advertisement

A review of some amps on home demo: Naim v Luxman v Devialet v Vitus

I can't bring myself to put a like against your post, you've really let the side down
Joking aside what are you using as a streamer, or is that part of the Vitus dac?
Looks very smart, hope you enjoy

@Cereal Killer : That is a big surprise, I have had the impression that you are a big Audionet Fan and wouldn't go away from the brand.

Yes you’re right, I never thought I’d happen either. But since adding the PSU to DNA effectively making it a two box system, I’d been having thoughts of a pre/power system. Was going to track down an Audionet DNP and monos but then this came up... the rest is history!

it’s a sweet Xmas present, from me to me ;)

The power cord is neither here nor there, i.m.o., as long as it's adequate. Prob. the speaker cables, as synergy between various amplification and speaker combinations is anything but universal regarding connectivity and kit itself. Can't think what effect I/Cs would have, except on the incoming signal from sources.

I'd further suggest that the quality of mains supply is high up there in priorities, though that would apply to all kit, not just amplification. The various connections between plugs, sockets and fuses creates impedance changes at each junction. For oxidised connections, much more so.

Well, maybe the cost contrast might be, but the differences in s.q. and presentation between amplifiers, as all else in hifi, is anything BUT nonsense.
Yes but investment level is no guarantee, hence my comment

Yes you’re right, I never thought I’d happen either. But since adding the PSU to DNA effectively making it a two box system, I’d been having thoughts of a pre/power system. Was going to track down an Audionet DNP and monos but then this came up... the rest is history!

it’s a sweet Xmas present, from me to me ;)
I don’t really understand this as I thought what you had was SOTA?

Yes I did buy a Vitus amp, originally I went for the SIA-025 instead of the RI-100 as it was even more significantly refined. Since then I went for the SIA-030 which is simply an incredible amp.

I have never heard an Accuphase but I do like their philosophy.

Congrats and here's to hours of long enjoyable listening.
Mac

Beautiful!

it seems somewhat pathetic to enjoy looking at other people’s hifi setups as much as I do. But hey ho.
No different to admiring other folks shiny motors. Problem posting pics of your kit os the bloody dust that shows up even if you’ve just cleaned the rack. I also like to check out other guys rooms/systems, admire the really tidy ones, I like swapping around too much to have a poster child system, always bits and bobs around.

No different to admiring other folks shiny motors. Problem posting pics of your kit os the bloody dust that shows up even if you’ve just cleaned the rack. I also like to check out other guys rooms/systems, admire the really tidy ones, I like swapping around too much to have a poster child system, always bits and bobs around.

True! And thank god that I have no interest in cars. I keep telling my wife that hifi is an inexpensive hobby when compared with cars, skiing and gambling.

Look at it like visiting a hifi show but lacking the sound element ! :D

Hah! Now it seems even more pathetic: looking at something that’s designed to be heard. But I guess it’s the same at car shows: watching something stand still that’s designed to move.

Off topic but this reminds me of a pair of SBLs that I owned briefly. I thought they sounded awful but I think their looks offended me even more. An SBL is a seriously UGLY speaker.

I wonder how much aesthetics influence the subjective experience of sound. Probably more than we care to admit.

To take it one level further, I wonder how much better a set up sounds if one knows that others are envious of the set up. This could be the genius of Naim: getting people to pay £20k for a box so that those people can tell other people that they have a £20k box. Surely confirmation bias and the ‘consistency’ rule of Cialdini’s Influence research kicks in massively at that point. Who could ever admit that they were silly to pay £20k for a 552? Basically no one.

For context: https://www.influenceatwork.com/principles-of-persuasion/

advertisement

Back