advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to current public statements by those seeking election, I don’t agree. And either way, immediate suspension pending investigation is the only way to respond, both in terms of how such things should be dealt with, and in terms of the political realities of the situation.

But again, that’s distracting from the much more important political issue of the government’s choice of action. So much so that I’ll duck out there so as not to do so further.

It's 'interesting' how much white media attention there is to all this, there is nothing at all that I can see being reported from those on the receiving end of the home office brutality. Have they been calling for his suspension? I very much doubt it...

tim_toon2754.jpg

I disagree. That kind of talk should have no place in politics. What if it had come from an equivalently placed right-winger, and was directed at, say, Sadiq Khan? Notwithstanding the fact that it'd be reported differently, I believe many who are saying the response to Beckett's tweet is factional or an overreaction would be calling for just the same kind of response.

Regardless, however, observe how effective it's been in sucking both Labour's opponents and its insiders into going on - again - about Labour instead of the calculated, borderline fascistic actions by the government.

That puts Labour in the position not simply of failing to be an effective opposition, but of actively shielding the government as it openly and publicly manifests the very worst of its tendencies.
Had it been a right-winger they wouldn't have immediately apologised: they'd have doubled down, the press would have rallied around, and we'd have another round of culture war.

Stupid slip, deleted and apologised for. Zero justification for suspension, and for the leadership to impose the suspension, following the EHRC report, is a big f*** you to anyone who cares about rules and norms. And coming a week after Mandelson announcing a war on left wing unions it really couldn't be plainer what's going on here.

We've really got to get our priorities right. On the one hand we have a solid left wing leader making a stupid slip, on the other hand the rabid right of the Labour Party instrumentalising racism and defending the avowedly racist Home Office. The left is weak. If we crap ourselves and throw the game every time someone says something embarrassing then we're asking to get ground out of existence.

Indeed..
Tories: "This matter is closed"
Labour " We have suspended/expelled/summarily executed the guilty party without trial and will now spend 6 months soul searching and holding enquiries".

Which approach works? Hmmmmm.. hard one.

Which approach works? Hmmmmm.. hard one.

Left and right are not equal. The Tories thrive on grift and racism, it is just what they do. The progressive left, which Labour can on occasion see on the distant horizon, is quite the opposite. As such gammon trigger-words such as ‘deport’ used to attack BAME folk is utterly unacceptable. I would expect such language from Farage, Johnson and other alt-right agitators, but no way in hell would anyone like Caroline Lucas, Layla Moran etc ever make such a fundamentally and so obviously offensive statement. Let alone actually take the time and effort to compose it on Twitter. Social media allows thinking time that real life doesn’t. Hit the ‘post reply’ button and you absolutely own it. If I understand this correctly this is the leader of theUnite union too, so a £150k+ a year plus expenses job. Zero excuses for not thinking before you post on that money IMHO.

The real reason for Beckett’s suspension is to get him off the Ruling Council before some important upcoming votes on flags and using words like ‘woke’ more often. It was going to be a tight call. So I’ve heard.

The real reason for Beckett’s suspension is to get him off the Ruling Council before some important upcoming votes on flags and using words like ‘woke’ more often. It was going to be a tight call. So I’ve heard.

May well be true, Labour’s internal factions are what they are, so even more crazy to present such a blindingly obvious excuse to bin him.

Ken Loach has written a letter to David Evans.

Dear General Secretary,

Bath CLP and the Regional Office

I am an ordinary member of Bath Labour Party. I attend most CLP and ward meetings. The events of recent months are unlike anything I have witnessed during many years in the Labour Party and in my trade union.

Bath CLP has a properly constituted Executive Committee and officers elected in accordance with party rules. The CLP has been subject to a hostile campaign from the regional officers of non-co- operation, harassment and intimidation that has made it impossible to maintain our premises safely or to pursue important political work, to the detriment of the party locally and nationally.

The most egregious examples of this destructive behaviour are as follows:

1. Suspension of the AGM by the regional officers. This paralysed all activity and prevented our carrying out essential safety work to the offices, some of which was required by law. No reason was given. We were told our AGM would be held in February. We are still waiting. No explanation or apology.

2. A Special General Meeting was scheduled by the CLP’s Executive Committee on 15th March to pass an emergency budget to deal with statutory obligations. On the day of the meeting, an instruction from the regional officers was received to say that the only decision the meeting could take was to provide funds for the mayoral election. The budget itself could not be passed.

This is plainly unacceptable. It would be irresponsible to allocate funds without an overall budget.

The reasons given for the cancellation refer darkly to “considerable correspondence... expressing strong concerns from other members.” This is not good enough. What concerns? Meetings have been held in an open and tolerant manner, even in the difficult conditions of the pandemic. No one has been prevented from speaking. The limits on what can be discussed have come from the regional officers. Can you imagine an NEC meeting being cancelled on such flimsy grounds?

The above quotation suggests some CLP members are colluding with regional officers to disrupt the activities of the entire CLP. As an ordinary member, I want to know who is doing this, on what grounds, and why do they have this privileged access?

3. There is little or no communication from the regional officers to the Executive Committee or its officers. There is no assistance, support or any help whatsoever. Emails are not answered. No explanations, just occasional diktats.

4. Motions for CLP meetings have been ruled out of order by regional officers with either inadequate or no reasons given. The content of these motions would always have been the common currency of party debate. One motion that was accepted noted Orwell’s contribution to our understanding of political struggle and the obstacles placed in the way of serious change. The irony presumably escaped the regional officers.

5. At the time of writing, the Executive Committee has been prevented from communicating with party members. Regional officers have cut the link to ‘Organise’, the Labour Party’s computer facility for this purpose. Again, no discussion and no consultation. What is the authority for this intentional disruption?

General points

In any competently managed organisation, this ludicrous behaviour would not have been allowed to continue. The inefficiency of the Labour Party is nothing new, it has regularly failed its members. but these actions suggest a conscious attempt to destroy a CLP leadership that was functioning well, carefully following rules, with a positive determination to attack the local Tory and Liberal establishment.

I have watched good people coming into politics with enthusiasm and commitment, worn down and broken by this malicious undermining of their work. Their time and energy, freely given, was wasted. Among members generally, there are feelings of disillusion and cynicism towards the party, both locally and nationally. If this is how we are treated, why bother? The Labour Party is seen as a useless, self-serving clique, a waste of time for those who really want to make a difference.

But some of us with a long experience of the party know what is happening. Regional officers could not behave in this way without approval from the top. There is a clear determination to drive out anyone who showed support for Corbyn and McDonnell’s programme of radical change. We know of other CLPs in our situation, unable to function, reduced to chaos because of bureaucratic intervention. How many have left the party, 60,000? If it’s not 70,000 yet, it soon will be. Imagine the outcry if Labour had lost so many members under Corbyn’s leadership.

The aim of the current leaders would seem to be to have a small, tightly disciplined party, with few troublesome activists, where policy is endorsed by a docile conference — standing ovations and little discussion. Leaders are then not accountable to members, but speak to the voters directly through a media that welcomes a Labour Party that will make no substantial changes to the established order.

This may be your party, David Evans and Keir Starmer, it is not ours.

Ken Loach, 30th April 2021

It's amazing how educated people continue to be so naive after the evidence of the AS debacle.

Nobody’s talking about a National ID card, the points being discussed are around voter ID. On voter ID, what is Sir Kier Starmer’s view?
A national ID card is what it is about, there won’t be a voter ID card.

Why on earth are you asking me Starmer’s view on it? That’s of no interest to me, I’m sure it’s of interest to you.

A national ID card is what it is about, there won’t be a voter ID card.

No, it isn’t. It is about providing photo-ID (driving license, passport, corporate ID etc) in order to vote. Johnson’s Conservative Party are on the libertarian fringes of the right-wing, no way will they ever push for an enforced state ID. This is all about disenfranchisement of various minorities, it is not authoritarianism.

Why on earth are you asking me Starmer’s view on it? That’s of no interest to me, I’m sure it’s of interest to you.

I just thought you were a supporter of the move to the right under Starmer. Huge apologies if I’m wrong

Heartening to see that Unite are paying £1.3 million to cover Anna Turley's legal costs in a libel case they lost. A wise use of the union's money.

A bit ironic that the left-wing are upset about one of their own being (potentially) 'cancelled'.
It’s a fair point, not withstanding the fact that in this case we’re talking about an actual act of censure, rather than being called a horrible old roaster on Twitter, which is what provokes most right wing claims to have been cancelled.

Social media allows thinking time that real life doesn’t. Hit the ‘post reply’ button and you absolutely own it. If I understand this correctly this is the leader of theUnite union too, so a £150k+ a year plus expenses job. Zero excuses for not thinking before you post on that money IMHO.

Plus Twitter was Donald Trump's favoured method of spouting shite, which says plenty.

How many times do we read that 'he/she immediately deleted the tweet in question, and apologised unreservedly'? Don't post it in the first place then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back