advertisement

A review of some amps on home demo: Naim v Luxman v Devialet v Vitus

I agree when you say Devialet has no sound and is shaped by the speaker. My 220 sounded ok with Harbeth but I've really hit the target since a change of speaker to Proac. I never felt my Naim system suited the Harbeths too much either.
I don't miss my multi box Naim system one bit. I now have a compact great sounding system that walks all over what went before. The 220 does everything I want, fantastic piece of kit. Like you if id taken this route sooner would have saved a load of cash.
There's also the option to monobloc if I want, but don't feel I'm missing anything with a single 220.

I've been to very few audio shows, but in about 2013 I went to one and heard the Proac K6 (I think) in a big room full of people (helping the acoustic) and I thought the sound was absolutely stunning. A big clean natural sound. Knocked the spots off PMC Fact.12 next door. Price was a bit rich for me, about £12k (same price as the PMC), but I was sorely tempted.

I've not heard of Naim/Harbeth combo's. Maybe because Harbeth punters aren't into Naim money.

Devialet is now becoming highly competitive on price, the 220 and now the 140 if your speakers aren't too hard to drive and you don't listen in a barn.

I bought a Luxman L-590AXII last year after searching for the ideal amp for my PMC Twenty 26. It’s an integrated that shares components with the M700u. I'd never even considered it until the dealer suggested giving it a go because I've always had the impression Pre/Power combo's were better (I had a lovely MFA at the time) and it's a bit old fashioned looking and rated at 30W. It's described by Luxman as a class A sound but Hi-Fi News measured it at 95W so I think it's technically AB and will drive most speakers.

Anyway, it saw off Chord Electronics, Cyrus, Bryston and Musical Fidelity. I can imagine it sounds soft with the wrong speakers but with PMC it takes the edge off the treble and has all the detail its competitors. I was put off even trying the NAP 250DR as Naim seems like an almighty faff to me unless you use other Naim components.

Hi, I would appreciate if you can let me know whether you have compared the Luxman L-590AXII to other amps. If yes, please share you thoughts on the house sound of the Luxman. I'm considering this amp at the moment.

I don't particularly like the looks of the Luxman but the reviews have been mostly positive. Apart from aesthetics which is purely subjective, the other downer is it's too big and heavy.

Hi, I would appreciate if you can let me know whether you have compared the Luxman L-590AXII to other amps. If yes, please share you thoughts on the house sound of the Luxman. I'm considering this amp at the moment.

I don't particularly like the looks of the Luxman but the reviews have been mostly positive. Apart from aesthetics which is purely subjective, the other downer is it's too big and heavy.

I would agree with @Warszawa in that the Luxman house-sound (smooth, soft and velvet) could be good if you have very forward harsh-sounding speakers that you don’t want to change.

I've not heard of Naim/Harbeth combo's. Maybe because Harbeth punters aren't into Naim money.
That is very strange because Naim and Harbeth is combined very often. I would go so far and say that it is in the top 5 of the most used electronic brands with Harbeth speakers. On FB is a big Harbeth user group where you can find post with survey(s) (is that correct ?) where people can click and write which brand they use with their Harbeth speakers. Besides Naim there is Luxman, Accuphase, McIntosh and since A.S. used it at his shows Hegel.

The background

I am writing this as when I was looking for amps I found very little written about some of these models I was investigating, so I thought other people might be interested in a subjective view and listening comparison between these models.

In 2017 I decided that my Naim system required an upgrade – the power amp was a weak link and it was buzzing, it needed a service. The system consisted of the following:
- CDS3 with XPS DR power supply
- NAC 552 DR preamp with the NAC 552 PS
- NAP 250 power amp
- B&W 804 Diamond speakers

I felt that the very old 250 needed not only servicing but upgrading too. To get the most out of the NAC 552 I felt that I really needed a NAP 300. A NAP 300 meant I would need a new rack as the 300 requires a separate power supply and I was all out of shelves. A 300 and a new rack meant a big investment. So I looked at the alternatives.

I bought a couple of hifi magazines - what a waste of time that was. Hifi mags back in the 80s and 90s were interesting things with good writing and critical reviews. Now they are simply a sales brochure for the hardware with 5* review after 5* review. Each and every review was a testament to how brilliant and faultless each product was. And no surprise to find the same companies taking out pages of expensive ads in the magazine. But hey, that’s a debate for another day.

So I did a bit of my own research and over the next few months I home-demoed 4 different manufacturer’s amps: Vitus, Luxman, Devialet and the Naim with a NAP300. I always home demo if I can as my room has some acoustic issues (a bass boom) and things can sound very different in there. My budget was the trade-in value of the Naim amps, so around £10k. The aim was also to reduce the number of boxes without compromising the sound. Could this be done? Throughout the home demos described below both the source and the speakers remained the same (NAIM CDS3 / XPS DR and B&W 804 Diamond speakers). I did also demo the Vitus RCD-101 as an alternative to the NAIM CDS3 but the two CD players interestingly sounded broadly similar. But then the CDS3 is known to be a fairly rounded sound for Naim, and certainly a world away from the grit of the Naim CDX. Anyway, I digress.

Vitus Vs Naim

Naim NAC552+PS £20k NAP 300+PS £7k = £27k
Vitus RI-100 £10k (with on-board dac)

An integrated amp? Back when I was at school I spent my formative years with an integrated amp (I’m looking at you NAD 3020e) longing for the day when I could separate into pre- and power amp heaven. So the idea of an integrated amp took some getting used to. But cutting down from a potential 4 to 1 box worth of amplification was tempting. This was the first non-Naim product I had listened to at home for over 20 years. To start with I was rather unimpressed. The RI-100 was running cold, the Naim sounded as PRaTy as ever and after half an hour of A/B testing I had dismissed the Vitus.

A couple of days later, with the Vitus having been idling on heat for 48 hours, I sat and listened to some music. Now things were sounding very different. Instead of going back and forth to do A/B testing I just sat and listened. I was slowly but surely drawn into what was happening. This was different. I am no hifi poet, as the writers in the mags are, but what I can say is that for the first time familiar tracks began to sound more complete, more like music. Whereas the Naim sounded exciting and toe-tapping (the over-used but perfectly described PRaT) the Vitus sounded like music. Getting as technical as I am able: the Naim had a lower-mid and digital treble boost, this made it exciting but it had always had a tendency to grate on certain recordings, what's more I would have a fatigued ear after an hour at anything other than low volume. Not so the Vitus. And I now understand the word transparent. The music just is. And the music had depth, I mean a three-dimensionality.

After living with the Vitus for a few evenings I went back to jump-up & sit-down A/B testing. The 552/300 combo would somehow overemphasise parts of the music. So, John Martyn’s Solid Air: the Naim throws the vocal as a distinct ‘thing’ in front of the speaker, separated form the music behind, but now I realised this was not a natural thing, and there was little more depth than that. The Vitus sat music from the plane of the speaker and behind, a long way behind, into the space. But it sounded somehow more organic. I want to be able to describe the differences but I am finding the words hard to articulate.
So with the Vitus we are looking at a sweeter treble, a less forward sound but no less detailed, and a very transparent mid. And the bass? The B&W 804 Diamonds are light on bass, the way I like it as I have a boomy room, but the bass was tighter with the Vitus, much tighter. The Naim sometimes sounds like it has a bit of a lower mid or is it upper bass exaggeration and this was absent from the Vitus. That effect (colouration?) on the Naim yields some recordings a warmth in that register that the Vitus would sometimes lack. But that very exaggeration in those frequencies meant that on direct comparison that the Naim didn't sound quite as organically whole.

If I was playing rock or dance/electronic or current, heavily compressed, music the Naim was initially more impressive. But with a balanced diet of music I was all-in for the Vitus. Given the price of the Vitus new is a bit over 40% of the price of the Naim new, and it is one box vs four…it all seemed too good to be true. Who’d have thought an integrated amp could sound so good. If music could sound so different I was excited to explore the other options.

Luxman Vs Naim

Luxman C700U pre £6k and M-700U Power £6k

Next up was the Luxman two box solution. If the Vitus made things sound more natural the Luxman was a different beast altogether. The Luxman was like listening to velvet. Music enveloped you, it was SO warm and lush. There was not even a hint of the harsh treble the Naim could throw out on certain recordings. Female vocals were sumptuous, and best of all 50s and 60s swing recordings (I’m talking Sinatra et al) sounded incredible. In fact most recordings up until the mid-70s were presented beautifully by the Luxman. Even rock sounded good, or at least Dark Side by Pink Floyd did, grittier rock such as Led Zeppelin was a little soft. Where the Luxman fell down for me was the lack of excitement and detail. So when the music was simple and swinging (Sinatra), or had good rock textures (Floyd), or had a harder-edged female vocal, it was excellent, softening the edges to a sound of luxury. But if the music had a lot of detail, or a strong beat to it, then it lacked the excitement of the Naim and it lacked the natural transparency of the Vitus, and I missed these big time. Classical music, which I thought would benefit here, could sound muddy when it got complex,and lacked detail when it was simple chamber music. Daft Punk or Kraftwerk sounded soft and a little turgid. But despite that I really liked the Luxman, really liked it.

In a few years I can see myself returning to the Luxman when I want a softer, gentler sound. It’s a return to the womb, for times to be enveloped in blurred but sumptuous music. But for now it just lacked the dynamism I wanted.

Devialet Vs Naim

Devialet 220 £6k

This is a unfair on the Devialet as we are not comparing like with like. The Naim gear is £27k’s worth compared to a £6k Devialet. Nevertheless I will report on what I heard.

The technology and look of the Devialet is impressive. Here is an integrated amp that looks a little like a sleek set of bathroom scales, and certainly no thicker and not much heavier, and it was up against the 4 box Naim, the 2 box Luxman and the chunky tall and exceedingly heavy Vitus. The Devialet was optimised for my speakers through the on-board software.

But I found the sound was not to my liking. It had the brashness of the Naim without the excitement and the refinement. Whilst the 552/300 combo is exciting it really does have refinement. And when you hear the Devialet at one-quarter of the price you really notice that refinement difference. Compared to the Luxman and the Vitus (still unfair as the Devialet is an amp at around half the price) the Devialet had detail but it lacked the musicality of the Vitus and was not subtle in the way it portrayed the music. The bass was looser than the Naim. I don’t have so much to say: whereas the Vitus and the Luxman were very different to each other and to the Naim, the Devialet was broadly similar to the presentation of the Naim, but just not as good in all departments.

CONCLUSION

The Naim, Vitus and Luxman are all very different beasts and all have their attractive qualities. Like much high-end hi-fi some of this amplification suits some types of music and some ears better than others. For my ears right now the Vitus was the clear winner. There are types of music which sounded more impressive on the Naim, and types which just sounded better on the Luxman. But for all-round detailed, transparent, three dimensional, musical presentation the Vitus was a clear winner. And in one box, who’d have thought it?

The Vitus did most things better than the Naim, whereas the Luxman just did things differently. So between Vitus and Naim there is no contest for me, and with the new price being £27k Naim v £10k Vitus the Naim makes no sense to me. With Vitus v Naim I would wager most extended blind testing would fall for the Vitus as it does most of what it does better and it does not fatigue at all. There is the 'Naim sound' which is very evident when you compare it to the transparency of the Vitus, and I can see there is an immediacy to that which some may prefer. But after you have heard the Vitus the Naim sound actually starts to sound wrong. It's an odd sensation. With Vitus v Luxman the difference needs to be heard as it’s warm velvet vs clear water. You have to hear the difference to know which you’ll like better.

If only I’d known this 20 years ago I maybe would never have gone blindly for Naim. Though maybe it’s that other manufacturers have caught up with Naim, or maybe I just fell for the marketing of Naim and those lovely olive boxes back in 1998 when I finally moved my NAD 3020e on and into the basic Naim system. After that I just blindly followed the Naim upgrade path.

I’ve been doing a fair bit of demoing of cables, speakers and sources recently. If that is of interest to people here on this forum then let me know and I’ll get around to writing them up one day.

Hey, thanks for such an interesting and articulate write up... so did you buy the Vitus?
If not, try and get a home demo of an Accuphase intigrated, or pre/power if affordable.
Mac

I would agree with @Warszawa in that the Luxman house-sound (smooth, soft and velvet) could be good if you have very forward harsh-sounding speakers that you don’t want to change.
It’s definitely not etched or forward, but to my ears it just gets most things spot on. It certainly won’t sugar-coat nor artificially ‘sharpen’ the sound, and so I think it’s a pretty truthful amp with great balance. It also never sounds obviously ‘hifi’, which I think is a good thing in that it draws no attention to itself.

Hey, thanks for such an interesting and articulate write up... so did you buy the Vitus?
If not, try and get a home demo of an Accuphase intigrated, or pre/power if affordable.
Mac

Yes I did buy a Vitus amp, originally I went for the SIA-025 instead of the RI-100 as it was even more significantly refined. Since then I went for the SIA-030 which is simply an incredible amp.

I have never heard an Accuphase but I do like their philosophy.

I tried the sia 025 earlier this year, as was looking at options over my 500dr and 552 non dr.
At first i liked the sound, it had a bit more detailed sound and extra width over what i had at that time, but as the days went on and the time got near to making the swap, i began to miss the naim.
I realised that i had stopped listening to my music and instead just listened to music that sounded good on the vitus, as it highlighted more the good and bad in track recording quality, so much so that i only was only listening to a limited stuff, now that would be great if all albums were of an excellent quality, but there not.
Maybe it was because i have the excellent DCS rossini and clock fronting it all, i dont know, but i just happened to swap it over for a last minute, you are certainly making the right decision, and found to my surprise that i wasn't.
Since then i have had my 552 and power supply serviced and DR'ed, this certainly made a big difference to it, and gave it the missing detail it lacked, it has also been further improved by a new witchhat morgana burndy cable ( not out yet) this latest addition has taken the 552 to a much higher level, and certainly shows how much the standard cable holds it back, what with the same witchhat morgana xlr's on the 500dr amp, i already had these, my system now has a much improved loom.
It now far exceeds what i remember the vitus could do, the involvement, detail, space, etc, it is the best sounding 500/552 system i have ever heard, and certainly not looking to change.
Yes the vitus has its charms like most high end kit does, and sometimes a change is good in life, but seeing guys like myself that have been naim uses for a very long, something must be right, plus you also see naim guys sell up only to come back in a year's time.
But as always whatever makes us all happy at this time is right for you, and we are all different, have different gear, different rooms and different tastes, so its good that we have lots of different gear to choose from

I had a naim system for over 20 years & greatly enjoyed it but the cost of the 500 series is way beyond my means.

There are a lot of alternatives out there & none of them make bad music sound good.

Thanks @duckworp for a fascinating post.

I was a hook line and sinker Naim fan but I’ve totally lost the faith. I swapped a CDX2 for a cheapish Cambridge Audio CD Transport and a RME ADI-2 DAC recently and the difference was unbelievable (despite costing zero extra cash second hand). I had previously thought that I needed an XPS to improve the sound. How wrong I was.

I thought Naim was 10x better when I first heard their entry level gear in the late 90s. They seem to be trading on past glories now, at least to my ears.

One huge advantage of Naim, though, is the liquid second hand market. No one seems to get stuck trying to sell the mainstream Naim products, no matter how old. By contrast, I remember watching a Vitus amp stick around on the classifieds for ages. Bump after bump after bump and price reduction after price reduction and no takers.

So anyone buying high end kit that isn’t Naim could be on the hook for thousands of pounds in net transfer costs. That factor should certainly be taken into account.

Yes the vitus has its charms like most high end kit does

Comparing a £19000 integrated with a pre.-power kit around double that is a bit odd. The 500 has around 100 watts in AB (?) but the Vitus 25 watts in class A. I'd say that the speakers should have had quite a bearing on that comparison. Was CD the only source you used?

Whereas I swapped my 135s for 100 watt valved mono's rather than go to 500, I kept the 552, which mated well. When I chopped out the 552 for the matching valved pre., i was amazed at the difference. however, there must have been synergy at work here, and again, with big ESLs, the valves may well have had the edge on synergy, though I wouldn't have known at the time. My 01, vinyl rig, TV and Lector CDP all improved, though the substitution of 552 for EAR 912 was far far greater in effect than the substitution of 135s for 2 mono's.

Why did you choose a Vitus, let alone a lower powered integrated, to compare, or did the opportunity just present itself, may I asK?

I suppose the key question is what makes a £30k amp ‘better’ than one at mere £19k.

It is ultimately all a nonsense.

I wonder how a Rega Osiris would compare against the Vitus offerings. I moved to Osiris after comparison to 552/300 & 52/500. On paper I'd use the same words as used to describe the Vitus. Note that correct cabling is important! Stock Rega cables don't drop the Osiris justice IMO.

Merry Xmas.

Yes, I have slightly forward sounding speakers with the Luxman and the match is quite stunning. I'm pretty sure the Vitus is great but the price is out of my budget.

Tell me more about it. Is it power cord, interconnects or speaker cables? Good to note the Osiris is up there with the best.

The power cord is neither here nor there, i.m.o., as long as it's adequate. Prob. the speaker cables, as synergy between various amplification and speaker combinations is anything but universal regarding connectivity and kit itself. Can't think what effect I/Cs would have, except on the incoming signal from sources.

I'd further suggest that the quality of mains supply is high up there in priorities, though that would apply to all kit, not just amplification. The various connections between plugs, sockets and fuses creates impedance changes at each junction. For oxidised connections, much more so.

suppose the key question is what makes a £30k amp ‘better’ than one at mere £19k.
It is ultimately all a nonsense.

Well, maybe the cost contrast might be, but the differences in s.q. and presentation between amplifiers, as all else in hifi, is anything BUT nonsense.

advertisement

Back