advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
We indulged yesterday… I’m not much of a Bordeaux drinker, but this was very, very nice indeed. Rich and complex, all the flavours and descriptors were there; a pleasure to drink.
But the style is not my go-to. I had a choice of ‘96 Vega Sicila Único or this, and opted for this because, well, the itch needed scratching, and with an either/or choice, why wouldn’t you? I might re-raid stores for the VS next week.

color-Space-k-CGColor-Space-Display-P3-camera-Type-Wide-macro-Enabled-true-quality-Mode-2-device-Til.jpg
I think the phrase people use is ‘you have just won the internet!’

Ch Musar corks are - IME - a liability. I’m surprised the Ch was ready to drink faster than the Anna. 24hr -48hr decant times have been mentioned before, especially for older vintages. Might dig some out tonight.

We indulged yesterday… I’m not much of a Bordeaux drinker, but this was very, very nice indeed. Rich and complex, all the flavours and descriptors were there; a pleasure to drink.
But the style is not my go-to. I had a choice of ‘96 Vega Sicila Único or this, and opted for this because, well, the itch needed scratching, and with an either/or choice, why wouldn’t you? I might re-raid stores for the VS next week.

color-Space-k-CGColor-Space-Display-P3-camera-Type-Wide-macro-Enabled-true-quality-Mode-2-device-Til.jpg

What did you eat with that?

Ch Musar corks are - IME - a liability. I’m surprised the Ch was ready to drink faster than the Anna. 24hr -48hr decant times have been mentioned before, especially for older vintages. Might dig some out tonight. ...
I wonder if the cork from this recent sample was less intact than I thought.

I left half of this recent bottle overnight and it did not improve. In fact I noted that the delicious fragrance had decreased. Although not by much, it was better the evening it was opened.

And looking back at my tasting note from December 2020 the Musar 2001 then was much more closed in. It was not the best companion to a fairly flavoursome duck. Comparing that note to the recent Aana 2016 I would have taken the Aana 2016.

Change of pace this evening. Sitting outside with the firepit going, listening to the birds winding down for the night.

Enjoying this:
5-EBB81-EC-1-E54-4-FBE-9-B44-577-CC54-BEA8-E.jpg

Not too sweet, quite gentle on the acidity. Going well with cheese, smoked salmon, olives, ham…

Snap, kind of. Joguet Chinon Rosé, kedge and Vivian on the speakers (an alfresco summer tradition here - and the 50th anniversary of the shows this year!). Port Salut and Camembert to follow. No choccy cake, sadly. Anyone who thinks rosé is wimpy should try this.

51242772723_860d71e03b_z.jpg

Tonight’s bottle, 2016 Brazin Old Vine Zinfandel, didn’t do a lot for me I’m afraid. I thought it tasted like a rather over-oaked wine with most of the wine taken out. I’m not fond of that style, but of course that’s my problem. If it’s the sort of thing that appeals to you this bottle cost me £11.25 in one of the Waitrose 25% promos last year.

51233818457_39670afe9e_z.jpg

My introduction to Brazin was on BA some 7-10 years ago: it was one of the selections in first class from Miami back to London. We were on the ground when I was looking at the menu, so googled the wine. I was a little surprised to see it was roughly £10 a bottle from the wine society and Waitrose at the time, because it was paired with other, more expensive wines, and the ubiquitous (if you’re unfortunate to spend that much time with BA) Laurent Perrier Grand Siècle. It was good with the meal at 37k feet, so not complaining, but it was an interesting insight to BA’s approach to wine.

IMG-0150.jpg

Domaine de la Chevalerie, Diptyque, Bourgueil 2017.

This is very very good cherry juice. That's not what I like unfortunately.

IMG-0150.jpg

Domaine de la Chevalerie, Diptyque, Bourgueil 2017.

This is very very good cherry juice. That's not what I like unfortunately.
That’s a shame. Some Loire CFs can be thin IME, but cherry juice isn’t something I’ve encountered. I was rather taken with the last Bourgueil I tried. It tasted quite right-banky to me.

My introduction to Brazin was on BA some 7-10 years ago: it was one of the selections in first class from Miami back to London. We were on the ground when I was looking at the menu, so googled the wine. I was a little surprised to see it was roughly £10 a bottle from the wine society and Waitrose at the time, because it was paired with other, more expensive wines, and the ubiquitous (if you’re unfortunate to spend that much time with BA) Laurent Perrier Grand Siècle. It was good with the meal at 37k feet, so not complaining, but it was an interesting insight to BA’s approach to wine.
I understand the priority when choosing wines to serve at altitude, is how they taste/work with food at cabin altitudes of c7-8000’. That changes the flavour profile quite dramatically, I understand, so conventional price/performance metrics may not apply. Not sure a vintage Bordeaux would be quite the same thing at altitude.

That’s a shame. Some Loire CFs can be thin IME, but cherry juice isn’t something I’ve encountered. I was rather taken with the last Bourgueil I tried. It tasted quite right-banky to me.

Thick cherry juice. I'm not sure what to do with the remainder in the bottle. Somehow the idea of drinking it doesn't fill me with relish.

51248919112_f1ed3a6d95_z.jpg

I bought half a dozen of these on special offer at Waitrose in December 2019 at £7.50/bottle. This was the third - they’ve got steadily better and the purchase price now seems very low. Looking forward to the remaining three. Highly recommended if you see them at a similar price and can squirrel them away for a year or two.

Edit: I think the offer price may have been £10 and the price I paid was a result of using Waitrose Card vouchers as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back