advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only we could have voted on PR rather than AV though.

I agree. The Lib Dems blew it.

Stephen
The Lib-Dems blew everything. I voted for them, but never again, they just rolled over for a taste of power, IMO. Mind you, if Labour had been prepared to go into coalition with them we might not be where we are today, politically.

Quite interesting that, according to How to vaccinate the world (essential listening IMHO), the EU approached the vaccine production in its normal way, tendering and using it's economic clout to lower costs while the UK just basically bought everything they could get their hands on whatever the price and no tenders required.

Which is basically what the Johnson's Government do. Seems to have worked in this case.

Also interestingly after all the complaining and jeering from Brexiteers about the EU threatening export controls on vaccines, the UK has been doing just that on PPE from the start of the pandemic.

Stephen

Tut tut, Expect that enlightening point to be ignored by Brexiteers. Still the search goes on unless Brexiteers want to claim overpaying for vaccines and everything else is a Brexit positive?

I suspect after all the shouting about this vaccines will freely be available for all by June but unfortunately we will be on our way to the next stage of the pandemic and new vaccines will be needed to deal with the mutations that Lady Dido of Mustique was unaware of. Meanwhile in Ireland we will still be discussing why we can't introduce quarantine arrangements for travellers coming into Ireland :rolleyes:

Tut tut, Expect that enlightening point to be ignored by Brexiteers. Still the search goes on unless Brexiteers want to claim overpaying for vaccines and everything else is a Brexit positive?

I suspect after all the shouting about this vaccines will freely be available for all by June but unfortunately we will be on our way to the next stage of the pandemic and new vaccines will be needed to deal with the mutations that Lady Dido of Mustique was unaware of. Meanwhile in Ireland we will still be discussing why we can't introduce quarantine arrangements for travellers coming into Ireland :rolleyes:
I don't think even the rejoiners are too concerned about the cost of vaccine, that will maybe come when covid is sorted. Boris backed every horse in the race and even that may prove a winner, if some vaccines work better than others, if the virus changes.

To be fair, we bought much more than we need, so we should be able to shift them on at a tidy profit

In fact, it might be in the UK interests to let the virus spread. Or at least that's what it looks like

To be fair, we bought much more than we need, so we should be able to shift them on at a tidy profit

In fact, it might be in the UK interests to let the virus spread. Or at least that's what it looks like
With hindsight you are correct, but when the deals were on offer, as the French have recently found out, it was not certain which vaccines would work. Even now we cannot be certain which vaccines will work in the future.

I wonder what fraction of a weekly red bus EU subsidy this cost Boris. Investment in the UK instead of Germany:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...any-uk-bournville-dairy-milk-plant-uk-economy
https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/05/cadb...f-dairy-milk-back-to-uk-from-europe-14026912/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-55938419
A little more good news such as this Stephen and you will see the light.

I wonder what fraction of a weekly red bus EU subsidy this cost Boris. Investment in the UK instead of Germany:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...any-uk-bournville-dairy-milk-plant-uk-economy
https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/05/cadb...f-dairy-milk-back-to-uk-from-europe-14026912/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-55938419
A little more good news such as this Stephen and you will see the light.
Mondelez? Sounds like a johnny foreigner outfit to me - can't believe you extract any positives from this, Barren. Foreigners over here? WTF did we vote for?

It may well be their only option of being anywhere near power. They have clearly lost Scotland. That block vote is long gone. They have also lost many of the right of their party to the Tories and whatever rose-tinted nationalist shit Farage burps up next election, plus they’ve lost many on the left to the Greens and Lib Dems thanks to consistently voting for right-wing authoritarianism, hard Tory Brexit bullcrap etc. They just aren’t in a position to win a majority these days. The market has changed and they are just floundering around with nothing to sell.
Not according to the polls.

If only we could have voted on PR rather than AV though.

I agree. The Lib Dems blew it.

Stephen
It’s not a surprise how when the topic of PR comes up in the real world, those who benefit from FPTP claim we had a referendum on PR when we did,not.

Meanwhile frog faced fascist seeks trousering opportunities from the cash of of the worried faithful. Nigel proposes helping you by helping himself,

any satisfied users wishing to share?
That’s an ugly obsession you have with Farage.

The Lib-Dems blew everything. I voted for them, but never again, they just rolled over for a taste of power, IMO. Mind you, if Labour had been prepared to go into coalition with them we might not be where we are today, politically.
I believe it was the LibDems who would not consider a coalition with Labour, confirming their right wing tendencies.

Quite interesting that, according to How to vaccinate the world (essential listening IMHO), the EU approached the vaccine production in its normal way, tendering and using it's economic clout to lower costs while the UK just basically bought everything they could get their hands on whatever the price and no tenders required.

I applaud the ethos of the EU approach, but given the economic devastation that COVID has wrought it was the wrong time in history to be negotiating on price, when the saving is maybe only $10 per person. Of course it would have been very helpful had Trump not been in the Whitehouse and the EU, UK and US could collectively have negotiated a fair price with Pfizer and Moderna.

I applaud the ethos of the EU approach, but given the economic devastation that COVID has wrought it was the wrong time in history to be negotiating on price, when the saving is maybe only $10 per person. Of course it would have been very helpful had Trump not been in the Whitehouse and the EU, UK and US could collectively have negotiated a fair price with Pfizer and Moderna.
Ursula said ''I'm aware that a country might be a speedboat and the EU more of a tanker'', ''But this is the strength of the EU''.
This is sounding more like the Titanic and lifeboats to me.

Reactions: bob
If you read the BBC article you linked to you’ll see there are no new jobs.
Contrast with the advice given to British exporters to set up offices inside the EU- providing employment for EU workers.

“UK firms that export to the EU say they are being encouraged by the government to set up subsidiaries in the bloc to avoid disruption under new trade rules”.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55786974

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back