advertisement

Ageing. It's a Bugger....

As hard work is so taxing, would that be avoidance or evasion?

In my case, it was both.

I know Joe P has realised that his laid-back attitude actually had its roots in an undiagnosed medical condition. I don't think that's the case with me though. I used to have regular medical check-ups at work, and only one picked up anything 'unusual', which was an excess of something-or-other in my bloodstream. 'Not problematic, probably genetic' was the doctor's verdict. So I'm basically just a lazy sod.

My history teacher nicknamed me 'Lil', an abbreviation for Lazy Idle Lump. If he meant it to shame me into being less idle, he was disappointed. I wore it as a badge of pride, and went out of my way to do even less work.

I am not a medical doctor. Years ago I read about a simple exercise that might prevent the need for a hip replacement in old age.

I started this simple exercise years ago. It consists of getting down on the floor on your stomach and first stretching one leg out away from your body (spread legged) as far as it will go- stretching your toes as well. Then repeat the same with the other leg. I have done this every morning ,along with a few other morning exercises, shortly after I rise.

So far I have had no pain or discomfort whatesoever in either hip.

I am 81 and a half.

Well done on that Eguth, but..

No amount of exercise (it would have been wonderful to do that) can re-build the lost cartilage that = bone rubbing on bone for a hip replacement.
It is so debilitating.
More exercise = major pain, and I mean constant pain. No sleep. It really is not fun.
I realise there are way, way, worse things, but when something can be done to bring life back to normal.
My left hip was estimated at 97% 'gone' and after multiple corticoid injections (that is a whole new level of 'exquisite' pain) my surgeon said, why are you putting yourself through this - you should have had a new hip years ago?
I was 57.
So, I agreed, and now wonder why on earth I did not go sooner..
Now, bizarrely, my right hip, has an even greater loss of cartilage, causes very little, if any pain - yet.
I will not be waiting years for it to be sorted, that is a given.

Age related deafness is no longer part of the NHS I discovered this afternoon.
I now need a new referral to ‘Specsavers’ or Scrivens ffs.
The bill is paid for by the nhs, but I’m betting the quality of the devices goes down the pan.
Free batteries and device testing still available for now.

That may not be the case. My Mother has a new ear device from an NHS paid provider. Far far superior to the stuff she used to get, to the point now that she actually wears it and it works.

Sorry -just realised I am rather late on this thread. But the point stands nonetheless

No amount of exercise (it would have been wonderful to do that) can re-build the lost cartilage that = bone rubbing on bone for a hip replacement.

And the same goes for knees. In the last 6 months my love of walking has been on hold. It is all I can do to stand up much of the time.

I cannot wait for my appointment in Sept. to see a surgeon. I went for a walk Thurs afternoon.. just to try to get at least some exercise. I drove down to the A570, because it is basically flat.. flatness being a pretty rare commodity where I live. I parked up and the walked as briskly as I could for 15 minutes in one direction. Every step was painful. After 15 minutes I set off back to my car but.. despite all efforts.. it took me 25 minutes to reverse a 15 minute walk. By the time I got home I was almost crying with pain.
This is now day in..day out. In a little while I will have to get out of this P.C. chair. I know that it will hurt like hell. Then I'll head up to bed, using hands and feet to get up the stairs. I'll spend half of the night awake through the pain that is now in both knees... before I have to get up. Leaning on the bed just to get to the curtains.. then a pantomime as I try to get down the stairs. I'm beginning to understand hy some people who do not look ill..or overweight.. are riding around in electric buggies.

In my case, it was both.

I know Joe P has realised that his laid-back attitude actually had its roots in an undiagnosed medical condition. I don't think that's the case with me though. I used to have regular medical check-ups at work, and only one picked up anything 'unusual', which was an excess of something-or-other in my bloodstream. 'Not problematic, probably genetic' was the doctor's verdict. So I'm basically just a lazy sod.
My daughter has ME and that is part of the problem, blood checks ok and unlike a broken leg for example there is no visual problem or easy fix at the moment.

My history teacher nicknamed me 'Lil', an abbreviation for Lazy Idle Lump. If he meant it to shame me into being less idle, he was disappointed. I wore it as a badge of pride, and went out of my way to do even less work.

It’s like being one of the last members of the class to be chosen for the football team and being a back or a goal keeper. I soon learnt that you can just walk away from the aspiring Geoff Hurst hurtling towards you with a ball. They simply can’t understand why you would do that because they love football and assume everyone else must.

It’s like being one of the last members of the class to be chosen for the football team and being a back or a goal keeper. I soon learnt that you can just walk away from the aspiring Geoff Hurst hurtling towards you with a ball. They simply can’t understand why you would do that because they love football and assume everyone else must.

This from another perspective (as I don't remember any sport discrimination at school, despite my not being remotely sporty). When I started teaching secondary boys in 'Jan. '74 I couldn't go through a day without being asked dozens of times " which team do you support?" It always puzzled me because I doubt if I could have named one. This carried on for a year or two until the boys (aged 11 to 16) got fed up with just getting a blank stare.

To their minds it was inconceivable that anybody, child or adult, would not be an ardent supporter of a club. It took me ages to realise who the 'Pele' was that everybody was talking about. Eleven years later as a supply teacher, I had great trouble supervising a football match as I hadn't a clue; luckily there was always a knowledgeable lad I could back up, who liked the responsibility.

My sister has been a Canaries season ticket holder for yonks. The last game I went to was with my dad (Maidstone Athletic) when I was knee high to grasshopper. So much for genetics !!!!

As an illustration of how useless I was, I remember one ad hoc playground free-for-all a.k.a. football match in which I scored an own goal. In an instant, I decided I was playing for the other team and celebrated. No-one noticed I had switched sides.

Well done on that Eguth, but..

It is so debilitating.
More exercise = major pain, and I mean constant pain. No sleep. It really is not fun.
I realise there are way, way, worse things, but when something can be done to bring life back to normal.
My left hip was estimated at 97% 'gone' and after multiple corticoid injections (that is a whole new level of 'exquisite' pain) my surgeon said, why are you putting yourself through this - you should have had a new hip years ago?
I was 57.
So, I agreed, and now wonder why on earth I did not go sooner..
Now, bizarrely, my right hip, has an even greater loss of cartilage, causes very little, if any pain - yet.
I will not be waiting years for it to be sorted, that is a given.

I was concerned to encourage prevention. I was not suggesting that this exercise would be a cure.

I don’t imagine Ted Hughes flitted through his mind then when he fixed you with his gaze?-

Terrifying are the attent sleek thrushes on the lawn,
More coiled steel than living - a poised
Dark deadly eye, those delicate legs

No indolent procrastinations and no yawning states,
No sighs or head-scratchings. Nothing but bounce and stab
And a ravening second.

These days Lil would be quite topical, as in L’il Hutch, the North’s most celebrated rapper.

I haved enormous sympathy for all sufferers on this thread. I am 81 1/2.

I should have died about a half a century ago, the way I was living. Grossly overweight, bad diet (largely processed)- almost no exercise and- grossly ignorant.

I radically reformed. I now suffer from nothing. However, I lack 8 hours CONTINUOUS good sleep- CAUSED by BPH- an enlarged prostate- meaning every 1 1/2 hrs or so I have to go take a pee. So I then have to go back to sleep.

My radical changes included: 1) eliminating ALL junk and processed food: 2) adding no sugar to anything- occassionally small amounts of either organic raw honey, or black strop mollases, or gee; 3) brewing my own live organic Bulgarian yoghourt twice a week; 4) leaving three (3) clear days per week with no alcohol; 5) exercising three times a week using bullworker/springs/ bullworker extensions/ kettlebells/ homemade gym- with parts purchased from China.

Sounds complex I know- but surprisingly simple once you get used to it. I follow programms recommended by 'Body by Science' for two months, then switch to a different one.

I almost never have to go to see my G.P. I go to see the practice nurse every 6 months or so to have ear wax removed

I can say this routine suits me ( the supposed) aged well.

None of us can know what lies ahead. But we can take all reasonable steps to avoid unsafe, unwise or potentially harmful living.

The earlier in life we start the better. I wish I had started in my teens. This would not have prevented BPH- which prostate complaint most men end up suffering from - if they live long enough. I am one of the lucky ones not suffering from any of the numerous complaints afflicting the youngsters posting on this thread.

I very much hope that all of you suffer less!

P.S. I forgot to mention that:

1) about 45 years ago I started taking organic kelp (seaweed). I continue to this day. I use SEAGREENS. Seaweed is the most marvelous supplement going. It has balanced vitamins, minerals. trace elements- and much else (check it out) missing from our depleted soil- and all in a natural and easily absorbed form. Not a cure- for sure- but a marvelous supplement that could prevent many problems. And it has
NO CHEMICALS, NO PESTICIDES, NO HORMONES AND NO HARMFUL INGREDIENTS.

So please, please use it.

2) I also go for everything natural- e.g. shop at farmer's markets where possible.

3) I also eat (once a week or so) LIDL marvelous organic free range eggs.

4) I installed state of the art air purifying system in my flat decades ago (DAIKIN);

5) also installed, many years ago, a water purifying system.

These DO make a difference to your general health and well being.

Natural products take 6 months or so use before you notice a difference. So do not expect 'overnight' miracles.

advertisement

Back