advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
900007.jpg

Contari - Tamaioasa Romaneasca, a present from a Romanian friend. Sweetish. Grapefruit and banana, but nicely balanced with acidity. Perfect for aperitif, I think you could drink it with, e.g. smoked salmon salad or risotto of asparagus, but tonight with almonds and walnuts and dried apricots. Why not with strong blue cheese? Like it. Dirt cheap.

A sweet Romanian may have suited the Romanovs.
I'll have a Sorg Sylvaner.
If you ever see a Sorg VT go for it. Covers both bases. I have only ever had one - a 1989 Gewürz. Oh, man...

While typing that it occurred to me that I probably didn’t see any on their list the last couple of times I visited (because if there had been, I would have bought some. Wouldn’t I?) - so possibly ‘no more Bruno, no more VT...’ which would be very sad.

If you ever see a Sorg VT go for it. Covers both bases. I have only ever had one - a 1989 Gewürz. Oh, man...

While typing that it occurred to me that I probably didn’t see any on their list the last couple of times I visited (because if there had been, I would have bought some. Wouldn’t I?) - so possibly ‘no more Bruno, no more VT...’ which would be very sad.

I've had the regular Sorg Gewurtz.and it was sensational.VT that's big league stuff for exalted palates.

It’s warm enough for an aperitif outside tonight, so I thought I’d go for a double bill of Loire - white now, red later. I’ve started with 2010 Domaine des Forges Coteaux du Layon Chaume ‘Les Onnis’. Look at that colour... it tastes just as wonderful, I can assure you. Going down nicely with Mingus on TSF Jazz.

51211762694_8e52ccb14a.jpg

^ not too sweet ? What was the Loire red ?
Idyllic setting and a very clean outside table!
Definitely not too sweet. Sweet certainly, but still with the Chenin edge lurking faintly at the back. The picture was carefully framed to give only a blurry view of the rather neglected Marchbanks Park, but yes, I have managed to find an excellent Patio Steward who keeps the table spotless for me. The red Loire was the Joguet Silènes 2017 that I wrote about here. It has indeed developed nicely since that bottle, as I hoped. Good Lord - you were tubby a year ago, the new slimline me says smugly.

Later: as the weather is getting warm enough for evening drinking outside (at least if you put a jumper on) I thought I’d raise a glass to all Christmas Winers. Here’s to an alfresco-friendly summer. Cheers! And I’ve just had a thought - how about a similar shot from everyone else?

51214533805_4075f68932.jpg

Last edited:
900007.jpg

Contari - Tamaioasa Romaneasca, a present from a Romanian friend. Sweetish. Grapefruit and banana, but nicely balanced with acidity. Perfect for aperitif, I think you could drink it with, e.g. smoked salmon salad or risotto of asparagus, but tonight with almonds and walnuts and dried apricots. Why not with strong blue cheese? Like it. Dirt cheap.

Some guy ,retired wine merchant no less raving about this on Aldi
https://www.aldi.co.uk/dealuri-romanian-feteasca-regala/p/709961473491200
I see they're now charging delivery.

Dealuri Romanian Feteasca Regala (£4.99)

Suitable bottle now chosen for my 65th (eight weeks and counting.)

Looking at the only review that has been submitted so far, I think I ought to have a Plan B in place.

Despite (I’m being polite here) mixed reviews on the Wine Soc site, the only one to date on CT is positive... I’m trying to stay that way myself.

31 May 2021 - “Looks like this has been recorked at the chateau? Colour is definite brick red with a clear rim. Nose initially was barnyard for sure - initially merde but later more well rotted straw. Definite baroloesque VA developed over time. Delicate palate - fruit still there - initially quite firm tannin but then evolved into a stewed fruit soft tannin vibe.Tasting blind I would probably say Barolo. Great wine for its vintage - 1971 WTF!”

So, drinking some Sorg gerwurtz this evening, with the taste of Contari Tamaioasa Romaneasca in my mind still, and I think it's not obvious which is "the winner", they're similar and they're different -- the Romanian wine is more intense, sweeter but well balanced by acidity, the French wine like a glass of flowers. Both perfectly drinkable, I have a tendency to prefer the Contari I think, just out of a wish to support the underdog . . .

I suppose it comes down to mood, and accompanying dish. I find it quite useful to mark wines on the basis of interesting/enjoyable. There are wines that I find fascinating, but wouldn't want to drink much of. A lot of viognier (and indeed, Gewurztraminer) can fall into that loose category. I had on oldish (2016) NZ viognier recently that I thought would probably be awful, but it just got better and better, across 3 days.

Jancis phoned me out of the blue yesterday. I was briefly elevated into the company of the gods.

51232352093_b1481e8cbe.jpg

Alain Brumont is one of my favourite winemakers. Against my better judgment, as he appears to be a lot of things I distrust - focussed, driven and determined to continually expand his portfolio of wines and drive his brand further and higher. His website is named after him, not his wine - and it gives me the creeps. Lots of glossy pictures of beautifully lit interiors, an impressive company logo and an invitation to hold your corporate event on his premises. I suspect he and I wouldn’t hit it off, even in the unlikely event of him deigning to meet me.

But his wines are wonderful. Perhaps not for the faint-hearted (read: more sophisticated) but I love Chateau Montus, and this Bouscassé isn’t that far behind. The Tannat here is tempered a little with Cabernets S and F, the whole exhibiting the blackcurrant promised on the label and going down well in the night-time chill.

Tonight this is being paired with lots of Bill Frisell (Gone, Just Like a Train and East/West so far) and also the Towers’ resident blackbird giving me the benefit of his opinions, as he does for half an hour every night from his favoured perch at the top of the Olde Oake Tree.

51232915799_f7b7aa7b3a.jpg

Last edited:
51232352093_b1481e8cbe.jpg

Alain Brumont is one of my favourite winemakers. Against my better judgment, as he appears to be a lot of things I distrust - focussed, driven and determined to continually expand his portfolio of wines and drive his brand further and higher. His website is named after him, not his wine - and it gives me the creeps. Lots of glossy pictures of beautifully lit interiors, an impressive company logo and an invitation to hold your corporate event on his premises. I suspect he and I wouldn’t hit it off, even in the unlikely event of him deigning to meet me.

But his wines are wonderful. Perhaps not for the faint-hearted (read: more sophisticated) but I love Chateau Montus, and this Bouscassé isn’t that far behind. The Tannat here is tempered a little with Cabernets S and F, the whole exhibiting the blackcurrant promised on the label and going down well in the night-time chill.

Tonight this is being paired with lots of Bill Frisell (Gone, Just Like a Train and East/West so far) and also the Towers’ resident blackbird, giving me the benefit of his opinions as he does for half an hour every night, from his favoured perch at the top of the Olde Oake Tree.

51232915799_f7b7aa7b3a.jpg

Boucasse' Tannat 2016 recently arrived here. I'll try not to be influenced by blackbird- or bye,bye blackbird, as it goes in.

Boucasse' Tannat 2016 recently arrived here. I'll try not to be influenced by blackbird- or bye,bye blackbird, as it goes in.
He is in particularly good voice tonight. Perhaps he's scat singing along to the Mingus that FIP is serving up?

51235375080_8cf1e2a64f.jpg

Tonight’s bottle, 2016 Brazin Old Vine Zinfandel, didn’t do a lot for me I’m afraid. I thought it tasted like a rather over-oaked wine with most of the wine taken out. I’m not fond of that style, but of course that’s my problem. If it’s the sort of thing that appeals to you this bottle cost me £11.25 in one of the Waitrose 25% promos last year.

51233818457_39670afe9e_z.jpg

Last edited:
@John Phillips Thank you for posting this. I have't yet tracked down any Anna, but will definitely keep an eye out for some. Pleased you enjoyed it!
FYI I picked up my Ch. Musar Aana 2016 from John Lewis in Bluewater, Kent. And FYI I opened my last bottle of Ch. Musar 2001 a couple of days ago:
  • The damson fruit notes of Ch. Musar were more muted than the vivid notes of Aana.
  • The damson tart flavour of Ch. Musar was more toasty - damson tart with some time under the grill after the oven.
  • The Ch. Musar had additional earthy notes with other complexities (absent in the Aana) and had a less vivid but ultimately well balanced and longer finish than the Aana.
  • The Ch. Musar was somewhat brown tinged in colour (with a small amount of medium-grain non-crystalline sediment) compared to the vivid deep colour of Aana.
  • The Ch. Musar was ready to drink much more quickly after opening (1 hour vs. 2+ hours) and was more fragrant.
I enjoyed the Musar 2001 more but I wouldn't turn down the Aana as a different experience with quite a few resemblances. The Musar 2001 clearly had age and somewhat more than I remember from opening a bottle last Christmas (2020). But it had aged very nicely for my taste. The Aana was broadly a similar experience but a much younger version.

I haven't yet tasted later vintage Ch. Musar than 2001 but I have acquired a few bottles of the 2012 to try in future. And I recently found some Ch. Musar Levantine 2019 in a local M&S so I couldn't resist having one in waiting to try out soon.

This Musar 2001 cork partly crumbled and remained in the neck when pulled with my standard corkscrew. It came out cleanly with my vintage flat-bladed one; the base of the cork was intact and no fragments fell into the wine. No problem in practice.

Ch Musar corks are - IME - a liability. I’m surprised the Ch was ready to drink faster than the Anna. 24hr -48hr decant times have been mentioned before, especially for older vintages. Might dig some out tonight.

We indulged yesterday… I’m not much of a Bordeaux drinker, but this was very, very nice indeed. Rich and complex, all the flavours and descriptors were there; a pleasure to drink.
But the style is not my go-to. I had a choice of ‘96 Vega Sicila Único or this, and opted for this because, well, the itch needed scratching, and with an either/or choice, why wouldn’t you? I might re-raid stores for the VS next week.

color-Space-k-CGColor-Space-Display-P3-camera-Type-Wide-macro-Enabled-true-quality-Mode-2-device-Til.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back