Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ageing. It's a Bugger....

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Mullardman, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

I joined PFM at 54 yrs old.. in 2003...

I'm now 72.

Makes you think... That time has flown over..

I was remarking on another fave site that in 12 months I've gone from being able to walk several miles.. to struggling with a mile. Also gone from generally active and strong..to feeling weak .slow etc...

I do keep trying to do stuff.. but it feels like a losing battle.

Anyone of similar age with views on this?

Clearly.. we are all going... but I'd like to stay active..

Any views from other old Gits?

zippy, Tarzan, linnfomaniac83 and 2 others like this.
  2. DimitryZ

DimitryZ pfm Member

First, don't despair. You have many years and decades ahead of you!

Second, walking a mile is excellent! Those of us with spinal stenosis and other conditions, would find it an excellent accomplishment.

Third, connect with your family and friends. You are FAR from being unable to provide in many meaningful ways to multiple people.

Chin up! Get another cartridge, I say!

coredump, askseeknock, RoA and 2 others like this.
  3. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

I’m 57.

Thanks for cheering me up on this sunny Friday morning :(

4. Monitor Gold 10

Monitor Gold 10 pfm Member

I started a Frisbee Group last year. We've members from 11-72... Daughter and Father at either end and all ages between. Frisbee is a brilliant form of Excercise... Just a thought! :)

Mullardman, Bart and TheDecameron like this.
  5. fegs

fegs pfm Member

I'm 54, the same age as when you joined PFM

Thanks for that ;)

6. Goldenmouse

Goldenmouse pfm Member

I'd be calling Dignitas.

Brian S, sean99 and Tony Lockhart like this.
  7. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I’m 54.Maybe I should leave PFM. It’s cursed!

8. Fatmarley

Fatmarley Agnostic

Aren't there some hormones or steroids you can take to make you feel young again? I was watching a YouTube video a while back about older MMA fighters that were taking something that was making them fight like younger men. IIRC it was all legal and above board but controversial. I also didn't see any mention of it not being safe to take either.

9. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

I was 54 once. Not recently though.

10. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Shame

11. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

One of my workmates suffered a stroke about five years ago. He was in his mid-30s. Then a couple of weeks ago, against drs orders, he was on his Peloton bike and had a heart attack. He died twice. Has a young kiddie, a demanding wife, and what sounds like a defibrillator permanently fitted.

He’s 41.

linnfomaniac83 and hifinutt like this.
  12. slavedata

slavedata pfm Member

I would strongly recommend Pilates. For years now I have been going once a week to a 1 hour class. It first off cured my chronic back problems acquired during the years when I was driving 35 to 45K miles per annum. During the lockdown the class stopped and recently the back issues started to come back. So 3 weeks ago I started with the same teacher using Zoom. Quite painful to start with but already improving. I was shocked how weak my left side had got compared to the dominant right - I'm right handed. Its a clear case of use it or lose it and a structured workout balanced across the body is well worthwhile.

13. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

It's weird, in my mind you lot are all about 50 and I'm in my late-30s. I'm actually 48 so it's no surprise that some of you are... are age-appropriate wiser ;)

I wonder if there's a phenomenon called 'forum age' whereby the age you join a forum is the 'virtual age' at which you remain on that forum till death do you part. I joined in September 2012 so I'm virtually only 39 years old - result!

-alan-, OldSkool, robs and 3 others like this.
  14. canonman

canonman pfm Member

Fully booked

15. davcoll

davcoll pfm Member

Good Morning from sunny France.

I joined PFM Jan 12 2004.

I realised over the last few years how much body strength I was losing when moving 1 metre long logs and cutting them in half. Then last year I developed a carpel tunnel problem. While seeing the surgeon for said problem he said ok just an ECG then next week we will operate. After the ECG I was trundled down the corridor to see another Doc. Chatting after further tests he said well you have had a heart attack in the last year!!!

A few weeks later after 4 stents and being informed that part of my heart was knackered here I am still plodding on.

My life was pretty full, dog walking and photography, now I can barely pick up my camera and 500mm lens (bird photography), waiting to come off blood thinners, so I can have my carpel tunnel op. I am 78 by the way.

Dave.

P.S No grammar police please English grammar is not my strongest point.

Darren L, Mullardman, tqineil and 4 others like this.
  16. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

You could follow the example of Prince Siddhartha

(I’m not being entirely frivolous. I really believe that there is no other “solution”)

Frizzy and paulfromcamden like this.
  17. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

No need for the grammar police.

What an interesting story.

hifinutt and Peter McDermott like this.
  18. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Is there a waiting list?

19. herb

herb music live

I am 72 as well. I used to walk for miles but the journey of 3 miles each way to get my jab ended with a few days of serious muscle pains. Light exercise only is possible. I have a few age related illnesses, nothing too serious.

I can do gardening for short periods only. The big news this month was to buy a self propelled electric grass mower. Otherwise I was going to pay for a gardener. Despite being a petrol head I gave up driving a few year ago, lack of trusting my thought processes in fast cars.

Fortunately my collections of philosophy books and CDs keep me very occupied and fulfilled.

windhoek likes this.
  20. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.

I was 57 when I joined pfm, now 71. Yes Mull, getting old can be a real p*sser, and the speed at which time passes appears to increase at a scary rate. Bits wear out, other bits hurt, but I've learned to mostly accept this and carry on as though these things will get better eventually and think about the things I enjoy, even though some of these are becoming harder or just impossible to do.

I've just renewed my passport (now a pathetic little black booklet) for probably the last time. My walking boots will no doubt outlast me, as will my stereo speakers (if SWMBO doesn't put an axe through them first). I've owned sports cars since I was nineteen, and my latest will be my last. But in some ways, these things are strangely comforting, it simplifies life as you become less and less able to cope with change.

Anyway, it's a lovely day & I'm off to the garden centre. Spring is here! Might as well enjoy the few I've got left...

Dave J, darrenyeats, Ponty and 9 others like this.