advertisement

Ageing. It's a Bugger....

The boss at one of my clients quotes that frequently. He is one of those determined to live forever or die in the attempt, so he (mid-50s) treats every physical activity like a sort of virility test. He has just bought this incredibly exotic S-Works carbon fibre bike and is engaged in riding vast numbers of K on it. Good for him, I say. I (74) personally am determined to grow old gracefully, or more likely ungracefully, or even better, disgracefully.

A work colleague was WC on 10000 meters indoors when he was over 50 (they have age classes) and among the 50 best at the NY marathon (irrespective of age). He now have a heart problem because of his heavy training. I doubt he will live for ever.

My G.P. usually spends half the consultation laughing. He has a long AND LOUD LAUGH. In my last consultation, I repaired the curtain in his office for him, while he waited- at his request...with the paperclips he kindly supplied.

Amazing that the G.P. has enough spare time to indulge you.

He must love patients coming to the surgery to tell him how to do his job.

The person making the posts appears to be ignoring your assertions.
I’ve got no problem with fishies giving their subjective opinions on turntables or cables etc.
When it comes to more important issues, talking bollocks because you’ve got decent genes, has to be called out when it can harm others.
You don’t have to be a medic to remember your O level chemistry lesson where iodine was extracted from seaweed. And a quick google will warn you about iodine in thyroid disease.

Capital, my old chap. No harm at all in being zealous about something; almost to the point of evangelical, even. Grammatically, I don't have a problem with emphasis by upper case (t.b.h., I didn't notice.....) but I do get annoyed by the proliferation of random erroneous initial capitals in almost every flyer, advert or whatever nowadays. If it aint proper or a sentence starter, t'aint a capital letter. Wonder if seaweed will improve my retention of British English construction and use, or take on the elixir of youth. Either will do.
Mike, if we discount homicidal impulses among grammar enthusiasts* -no one ever died from defective grammar.

*https://medium.com/@clhmyron/ask-a-grammar-enthusiast-but-dont-call-him-a-nazi-de3cac266377

Just google it.
My friend who’s a GP told a related story of a consultation last week, where he asked his patient what he felt they should do.

Patient: ‘well, you’re the doctor’.

GP: (silently to himself) ‘yes, that’s why you phoned me’

However, every time I go to my G.P. (usually once every several years) I ask him to use his influence to get seaweed and another one of my favourites- garlic- available on the N.H.S., by prescription. If I ever go to him again,

Garlic is available at my supermarket at 25p a bulb.

Do you know how much a prescription costs?

What would stop you from advocating for folk to simply eat more garlic?

By the way - ‘Laverbread. / Bara Lawr’ on toast. Quite something.

My friend who’s a GP told a related story of a consultation last week, where he asked his patient what he felt they should do.

Patient: ‘well, you’re the doctor’.

GP: (silently to himself) ‘yes, that’s why you phoned me’
For some reason that reminded me of SJ Perelman.

Doctor: I want you to take these tablets twice a day.
Patient: Will they make me feel better?
Doctor: I am a doctor, Mr Smith, not a clairvoyant.

controlled dose - knowing how much someone needs and it getting

indeed it is - especially with cockles

I get the point about a controlled dose if treating a specific ailment with garlic.

> cockles with laverbread, not for me. bacon and onions > yes please.

I had a patient once who was Welsh, and he would sometimes bring me some Laverbread in a container to take home. I think he made it.
I love eating cockles and would rather taste the cockle on its own, with or without vinegar or similar dressing.
I have the same ‘plain’ attitude to crab, lobster, and whelks - but not mussels, those I like just plain or in a sauce (have to be de-bearded). Nice huge green-lipped mussels I shove in with the bare minimum dressing, if any.
Same with oysters, lemon juice, S&P, none of this tabasco sauce business [insert anything]

All I want is a crab now and a bit of bread and butter.
I can almost taste it.

“Pinchy would have wanted it this way :)

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this is repetition: get a blood test from the NHS - it might show deficiencies in minerals/vitamins etc; take up swimming if you can - great all-body exercise (Pilates on a reformer as a good alternative ); focused strength training is also important - muscle wastage after 50 accelerates. Then the usual - sleep, food with good levels of nutrients, fewer pints, etc.

Kirk

Good common sense. I take what you say seriously.

What do you say the life span of a human being is? I believe it is 120 years.

Few reach this, mainly because of herditary, environmental and unnatural causes. Ingestion of harmful chemicals should be taken only If absolutely necessary. Big Pharma is always keen to get GPs to fill patients full of their pills and their other products. The medical profession is at last showing signs of moving more into preventative medicine, and relying less on chemical drugs.

There are signs that more enlightened medics are combining their practices with qualified naturopaths and neuropaths.

I hope that within 50-100 years medical education will have progressed leaps and bounds and be very different from what is taught at present.

Have you read about John Hamilton? Last I read of him he was 105 years of age and working out 3 times a week at a gym with heavy weights. This, after 2 knee replacements.

Last edited:
put your hand down your pants and you might find some

I often regard you as being akin to a 1970’s popular TV character from a sitcom. Maybe not a Sitcom, but deffo 1970’s.

Not Sid James.

Can’t put my finger on it. I will get back to you.

Mike, if we discount homicidal impulses among grammar enthusiasts* -no one ever died from defective grammar.

*https://medium.com/@clhmyron/ask-a-grammar-enthusiast-but-dont-call-him-a-nazi-de3cac266377

Not even colon cancer, Dec? Realised that the author was American, but unlike spellings and pron's, I guess the grammar is much the same.

As we're into doctor jokes,

"Doctor, every time I see a fountain pen lid I become very tearful"
"How long have you had these pen-top emotions?", asked my doctor.

And in similar vein,

"Doctor, I've been bursting out with 'Delilah' and 'Green Green Grass at Home' now for many months and I can't control it, causing some embarrassment"
"Ah", said the doctor, "it sounds like that Tom Jones syndrome again" "D'you mean it's common?", I asked. " Well," replied the doc., " it's not unusual"

I went to my g.p. and after initial tests, she told me I'd have to stop masturbating. When I asked why, she said " because I'm trying to examine you"

Old ones but still a larf.

Kirk

Good common sense. I take what you say seriously.

What do you say the life span of a human being is? I believe it is 120 years.

Few reach this, mainly because of herditary, environmental and unnatural causes. Ingestion of harmful chemicals should be taken only If absolutely necessary. Big Pharma is always keen to get GPs to fill patients full of their pills and their other products. The medical profession is at last showing signs of moving more into preventative medicine, and relying less on chemical drugs.

There are signs that more enlightened medics are combining their practices with qualified naturopaths and neuropaths.

I hope that within 50-100 years medical education will have progressed leaps and bounds and be very different from what is taught at present.

Have you read about John Hamilton? Last I read of him he was 105 years of age and working out 3 times a week at a gym with heavy weights. This after 2 knee replacements.

I'm all for preventative medicine (and from a very early age). Australia's breast cancer screening programme, for example, show how successful it can be both for health outcomes, and costs. Nutrients as well. Modern food production and food choices (processed mainly) don't provide enough nutrients.

The ONS state that a third of babies born today will live to a 100. Women have a better chance of reaching a 100 than men. There's also a lot of science (and money) being thrown at longevity, particularly in the US. Not sure whether that means on average humans will live to 120 just yet but it can't be long now. Big implications for work (and savings).

The medical profession is indeed very conservative (and often highly political). AI may change that, and accelerate new, broader thinking and treatments.

Just watched a quick Youtube of John Hamilton. Quite incredible how well he looks for his age. A great advert for daily gym visits. I read the other day that as we age strength training becomes more important, especially for keeping the weight off and for keeping sharp.

Capital, my old chap. No harm at all in being zealous about something; almost to the point of evangelical, even. Grammatically, I don't have a problem with emphasis by upper case (t.b.h., I didn't notice.....) but I do get annoyed by the proliferation of random erroneous initial capitals in almost every flyer, advert or whatever nowadays. If it aint proper or a sentence starter, t'aint a capital letter. Wonder if seaweed will improve my retention of British English construction and use, or take on the elixir of youth. Either will do.

It’s kinda like a return to 18th century grammar, where every noun took a capital letter. Back then people weren’t too fussed about the spelling of words such as colour or honour, and the splitting of infinitives left them unmoved.

advertisement

Back