advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you talking about your business alone, or the situation in general?
Our business. Our situation has bene accurately reported by recent media stories. Yes we had a nightmare, parcels were getting sent back by customs departments even though we did as they asked us, customers were going nuts. we lost a bit of money.

But it has settled down incredibly fast. So I expect export figures to bounce back for February. Whether PFM members will discuss the bounce back rationally is another issue.

FT article: The UK companies seeing the upside of Brexit
https://www.ft.com/content/6d86951c-a4af-4d0b-95da-7856d4db8639

Winners cited in the article are Liverpool (because southern ports are clogged up), warehouses and jobs filling out forms.
This article is interesting to me, as it describes companies that are now reactively doing what we did as soon as the June 2016 results were announced. We had set up a small warehouse in Germany by August 2017 and have since more than tripled our business from about 300k per year to nearly a million. We expect 10% growth this year.

Change brings opportunity to those that are enterprising.

He may have something valid to say, but I'm afraid I can't get past the childish presentation

He got as far as saying "We outwitted them [EU]" and I switched off. It's not a ****ing comptetition.

Apologies if I jumped to the wrong conclusion early and he has an ironic delivery style; he just comes across as more Bellend than Belfield

So you're not passing costs on?

Good to know, as that seems a common complaint at the moment.

it’s micro companies who are struggling. They can’t afford not to pass costs on or as the Government suggest get professionals in to sort out the new admin.

The Tories used to support business didn’t they? They used to brag about it anyhow.

Honey! I shrunk the market.

Stephen

He got as far as saying "We outwitted them [EU]" and I switched off. It's not a ****ing comptetition.

Apologies if I jumped to the wrong conclusion early and he has an ironic delivery style; he just comes across as more Bellend than Belfield

No you were right and consistent with the IQ of the deliverer.

In that case you should be selling your services to the RHA. Got to be worth £1000 a day + expenses.
Not really, it was couriers and shipping agents that were running around like headless chickens, we just stopped using them after the batch of returns in the 1st week of Jan, until they sorted it, took less than 4 weeks.

This article is interesting to me, as it describes companies that are now reactively doing what we did as soon as the June 2016 results were announced. We had set up a small warehouse in Germany by August 2017 and have since more than tripled our business from about 300k per year to nearly a million. We expect 10% growth this year.

Change brings opportunity to those that are enterprising.

Great to hear your business is doing well - seems like you've worked hard to make it succeed and deserve to do well.

There will be enough turnips for everyone.

pic-03_16.jpg

Not really, it was couriers and shipping agents that were running around like headless chickens, we just stopped using them after the batch of returns in the 1st week of Jan, until they sorted it, took less than 4 weeks.
The EU 'tanker' will plod on taking lorry drivers sandwiches until this Covid money runs out and economic realities kick in with individual countries.

Which raises the question - where is Andrew Bridgen? The normally shouty, neckless root vegetable merchant hasn’t made a public appearance in a while

Our exports UK to EU dropped by nearly 100% for the month of January. So we are part of that figure. All DPD's fault. Nothing else. Our figures are back to normal so far for February now that everyone understands the paperwork

Not good news to many posting here, though.

But you operate from France/Germany Richard? AFAIK you have no UK branch or interactions? I assume if selling into the UK you discount the VAT and the buyer pays UK vat and whatever charges are applied by UK custom and excise. Do you sell much into the UK?

You are right in that I would expect the companies that are run very tightly and have products that can't be got in the UK will recover at least some if not a big portion of their sales. But not so sure with Cheshire cheese and lagoustines. It will need more that a bit of a deft hand with paperwork and hard work. It may happen if the UK start rowing back on some of the excesses but of course this is what they should have negotiated in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back