advertisement

A review of some amps on home demo: Naim v Luxman v Devialet v Vitus

Ha ...Who could ever admit that they were silly to pay £20k for a 552? Basically no one.

May I suggest exploring the Naim forum, some people can't repeat/admit enough times with some self-congratulation, that they have now purchased a Supernait 3, a 555 psu, a full loom Lumina, a Statement or whatever.

May I suggest exploring the Naim forum, some people can't repeat/admit enough times with some self-congratulation, that they have now purchased a Supernait 3, a 555 psu, a full loom Lumina, a Statement or whatever.
That rather makes his point for him. Someone who goes from one astronomically priced item to another one from the same brand, and lets everyone else know, is certainly not saying " you know what, it isn't worth spending these stupid sums ".

Talking of SBLs, I thought it stood for 'single box loudspeaker', but when I had them for a while, I could swear there were 2 boxes. Never seen the DBLs, but are there 3 boxes, following the 'plus one' format? Never come across a TBL; now that really would be fugly.

There are a lot more aesthetically displeasing speakers that the SBLs; they' are neat, boxy and self-effacing, to my mind. In fact, as their presentational sonic signature is (or was in my case) distinctly cool, I'd guess that colloquial adjective could also apply to their appearance. I think you have to go to Klipsch and also those strange horn creations (Avant-Garde?) to seriously stray from artistic design, but 'chacon a son gout (sp?).

Not sure which came first; my old Leak 2075s or the Daleks. Maybe the latter but the former were marginally more euphonic.

Especially when they are uncertain, people will look to the actions and behaviors of others to determine their own

Indeed I think I’ll post “I’ve just added a second 555PS to my ND555” on the Naim forum rather than on PFM.

.sjb

Tell me more about it. Is it power cord, interconnects or speaker cables? Good to note the Osiris is up there with the best.

I suspect the Osiris is up there. I'm still delighted with mine - with no urge to change. Something I never felt with my NAIM setup.
w.r.t. wiring loom - I wasn't overly forensic - always used Mogami speaker cable - and change from Rega Power & IC to Atlas Power and RFC Saturn (balanced) from Isis to Osiris. I'd describe the lack of sonic signature very similar to Duckworp's description of Vitus. Hence my musing. No amp changes planned - but might have a play with EWA speaker cable, :)

I cannot take the views seriously of anyone who finds the SBL ugly. In a nice wood finish they are a true design classic which fit in perfectly with the average home.

I think naim make great gear but it has become overpriced. Plenty of other options are available.
I agree with this. They have some good, well built gear that has a good pedigree. Today’s pricing is laughable.

I suspect the Osiris is up there. I'm still delighted with mine - with no urge to change. Something I never felt with my NAIM setup.
w.r.t. wiring loom - I wasn't overly forensic - always used Mogami speaker cable - and change from Rega Power & IC to Atlas Power and RFC Saturn (balanced) from Isis to Osiris. I'd describe the lack of sonic signature very similar to Duckworp's description of Vitus. Hence my musing. No amp changes planned - but might have a play with EWA speaker cable, :)

The Rega Isis I had definitely improved with Atlas Mavros IC but I stayed with the supplied Rega reference mains so I’m not surprised the Osiris is improved with better cabling. The Isis was used with Naim amps & speakers if that helps.

I heard an Isis, Osiris & R10 demo years back when Rega launched the reference kit and remember it sounded superb. Isis & Osiris can be found a really decent prices used - a bargain IMO.

Rega have great customer service too.

Separate box loudspeaker.
Have been loving mine over the break

Ah! Separate, not single. how silly of me but it's probably a memory/age thing rather than total imbecility. I'm working on the 'D' in DBL now......!

So many stative verbs (i.e. those which are not used in the continuous because they're 'states' of mind; e.g. like, hate etc.) are now being used actively. Not yet kosher in grammatical terms but maybe getting there eventually, care of McDonald's. ;)

I'm working on the 'D' in DBL now......!

DBL is more difficult. In his Hifi Choice review Jon Honeyball said at the time:

"One can never trust Internet rumours, but the one that circulates about the naming (naiming?) of the DBL is too delicious to pass over. The official line is that DBL stands for Double Box Loudspeaker, or something equally boring. The rumours suggest the prototype name was FBL, where the F was rude and decidedly Anglo Saxon, while BL stood for ‘Big Loudspeaker’."

Tim

advertisement

Back