advertisement

Ageing. It's a Bugger....

^ I didn't realise we revert to counting our age in half-years in old age. When does it start ?

My birthday is 5 January... so you can work out where in the calendar the half year addition starts for yourself.

It was a light-hearted question to pfm in general. No offence meant.
I used it once in a golf tournament.
We were playing in a foursome against a visiting team. All my partners are in their early to mid seventies as were the opposition.
I was introduced as the youngster in our team and when asked how old I thought it amusing to reply 68 and three quarters.

One is hereditary, one is an auto immune disease.
Your exercises are worthless for the prevention of either.
Both Sonority and myself have pointed this out to you.

I did not suggest that this is a universal preventative. It might help prevent some cases. Why do you rule it 'out of court' for all?

Are you only concerned with your own parrticular situation?

One is hereditary, one is an auto immune disease.
Your exercises are worthless for the prevention of either.
Both Sonority and myself have pointed this out to you.

Actually, there is some evidence that autoimmune conditions can respond quite positively to the reduction of stress in your life. Exercise and a good diet are two things mentioned by eguth that reduce stress in ones life and are proven to reduce inflammatory response. My father had bad RA and when he changed his diet and exercise regimen he saw a big improvement.

Whatever.
What I challenged, and your post does not deal with, is that exercise can prevent either forms of arthritis.
It can’t.

I have been a pretty regular exerciser all my life. I have still ended up with two painful arthritic knees, and a set of heart problems. Both seem to be quite common in my famiy and likely have a hereditary element to them.

Cardiologists recommend exercise for pretty much every heart condition. It's just another muscle and responds to sensible treatment. Possibly more to the point, 'colateral' arteries can develop and widen in ways that help to naturally bypass those restricted by narrowing and atherosclerosis.

In arthritis, the general advice seems to be to try to keep joints mobile. The trick is in finding out exactly how to do that. I was really struggling last week but took about three days off walking completely.. apart from getting about the house and so on. It has helped. I have just done a 30 minute walk of a bit under 3000 steps. Every step was painful.. but nort as much as previously. I was able to more more quickly and my gait was more normal..which should result in less muscle/tendon pain to follow later.
I will take two days off then try another walk...

Whatever.
What I challenged, and your post does not deal with, is that exercise can prevent either forms of arthritis.
It can’t.

You seem concerned only with your own problem. Would this be indicative of narrow- minded selfishness?

I am concerned, more generally, with things that might help others.

You seem concerned only with your own problem. Would this be indicative of narrow- minded selfishness?

I am concerned, more generally, with things that might help others.

We've all heard people interviewed on reaching 100 when asked what their secret is, they answer 'because I've always smoked 10 cigs a day, or because I always have a large whisky at bedtime, or similar.
Yet we all know that if you applied that to the whole population, many, if not most, wouldn't live past 80, let alone 100.
Your clinical trial of one is meaningless.
If you feel it's helping you, great; keep doing it.

We've all heard people interviewed on reaching 100 when asked what their secret is, they answer 'because I've always smoked 10 cigs a day, or because I always have a large whisky at bedtime, or similar.
Yet we all know that if you applied that to the whole population, many, if not most, wouldn't live past 80, let alone 100.
Your clinical trial of one is meaningless.
If you feel it's helping you, great; keep doing it.

Don't know why you call it a 'clinical trial', nor how you could sensibly regard what I said as 'meaningless'.

I haved enormous sympathy for all sufferers on this thread. I am 81 1/2.

1) about 45 years ago I started taking organic kelp (seaweed). I continue to this day. I use SEAGREENS. Seaweed is the most marvelous supplement going. It has balanced vitamins, minerals. trace elements- and much else (check it out) missing from our depleted soil- and all in a natural and easily absorbed form. Not a cure- for sure- but a marvelous supplement that could prevent many problems. And it has
NO CHEMICALS, NO PESTICIDES, NO HORMONES AND NO HARMFUL INGREDIENTS.

You're doing well, i always wonder where they find this seaweed, certainly doesn't fit anything harvested from beaches i've seen.

Could be farmed i suppose?

You're doing well, i always wonder where they find this seaweed, certainly doesn't fit anything harvested from beaches i've seen.

Could be farmed i suppose?

When I first started, some 45 years or so, I got it in tablet form from Lanes- they were a health food supplier. Don't know their seaweed provinence.

However afterwards- for years- I purchased seaweed in packets from Chinese supermarkets. Definitely dodgy stuff from the point of view of organic purity, I thought, but not much chance of my buying health food supplies at exorbitant prices.

Then more recently, SEAGREENS came on the scene. They harvested from miles offshore in Norway, and were certified organic. They then started getting it from offshore Orkney. Again certified organic. The CEO- Simon Ranger, was heavily into Biodynamics at the time. I joined as a customer and a member of the Biodynamic Association at that time.

Definitely worth checking out the SEAGREENS website.

There are now a number of new suppliers getting in on the seaweed craze. I have not looked at any of these, being a very satisfied SEAGREENS customer.

Last edited:
Your your time on this earth is written in the book, the book of telomeres or as Bruckner had it in Symphony No.8, “the unstoppable ticking clock of death”. There, that should cheer us all up…

Like to post their website here and point to the item you take?

Google SEAGREENS and many suppliers come up with different products at different price points.

It seems that you have gone to various retailers of SEAGREENS products.

SEAGREENS have their own website. You will find this after Googling. I think it is one of the first ones that come up. Website gives detailed description of products. Further questions will be answered if you contact Seagreens. I cannot directly recommend any particular one for you- but Seagreens might!

Your your time on this earth is written in the book, the book of telomeres or as Bruckner had it in Symphony No.8, “the unstoppable ticking clock of death”. There, that should cheer us all up…
Sure, but where's the manfun in that. It's our sworn mission to grumble, complain, kick, follow any small flame of hope until, somewhere between 60 and 100, out flame blows out. Being fatalistic is just much too sensible.

advertisement

Back