more likely ungracefully, or even better, disgracefully.

I discovered little packets of 5 leaves of seaweed in Taiwan in '99 and have occasionally had it brought over. I love it, but it is a Marmite choice, as some friend loathed it. No idea if this is beneficial or not, and I can now get it at an oriental emporium in our market. I shall investigate the Seagreen website for an alternative source.

You will not be the only one to investigate SEAGREENS website.

The SEAGREENS website is not as good as their old site: this fall was caused by the CEO trying to be 'hip'. We all get older eventually. Actually he (Simon Ranger) is a good man.

I urge every one to take time to investigate the SEAGREENS website. It contains an awful lot of info.

I have been a SEAGREENS user for a long time- and have been taking seaweed from other sources since the early 70s. Marvelous natural supplement: possibly the single best one there is. Just take some every day- either in cooked food, or sprinkled on anything, or neat, or make a tea out of it- or use your ingenuity. Personally I do not like the taste. You cannot taste it in cooked food. Best to put it in at the end. On cereal or food, in small amounts it can be mixed in and not detected.

Don't expect overnight miracles. You have to take it regularly for 6 months or so before it really kicks in with its benefits.

I have never had to go to my G.P. for anything serious in the past 30 years or so. I put this down to a large extent to seaweed. I could be wrong.

I started with kelp (Kombu). This has the intriguing characteristic of growing on the bottom of the seabed. All the worl'ds minerals silt down from the tallest mountains and eventually end up on the seabed, where they and the trace elements are absorbed by kelp. It goes into you when you eat it. It also went into my pet birds, into plants in my garden- still does. Simon (Ranger- the CEO and founder of Seagreens) advised me not to use much of it when I was putting it on a regenerating tree which my local council (Southwark)- in its wisdom- repeatedly poisons. They poisoned it again last month.

Thanks to a dose of SEAGREENS it is now growing back well. I expect Southwark to give it another poison dose next year. They have nothing better to do then constantly cut down trees, greenery and destroy natural environments. Last week they cut down all the blabkberry brambles in my area that were ready for harvesting ripe berries. Fortunately, I know my area better than the council morons so I was out at 6 a.m. this morning and yesterday morning, and got some nice, ripe blackberries for my breakfast.

That post was brought to you by SEAGREENS...

Other tree fertilizer and healthcare product combos are available (?). ;)

Seaweed is not properly described as a fertiliser. It contains a natural growth ingredient, I understand. And its wide range of minerals and trace elements are good as fertiliser- amongst many other things.

I have no connexion with SEAGREENS save as a satisfied customer. The CEO emailed me to ask permission to use one of the photos I took of the council's poisoned tree. I gave him permission. He used it in the talks he gives all over G.B. He then emailed me to say that he purchased my latest book. I pay for all my SEAGREENS seaweed.

If you don't want people to think you're selling the brand, I suggest you don't write Seagreens in uppercase at every opportunity. I've only ever seen that done (i.e. throughout) in advertising copy. Word to the wise.

seaweed is great as a beauty product. I love rubbing it all over. A bit slimy and makes a mess of the bath, so we tend to spread it on in the garden, and use a hose to clean down.

I would also add that seaweed often contains large amounts of iodine. Bear this in mind if you have thyroid disease.

I think its only kelp (kombu) that contins a lot of iodine. This is mentioned on the SEAGREENS website.

A friend from the north of Ghana, where goitre is a common disease, got it after living in London for years. She ended up hospitalised. Upon her discharge I suggested that she take seaweed as a general tonic and preventative.

She takes it by makiing a tea from it- something i could not myself stand. I dislike the taste. Her goitre has never returned. She had it removed several years ago and is now fine.

Dosage is obviously relevant and important: something that some appear to have disregarded.

Last edited:
I think its only kelp (kombu) that continas a lot of iodine. This is mentioned on the SEAGREENS website.

A friend from the north of Ghana, where goitre is a common disease, got it after lkiving in London for years. She ended up hospitalised. upon discharge I suggested that she take seaweed as a general tonic and preventative.

She takes it by makiing a tea from it- something i could not myself stand- I dislike the taste. Her goitre has never returned.
You’re wrong and your advice could be dangerous to others.

If you don't want people to think you're selling the brand, I suggest you don't write Seagreens in uppercase at every opportunity. I've only ever seen that done (i.e. throughout) in advertising copy. Word to the wise.

Thanks. I don't doubt you are right. I am over the top with enthusiasm about seaweed, generally, and SEAGREENS seaweed in particular. So...please note that I still say SEAGREENS. Perhaps the admen got the idea from reading my blurb on pfm.

that I still say SEAGREENS

Capital, my old chap. No harm at all in being zealous about something; almost to the point of evangelical, even. Grammatically, I don't have a problem with emphasis by upper case (t.b.h., I didn't notice.....) but I do get annoyed by the proliferation of random erroneous initial capitals in almost every flyer, advert or whatever nowadays. If it aint proper or a sentence starter, t'aint a capital letter. Wonder if seaweed will improve my retention of British English construction and use, or take on the elixir of youth. Either will do.

I (74) personally am determined to grow old gracefully, or more likely ungracefully, or even better, disgracefully.

I was of course only partly serious about the Dylan Thomas poem, such that as well as 'rage hard', I also consider 'gracefully surrendering the things of youth' from Max Ehrmann's 'Desiderata' to be a sensible tenet.

"Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself."

Capital, my old chap. No harm at all in being zealous about something; almost to the point of evangelical, even. Grammatically, I don't have a problem with emphasis by upper case (t.b.h., I didn't notice.....) but I do get annoyed by the proliferation of random erroneous initial capitals in almost every flyer, advert or whatever nowadays. If it aint proper or a sentence starter, t'aint a capital letter. Wonder if seaweed will improve my retention of British English construction and use, or take on the elixir of youth. Either will do.

I share your dislike of adverts. In my case, I am often revolted by them. Nowadays this is frequent, because I have started listening, habitually, to LBC. Not even Nick Abbot can obliterate my distaste for most of them.

I don't know whether seaweed will bring about what you want. However, every time I go to my G.P. (usually once every several years) I ask him to use his influence to get seaweed and another one of my favourites- garlic- available on the N.H.S., by prescription. If I ever go to him again, I shall add my latest remedy, V.S.O.P. cognac, to the list.

My G.P. usually spends half the consultation laughing. He has a long AND LOUD LAUGH. In my last consultation, I repaired the curtain in his office for him, while he waited- at his request...with the paperclips he kindly supplied.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back